No-see-ums

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
:plus: on the tobacco, but as I don't smoke not always an option. I have used hydrogen peroxide to lessen the sting from red and fire ants with pretty good results. Gotta watch where you walk here in Fl. even in your own backyard. No runnin' through the grass barefooted here. Best way of avoiding the sting of No-See-Ums is to not go out at dawn or just before and after sunset when the air is still.
We’re trying to get on the boat before sunset but not always in the cards.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I got a wasp sting at camp Kanuga when I was a kid. I had heard about tobacco and bummed a cigarette off an older gentleman who, of course, didn't believe me, but I waved my swollen finger in front of him and breathlessly explained the miracles of tobacco until he finally gave me one. I tore it pen and wet it, applied to my sting and like magic, the swelling and burning went away.

I don't know a good solution for keeping no-see-ems away except to fill a hothub with deet, cover it over with no-see-em netting and get in top to your nostrils. I haven't tried it yet, but I am confident that would work.

When living in Florida, fire ants and I developed a special relationship. I'd walk my dog, where he'd stop to pee, I'd stand on a fire ant nest.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I thought the OP was to prevent the bite not the cure after. Does cannabis work as well as tobacco?:pimp:
Getting rid of the bites or the itch works for me. Maybe someone from Colorado could help us with the rest.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Equip your vessel with no see um screens. Stay inside during the early evening hours.... Here's an interesting article on noseeum screening

Btw, Sailrite.com sells no see um netting for $3.95/yd.... but this author recommends "bridal veil material"
True noseeums would get right through the fabric on the left. The one on the right looks better.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kermit, My wife did not understand your message till I told her. Sad state of affairs. A friend of our family, Gen. George Marshall is probably turning in his grave given today’s affairs

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I wonder where these folks are cruising. As I’ve noted many times, Admiral & I cruised anchorages of SW Florida for 11 yr as well as lived there on Tampa Bay. No-see-ums were a problem only when ashore in some places at some times; e.g., when sitting out during summer on someone’s pool patio, etc. We had no screens on the boat. We did not use much skin repellant or citronella. Recall, the sailing season in FL is October thru April, perhaps to mid-May. The flys thrive around brush/lawns in warm humid airs, not so much out on the water in even a light breeze during cooler, drier conditions. My advice to avoid being bitten: cruise when and where they are not! Anchor a 100 meters or more off the beach if possible.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Many people use laundry drier sheets as an insect deterent and repellant. They smell awful to me but you can rub them on your skin and also hang them around the cockpit. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Many people use laundry drier sheets as an insect deterert and repellant. They smell awful to me but you can rub them on your skin and also hang them around the cockpit. Good luck with that.
I have clipped dryer sheets to the brim of my hat to keep gnats away from my face and off of the nape of my neck. It works.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Drier sheet tucked in a sock helps to keep yellow jackets away from my feet and the ball when putting in the summer.

I hate no-see-ums. We had a mock-orange bush by the front door of the place my wife and I rented in Michigan. She would walk out the door and nothing happened. I walked out the door and they would swarm and snack on me. I never used the front door.

So happy they are not a PacNorthWest problem.

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
I use peppermint essential oil to relieve the itch of mosquito bites. I believe it also works for no-see-ums, but we don't have them here. Ants and bees I'm not so sure. My mom used baking soda paste for bee stings when I was little.
Jim