Nothing Exciting

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Nothing exciting happened yesterday. I went down to the boat to work on the head replacement that I had started over a month ago. As I arrived at the lake I noticed a slight breeze blowing. Since the temperature was in the mid 50's I thought why not take her out for an hour or so before I start work. Well as luck would have it, as soon as I got the sails raised, the wind died. I checked the mesonet station in town just over the mountain range which is less than 5 miles away, and it was showing 5 - 7 WSW. OK, I'll just wait a minute for the wind to return. It never did. The whole afternoon I had just enough way to control the heading, but not enough to say I was actually sailing. Just enough to keep me thinking any minute the wind will return and I will get my hour "sailing fix" to get me by for another month. I stayed out to watch the sunset but that wasn't even all that spectacular. I tried hard to see the green flash, but that never occurred either.
Light wind sunset.jpg

I envy you guys that get to take your boat out of the water every winter and have dedicated time to do upgrades without distractions.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Yeah, that happens to me a lot. *arrives at dock with all the parts*
*slight breeze of wind*
"*gasp* SCREW IT, we're sailing today, we'll make repairs later..."
Friends: "wh-what?? I thought we were just-"
"NO. There is wind. We sail now."

They're usually not too opposed to my suggestion :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That is what I miss with my Mac. We sometimes get nice days during the winter that are "sail-worthy" and it was no big deal to launch as long as the reservoir level was up. In fact I sold it in January and was able to take the buyers out on her.

Jan 8, 2015
Yeah, that happens to me a lot.
"*gasp* SCREW IT, we're sailing today, we'll make repairs later..."
:)
Good to know that is not just me. I was starting to get concerned that I might have been perceived as slightly irresponsible.

Jan 8, 2015
You own a sailboat, for goodness sake. How do you think people percieved you?

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will,
I am good at putting across a false front. I can appear as intelligent, knowledgeable, courteous, compassionate, and sincere. However, I don't tell people that I own a sailboat! I tell them I own a yacht!

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
Will,
I am good at putting across a false front. I can appear as intelligent, knowledgeable, courteous, compassionate, and sincere. However, I don't tell people that I own a sailboat! I tell them I own a yacht!
That's hilarious. My wife does the opposite. In public she always refers to our Yacht club as a "boat club" to avoid sounding pretentious.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
That's hilarious. My wife does the opposite. In public she always refers to our Yacht club as a "boat club" to avoid sounding pretentious.
I'll have to remember that. Our yacht club doesn't have many yachts in it. It is a working person's idea of a yacht club. The club is maintained pretty much by the members, and the dues and fees are reasonable. A few years ago, I put into a real yacht club in Conn. The dining room tables were set with china, and the waiters had gold epaulettes. There was even an attendant in the men's room.:cool: I wonder what the dues are like there?