Not perfect launch day…

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
How was Maui doing when you were there? The Lahina fire was a terrible tragedy. Did the Banyan tree survive?
I hear the tree signs of life, but I did not go into Lahaina. The rest of the island is open for business, even the west end past Lahaina is opening up.
Unusual sea-state though (waves and surf on the Kihei side of the island) that tore up the beaches, ruined snorkling and shore reef diving for a few weeks at least. Kind of unusual from what the local dive master was telling me. I only got out for 1 dive, and both were in Molokini crater because the reef off McKenna Landing was too silty to see anything.

Housing situation seems to be getting worse as FEMA is contracting a lot of space for displaced folks from Lahaina. So less units available for folks like to me to rent (and prices are higher than ever). That is what led me to purchase in SW Florida.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
What's involved in the rebuild?
Main sail and clew connection needs rebuilding. If I have to do that, I might as well do a complete rebuild of the main sail system.

All my bright work needs refinishing. I have a wooden hand rail (don't recall what they are called) on my port side cabin top that has to be rebuilt. I'm considering changing it to SS which would mean both sides would be rebuilt. I might as well get both fore sails serviced. The sunbrella likely needs replacing. Lots of the exterior wood needs attention. Like all of it...

I need to restitch parts of my dodger and patch one area that suffered chafe. If budget allows, I may either replace the lenses or maybe just build a solid dodger

I'd like to make new sail cover for the main sail, the original is really getting old.

My windlass needs service, the clutch is being glitchy.

One support bar holding my davits/solar panel up has to be rebuilt. That will actually cause me to redesign that member and I'll rebuild both supports.

My automatic bulge pump switch stopped working, so I have to dig into that system. The bilge pump still works, the last few weeks I simply kept an eye on the bilge - it's a very dry boat so I wasn't worried but I prefer it to work...

I want to do a number of upgrades, but those can all be done while sailing. Living on her for the past almost year has given me a list of things that would be nice to have...

iI' really love to have her back in tip-top shape so next year I could sail her back to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. But then come.back to the Chesapeake instead of heading ocean side...

Of course the glitch with the engine needs to be fixed - still looking at that...

dj

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I'd really love to have her back in tip-top shape so next year I could sail her back to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. But then come.back to the Chesapeake instead of heading ocean side...
Sounds like a lot of work. Musetta treated you well during your last adventure, so she's deserving of some TLC to bring her back to high standards for sailing the ocean blue. Good luck with the rebuild! :beer:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Sounds like a lot of work. Musetta treated you well during your last adventure, so she's deserving of some TLC to bring her back to high standards for sailing the ocean blue. Good luck with the rebuild! :beer:
Not all that much that has to get done to sail again - the main sail being the big project. But yes, she is a beast! What an amazing blue water cruising boat! Very deserving of being brought back to sterling condition.

dj