No-see-ums

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

Just to let you know the tropics has more than white sand beaches and blue water waiting for you when you travel. There’s also the tiny biting flies that can hardly be seen yet create much misery among cruisers. We’ve tried all types of sprays and home remedies without one single sure cure. The list includes many Deet varieties, UV combinations, and oils with coconut oil being the latest one we’re trying. Once bitten, there aren’t too many effective ways to reduce the itch. I’ve tried Benadryl and Claritan which slightly makes the itch tolerable. Any thoughts other than full body armor?

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I've had some luck with DEEP WOODS OFF, the powder spray. It's not as greasy as the regular. I've also heard they are attracted more if you have had a few cocktails. But cocktails and paradise go together, so I guess that's the price you have to pay.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Equip your vessel with no see um screens. Stay inside during the early evening hours.... Here's an interesting article on noseeum screening

Btw, Sailrite.com sells no see um netting for $3.95/yd.... but this author recommends "bridal veil material"

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I hate no-see-ems the most. The Afterbyte company is HQ'd here in Littleton. Their active ingredient is ammonia. They use mink oil to keep it from evaporating.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have tried this on wasp stings and fire-ant bites and I can say it really does work wonderfully for reducing the swell and itch. I have read that this also works on fly bites but I have not tried it yet...

TOBACCO!

Make a balm out of some chewing tobacco and water and rub it on the bite. If it is a serious bite (like a fire-ant or bee sting) I put a small wad of the balm under a band-aide and tape it over the bite. This works so remarkably well I am surprised the tobacco companies are not marketing a product specifically for this use. I have had fire ant bites that were completely undetectable the next day after this treatment. If it works on fly bites let us know. I'm curious.

Jan 19, 2010
The ammonia that Will mentioned makes sense. Bee stings and Fire-ant bites have acidic venom. Ammonia is a base. The alkaloids in tobacco are also basic. So you are actually neutralizing the sting or bite. Maybe fly bites are also acidic. If so, these remedies should work on those as well.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The ammonia that Will mentioned makes sense. Bee stings and Fire-ant bites have acidic venom. Ammonia is a base. The alkaloids in tobacco are also basic. So you are actually neutralizing the sting or bite. Maybe fly bites are also acidic. If so, these remedies should work on those as well.
So a baking soda paste might also be effective?

Better Living Through Chemistry!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Bases typically have some kind of hydroxyl group (e.g., NaOH); ammonia does not, NH3. At best, perhaps a very weak base in some way in solution. Better to rub w/ wetted baking soda, likely.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Bases typically have some kind of hydroxyl group (e.g., NaOH); ammonia does not, NH3. At best, perhaps a very weak base in some way in solution. Better to rub w/ wetted baking soda, likely.
Not correct. NH3 is classified as a Bronstead base... in other words it can accept a proton. When put into water the result is the release of a hydroxyl group.

NH3 + H2O --> NH4^+ + OH^-

When you buy aqueous ammonia what you are actually buying is (NH4)(OH)

And on the topic of "weak" and "strong" acids/bases. The term weak and strong say nothing about the reactivity but rather the ability to conduct electricity when put into water... It is a measure of the inonization of the molecule.

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
TOBACCO!
:plus: on the tobacco, but as I don't smoke not always an option. I have used hydrogen peroxide to lessen the sting from red and fire ants with pretty good results. Gotta watch where you walk here in Fl. even in your own backyard. No runnin' through the grass barefooted here. Best way of avoiding the sting of No-See-Ums is to not go out at dawn or just before and after sunset when the air is still.

Jan 19, 2010
:plus: on the tobacco, but as I don't smoke not always an option. ....
Hahaha.. yes it can be a problem. I keep a small amount of Redman in an old-school film canister and I keep that in my first-aid kit. I was at a family reunion once and my 11 year old daughter got bit by an ant, came up to me while I was talking to one of my uncles and asked me where the redman was... and told her. The look from my uncle was priceless.:what:

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Hahaha.. yes it can be a problem. I keep a small amount of Redman in an old-school film canister and I keep that in my first-aid kit. I was at a family reunion once and my 11 year old daughter got bit by an ant, came up to me while I was talking to one of my uncles and asked me where the redman was... and told her. The look from my uncle was priceless.:what:
Thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought about that. Cheaper than keeping a pack of cigs. I quit when cigs went to fourty cents a pack. Most likely saved my life.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Maybe try Listerine? It was mentioned in a thread last year.
We tried it during a week when the biting flies were very bad and it worked for us.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
:plus: on the tobacco, but as I don't smoke not always an option. I have used hydrogen peroxide to lessen the sting from red and fire ants with pretty good results. Gotta watch where you walk here in Fl. even in your own backyard. No runnin' through the grass barefooted here. Best way of avoiding the sting of No-See-Ums is to not go out at dawn or just before and after sunset when the air is still.
I live in fire ant country. The best thing we've found is a paper towel wet with Clorox- just wipe it over the sting areas. Neutralizes the poison.