No second reefing line

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Hi all, our B331 has a first reef that works well. But there is no #2, although there are pulleys on the sails and a stopper for it on the cabintop.

What should I do? Take the boom in at the end of the season and have the rivits pulled and then when it is apart, put the lines in? Or keep the boom as is and just use cheekblocks on the outside of the boom?
upload_2018-9-11_19-41-24.png

I'm frankly confused by the description of what Bluenose of Halifax (presumably soon to be "blue" because of cold?) said he has.

Above is the STANDARD Neil Pryde specs for the B331 conventional main sail. i.e., NOT the in-the-mast furler.
  • I can tell from the comments above that others must be confused.
  • The specs clearly show two reefs are provided.
  • These apparently are two sets of SINGLE LINE REEFING
  • It's possible that someone rigged one set of "double line reefing" for the first reef; and then??? I have no idea???
  • Anyway, below are some shots from the manual. The bottom two diagrams tell the story.
  • Oh, and Bluenose, do you have a copy of the manual for your boat? If not....you might download one.

upload_2018-9-11_19-56-5.png

upload_2018-9-11_19-59-32.png

What am I missing here? I'm confused by some of the comments above?

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
He most certainly has the set up you posted. I might have caused your confusion by referring to this as “simple two-line systems”, meaning two lines control BOTH reef#1 and reef#2. It is possible that someone incorrectly routed the two OEM installed reefing lines in a two-line reefing system on the reef#1. You could do that, but it would not be as designed. The sail is loose footed BTW. Good on you for posting those diagrams.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
two sets of SINGLE LINE REEFING
Clearly your chart shows a single line that is used to reef at point #1 on the sail and a second single line to reef at point #2 on the sail.
A double line reef would be interpreted to mean that there is a line for the tack and a line for the clew.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
It’s in the manual for your boat, Bluenose. The link is in a post above.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
OK, I found them and yes I have seen them in the book. I have the 4 blocks on the sails. But the only line that comes out of the boom is for the #1. From the look of that diagram, the #1 is spotted, the #2 is bold black - wonder if that means outside the boom?? (not likely)

When I take her out in a few weeks, I'll take the boom off and look harder. It appears that there is no other lines in the boom on the internal sheaves. Maybe someone pulled it out by mistake. I won't give up until I find the solution!!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Bluenose, if the line isn’t on the deck, then it was removed and needs to be restrung.

You will simply need to do that. You need to make the line long enough for the second reef (it will be much longer the the first reef NEEDs to be.

Did you just get this boat? Maybe the line is still on the boat somewhere?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... From the look of that diagram, the #1 is spotted, the #2 is bold black - wonder if that means outside the boom?? (not likely)
That color is so you can tell them apart in the diagram. They both go in the boom.

When I take her out in a few weeks, I'll take the boom off and look harder. It appears that there is no other lines in the boom on the internal sheaves. Maybe someone pulled it out by mistake. I won't give up until I find the solution!!
Sheesh- just put in a new one and be done with it. You have great diagrams to go by. On the other hand wait a while and you may find you'd never use a #2. I hardly do on a B323.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Sheesh- just put in a new one and be done with it. You have great diagrams to go by. On the other hand wait a while and you may find you'd never use a #2. I haredly do on a B323.
Ron; Chesapeake Bay must be a bit more benign than Lake Michigan, I use my second reef nearly as much as reef #1. Either that or I have wimpier crew.

Bluenose; just bite the bullet and string a new line. Its really not a difficult process. I pull mine out every couple of years and end for end them. I have even put in a longer internal outhaul and brought it back to the cockpit.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Did you do that w/o taking the boom apart, as I have no #2 reefing line whatsoever coming out of the boom!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Did you do that w/o taking the boom apart, as I have no #2 reefing line whatsoever coming out of the boom!
Bluenose:

Tie a messenger line from the foward or aft ends of the boom where you can get to the line that you have. Then you can pull it through the boom to the other block.

Just before you get to the other end, you can grab it with a tweezer or hook or ...; and then you can string it to the other block.

Or get an electrician's "snake" or wire puller, and just do it that way with a line. The rest of the diagrams that I posted above should allow you to get it done.

upload_2018-9-24_21-53-22.png

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Bluenose:
I did not need to take the boom apart, nor even remove it from the mast. I just made certain that the other reef line and outhaul were pulled tight and was careful not to get the lines tangled as I fed them through the boom.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Yes, OK, I see now what can be done. I thought there were a set of cars/pulleys inside, but no, just need to get from one end to the other. Thanks!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Do you have an outhaul that’s in the boom? Does it lead back to the cockpit or?

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
If you think you must use something "outside" to pull the line through you can always use one of the battens from the lazy bag!

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
@Bluenose , you may run into problems at the luff with your second reef. I'm still trying to figure out mine. The way my main is constructed, there are 'jumper' lines to the slugs for the first reef, to allow the sail to drop away from the mast when reefed. There are no jumpers for the second reef. My sail-maker told me this was intentional to avoid to much sail flopping around in a second reef, and I would have to manually remove the slugs from the track for the second reef. I'm not really happy about this as it means a trip to the mast in heavy weather. Anyhow, did not want you tearing off slugs when putting on your second reef, if yours is similarly designed.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
No, my sail does not come away from the mast at the first reef. When I pull the line, the block on the sail comes down to the boom, as does the one on the aft end of the boom. The sail stays attached to the mast; it only comes off the mast at the end of the season. Makes sense??