No good deed goes unpunished

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Many years ago I rehabilitated injured birds of prey. I gave my blood, sweat and tears for them. I also had non-releasable birds that I used in classrooms and public programs. They were a huge part of my life.

This is the thanks I get.
image.jpeg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Ya but….. today the wife and I took a little drive to ck the water levels of a local lake. wile near the base of the dam we spotted a pair of bald eagles as they took flight. they are majestic birds, if a bit rude at times ;)
We live a few miles from Wildlife Images also. I'm sure you've hear of them/Dave Sidon.
Washing off a little poo is small punishment after all the DDT we gifted them with over the years.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Many years ago I rehabilitated injured birds of prey. I gave my blood, sweat and tears for them. I also had non-releasable birds that I used in classrooms and public programs. They were a huge part of my life.

This is the thanks I get. View attachment 121013
well kermit you gotta hand it to them they hit the dark spots....... pretty good aim i would say

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Are they sitting on your masthead? If so, rig a pig-stick on a halyard. It has saved me from killing many a cormorant.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Those dark spots are where the solar panels were. And yes, their aim was pretty dang good.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have a similar problem on my bimini. I have most of it cleaned off, but still have residue. If you discover a process or solution that will remove all of the bird crap, please share. I have tried the solutions that are offered by Sunbrella and they have removed much but not all.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
let it dry completely and then brush it with the grain and then use a mild cleaner and wash it with a brush then rinse

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I have found that the sun and the elements bleach out those stains over time. The secret is to snuggle up to another boat with a higher mast.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
While removing a tick from a lizard on Lizard Island, Australia on the barrier reef, the sob bit me!
As you said, no good deed.........

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Are they sitting on your masthead? If so, rig a pig-stick on a halyard. It has saved me from killing many a cormorant.
I ran a dock pole up the mast and crossed my main and spinnaker halyards in front of the spreaders. Also have a line above the boom with VHF tape.
Funny thing, @RobertLangdirect joined our club a few months ago. I saw the cursed osprey on his mast and assumed Robert would be "The Chosen One." Yeah, not so much.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
During WW II, the Norden Bomb sight was invented and used on the bombers mostly known on the B 17. I guess they used that bomb site.

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
I use a rubber snake . but unfortunatly it for a diferant kind of bird. those pesky black crows, I guess a snake would be a snack for an eagle.my advice would be to string heavy monofilament at awkward angles as to keep it uncofortable for them.I have seen this used and works they dont like it. good luck

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
One other thought Kermie.. (and you probable knew this)...

From a perching perspective these birds are totally creatures of habit. In practical terms if means that they generally pick boats THAT DON"T MOVE, or don't move a lot. The winter off-season and you not sailing a lot probably factored hugely in them picking (on) you!

Sail more! ;^)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al

This is the thanks I get. View attachment 121013
this sorta reminds me of an artist rendering of a political campaign

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
What's a pig stick? I think I need one....lost a windex on my last boat due to a cormorant!