Not so nice boom end fittings

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
The in mast furling on my boat is great except it takes real grinding on the winch to unfurl and furl. I looked carefully at the boom and a tech looked at it and we agreed: The boom end fittings were a poor choice by Beneteau.

The outhaul line comes back from a car on the boom, then does a 180 degree turn around the outboard boom end. The line runs over metal, not a sheave. The line goes forward inside the boom, then does a 90 degree turn down to the deck. Again, the line runs over metal, not a sheave. When I stand on deck I can pull the sail out easily. I grab the outhaul line where it comes out of the boom and pull down and it is ridiculously hard to pull the sail out.

Why the heck didn't Beneteau use boom end fittings with sheaves? Or is the mechanical advantage so little compared to the bare metal it wasn't worth the cost?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
They did use boom end fittings. Perhaps a previous owner modified it or possibly the acetal sheave has completely deteriorated and all that is remaining is metal. While you’re at it, the furling line on the furler drum should be replaced if it is over 3-4 years. The line swells and binds inside the furler. And, the furler unit should be disassembled, cleaned, and relubricated. US Spars will service the unit and replace the line for a reasonable fee. Finally, don’t forget to lubricate all of the turning blocks and boom track / car; there is a lot of potential friction in the furling system.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
US Spars will service the unit and replace the line for a reasonable fee.
I had mine done for ≈$180 and the new furling line offset my Postage charge to get it to them.

I thought I had bent the line guide slot, they verified not bent.
Jim...

PS: The new line was really "slick" and seems to be a type that reduces "swelling"

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Sounds like maybe you are missing a sheave or two ? Pictures would help

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Pictures would help
:plus:

Our 2014 Beneteau / US Spars mast has sheaves for the outhaul. I can furl/unfurl without a winch, although not quite one-handed the way some videos show. I guess it's possible that Beneteau cheaped out in the years since then, but it seems a strange place to save a buck if it introduces so much more friction.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
I bought the boat new last year, so this is how it came from the factory. Maybe it was an off day in Marion.....

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I bought the boat new last year, so this is how it came from the factory. Maybe it was an off day in Marion.....
A Friday before a long holiday weekend maybe :banghead::beer::beer::beer:.

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Strange, I own a Beneteau and chartered several before purchasing; all had sheaves at the end of the boom. Perhaps you & your rigger can install one. Look to US Spars for advice.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Strange, I own a Beneteau and chartered several before purchasing; all had sheaves at the end of the boom. Perhaps you & your rigger can install one. Look to US Spars for advice.
One of the techs from the dealership looked it a couple of days ago and he said the boom was set up incorrectly. From the responses here that is the case. Now, to get Beneteau to fix it.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I have a 2004 373 - The boom end has sheaves for sure (If I recall, there's an extra one that's not used in there)... At last check, my sheaves spin freely, and are in good condition, and my outhaul car slides easily along the boom track, but I too find there to be WAY too much friction in the system when using lines from the cockpit... mostly in outhauling, but also to a much-lesser-extent in furling the sail in as well (though not nearly as bad). This is only season 2 with the boat for me... and I haven't gotten to everything on my to-do-list of improvements... the sail is practically new, but the lines (outhaul and furling) are very old - possibly original. And while they're visually in good condition (never used much) it is very possible that they've swolen or are somehow contributing to the difficulty. If I stand on deck and pull the sail out, there'e very little friction there, which to me says: 1) The problem is not with the sail itself or mast/slot. 2) The problem is not primarily with the furling line or how it fits/spirals since... at least not primarily... or that would contribute friction when pulling out by hand as well. The primary issue is definitely SOMEWHERE (and maybe EVERYWHERE) along the outhaul line... haven't checked the 90 degree turn where the line comes down out of the boom toward the deck. I've tried using the topping lift to raise the boom up a bit... It may be a little better that way... but not significantly so. I think at the end of this season I may put some time into troubleshooting/improving this system, but for now, in our short New England sailing season, I keep opting for "just get out there and sail" rather than working on it... Mostly I go up on deck, and pull the sail out by hand, while my wife takes up some of the slack in the outhaul line by hand... then I winch (with difficulty) the rest of the slack once I return to the safety of the cockpit.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Agree with there should be something more than metal for the line to glide over. My 2006 B323 has sheaves at both ends 0f the boom AND 2 in the middle to increase mechanical advantage. When you say "Metal" do you mean the casting of the boom ends, or a bolt the width of the boom?

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Agree with there should be something more than metal for the line to glide over. My 2006 B323 has sheaves at both ends 0f the boom AND 2 in the middle to increase mechanical advantage. When you say "Metal" do you mean the casting of the boom ends, or a bolt the width of the boom?
The casting of the boom ends. Next time I'm at the boat I'll take pictures.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Doh!

I heard back from Annapolis Yacht Sales where I bought the boat. They checked the 35.1 they have in inventory for sale. There are no sheaves on the boom ends of that boat!!!

However, AYS agrees that this doesn't seem right, so they sent an inquiry to Beneteau. Might be a while before a reply: Beneteau is closed for the month of August.....

[The last time I saw a delay like that is when I attempted to order parts from Ducati.]

May 17, 2004
Doh!

I heard back from Annapolis Yacht Sales where I bought the boat. They checked the 35.1 they have in inventory for sale. There are no sheaves on the boom ends of that boat!!!

However, AYS agrees that this doesn't seem right, so they sent an inquiry to Beneteau. Might be a while before a reply: Beneteau is closed for the month of August.....

[The last time I saw a delay like that is when I attempted to order parts from Ducati.]
Remarkable that they would make them that way. The outhaul is not only needed for unfurling but it's also a valuable sail control. Even little boats that don't need as much tension on their outhauls have sheaves.
I wonder if US Spars might be able to give some insight while Beneteau is closed.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
On another forum a member tracked down the part. The boom ends are Sparcraft LF220. "Low friction" boom ends which are "low maintenance" since they don't have sheaves. The brochure even lists the Oceanis 35 as one of the boats this fitting is used on.

From the picture of the end (below) it is possible Beneteau is using a line which is too thick for the fitting. A thinner line might go through the end without binding. Still a poor design.

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I would snap a picture and call US Spar. They are very helpful and will tell you right up front if that is correct as they provided the assembled mast / boom to Beneteau. On the mast there should be a plate also with the model / serial number of the spar. btw, my 2005 423 has sheaves that the lines pass through and the furling / unfurling can be done easily from the cockpit by hand.....

Good Luck.
Greg

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The tension and friction on the line going through that 180 would certainly make it difficult to pull, even if the material was some super slippery stuff.

May 17, 2004
The boom ends are Sparcraft LF220. "Low friction" boom ends which are "low maintenance" since they don't have sheaves.
Funny, in a depressing way. Their marketing department deserves an award for that one. Unmaintained Sheaves in the worst case will seize or disintegrate, resulting in pretty much the same amount of friction as the "new and improved" design.