NOAA forecasts

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
We moved from Haven Harbor to Bohemia Vista so we could be an hour closer to home for some maintinaniece work.
Very happy with both marinas.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
We moved from Haven Harbor to Bohemia Vista so we could be an hour closer to home for some maintinaniece work.
Very happy with both marinas.
I'm in Spring Cove (i.e. next door north of you). If you noticed a kid (sometimes two) sailing a 16-foot sloop around- that's my kid with friends in Melges 16. We increased his boundary up to navigational light outside Gratitude this year-at 13 I think that's plenty... if he wants to go out further, we take our Mac 25 (Deep Blew) and play mother goose. If you are coming back next season, I'll be watching out for you:D.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
My experience is limited but it sure seems a lot more difficult in heavy winds when you are running. Maybe I am wrong but I'd rather be sailing close and into the wind when it's really gusting.

Yeah I know, you have a destination and at some point you may have to deal with running. Glad you had fun and played hookey!

Am I wrong? Running to me is the scariest.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Guys why not take a weather course?
I have taken one each winter for the last 2 years. First year it was local weather (Great lakes.) and last year it was world weather. All through the CSPC.
Link. http://www.cps-ecp.ca/
I learnt a ton!
For wind prediction I use wunderground.com There you can see different local or global weather stations and layer maps. Really handy to see the difference a front is making in real time.
I used to use Environment Canada's phone in weather report when I was contracting. It used to be very accurate when predicting when rain would start. (Used to be. There have been funding cuts...)
On my phone I have Accuweather. Wunderground, Wind Finder and the Weather Network.
All are very accurate for showing me ware the rain is. I make my own call on how long it will take to get to me and how long it will last. I've got really good at that.
Tomorrow the weather channel is saying 40% chance of rain. I'm saying no rain here.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
My experience is limited but it sure seems a lot more difficult in heavy winds when you are running. Maybe I am wrong but I'd rather be sailing close and into the wind when it's really gusting.

Yeah I know, you have a destination and at some point you may have to deal with running. Glad you had fun and played hookey!

Am I wrong? Running to me is the scariest.
Absolutely. When you are close to wind, you can control heel with the tension on the sail. In our conditions, I had a nightmare scenario of getting broached and not being able to do anything about it, since I could not reef at that time. I'm completely with you on that.

Last edited:

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Guys why not take a weather course?
I have taken one each winter for the last 2 years. First year it was local weather (Great lakes.) and last year it was world weather. All through the CSPC.
Link. http://www.cps-ecp.ca/
I learnt a ton!
For wind prediction I use wunderground.com There you can see different local or global weather stations and layer maps. Really handy to see the difference a front is making in real time.
I used to use Environment Canada's phone in weather report when I was contracting. It used to be very accurate when predicting when rain would start. (Used to be. There have been funding cuts...)
On my phone I have Accuweather. Wunderground, Wind Finder and the Weather Network.
All are very accurate for showing me ware the rain is. I make my own call on how long it will take to get to me and how long it will last. I've got really good at that.
Tomorrow the weather channel is saying 40% chance of rain. I'm saying no rain here.
Oh, I did all that, although I found wunderground being more accurate in long-range rather than the next day forecasts. NONE of my sources was predicting 2.5 ft waves OR 25 kts gusts...

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
No rain here (London) or in St Catherines or in between while traveling today.
Those 2.5' waves and wind gusts are just to keep us all on our toes.
(2.5' waves look allot bigger in a Siren 17!) I was trying to get onto Lake Erie in swells 9-12' this summer with the Siren 17. That was wild!
I turned back because my motor was not keeping up enough.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
No rain here (London) or in St Catherines or in between while traveling today.
Those 2.5' waves and wind gusts are just to keep us all on our toes.
(2.5' waves look allot bigger in a Siren 17!) I was trying to get onto Lake Erie in swells 9-12' this summer with the Siren 17. That was wild!
I turned back because my motor was not keeping up enough.
LOL, that's crazy! The biggest waves I've been out in Mac were about 3 to 3.5 ft, which makes crests appear at eye level. The problem with Chesapeake is there are NO long waves - it's all short chop. It's fun for 1/2 hrs , and then you want to come in and stop puking...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
No rain here (London) or in St Catherines or in between while traveling today. Those 2.5' waves and wind gusts are just to keep us all on our toes. (2.5' waves look allot bigger in a Siren 17!) I was trying to get onto Lake Erie in swells 9-12' this summer with the Siren 17. That was wild! I turned back because my motor was not keeping up enough.
Looks like you both predicted correctly. The forecast said 40% chance of rain. It didn't rain.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I would never get out if I followed the forecast. New England weather changes by the minute. I have had a blast with the whole crew on board in 20-25 with gusts. I use the stock roll reefing for the main and my small stock jib vs the genie. We sailed off Monomoy last year towing the inflatable in that stuff and made a steady 6.5knts. The only problem was that I had to lay on my stomach under the interior table to make drinks.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I actually modified the for cast at the timer....hAHAHAHA

Attachments

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I'm in Spring Cove (i.e. next door north of you). If you noticed a kid (sometimes two) sailing a 16-foot sloop around- that's my kid with friends in Melges 16. We increased his boundary up to navigational light outside Gratitude this year-at 13 I think that's plenty... if he wants to go out further, we take our Mac 25 (Deep Blew) and play mother goose. If you are coming back next season, I'll be watching out for you:D.
I have indeed seen your son out sailing. I noticed how careful he was to stay to the side of the channel and how carefully he crossed it. His sails where also timed just right. Very impressed.
(sorry all, tried to private message first)
Larry

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
I have indeed seen your son out sailing. I noticed how careful he was to stay to the side of the channel and how carefully he crossed it. His sails where also timed just right. Very impressed.
(sorry all, tried to private message first)
Larry
Thanks, Larry, I'll let him know. He is very proud of his abilities (and so am I), and the rules of the road were the first thing I taught him! (btw, the private message did not work for me either).