No Fuel Shut Off Valve on My 2007 Hunter 33

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
I have recently purchased a 2007 Hunter 33. I wanted to change the Racor fuel filter but could not locate the Fuel Shut off valve on the fuel tank. The user manual indicates one on the top of the fuel tank but there is no shut off valve between the fuel tank and Racor filter. How do you shut off the fuel flow to the Racor filter to change out the filter?
Thanks,

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Unless the fuel level in the tank is higher than the top of the filter you don't need one. There should be one for safety sake but it won't affect changing the filter much. Not having the valve will allow the fuel line to drain back into the tank and fill with air, which will make bleeding the system harder, but don't let that stop you from changing the filter. It needs to be done. While you have the lines opened and drained, that's a good time to put a valve in.
If the tank is higher than the filter, then you need to shut it off somehow or it will siphon out.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Mine is just behind the panel you remove in the aft cabin to access the fuel tank and holding tank. '05 H33

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I added one right at my Racor just for the reason Capt jgw indicates. It keeps the fuel from draining back. I do have a shut off at the tank, but it is a pain to rummage around down in the lazarette to shut it off, hence the belt and suspenders approach. Or is it belt and braces? :biggrin:

Shut Off Valve.jpg

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Thanks,
Tank is gravity fed I suspect and the Shut Off valve is not on the Engine pick up as shown in manual. Both fittings on the tank (Engine Pick Up and Return) look identical in that no shut off valve. Only 220 hours on the engine so maybe first time the filter was changed.
I like the solution you used Allan wrt the shut off valve being attached to the filter. What type of valve did you use (Size, Part number etc)?
I will still have to figure out how to stop the fuel flow to insert a new valve. Any suggestions short of draining the tank?

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
If a rubber hose just pinch it with 2 popsicle sticks and vice grips

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
raise the end of hose above the top of the tank level and keep it there till you get the valve installed

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
The solutions above for stopping the flow while installing are perfect. Or, stick a pencil in the tube.
I just bought the brass valve at the hardware store. I believe it has a 1/4" NPT (male pipe thread). Then there is a female side to the valve that accepts a male adapter (1/4" NPT male pipe to 5/16" barbed fitting). Maybe your rubber hose is 1/4" (I upsized mine to 5/16"), so better buy the 1/4" NPT to 1/4" hose adapter as well. If you look at my photo there is a silver looking adapter between the valve and the housing. That came with the Racor. My particular model has straight threads with an o-ring. That silver adapter converts to pipe thread. You can't just screw a NPT thread directly into the Racor (or at least my model). See if you can find the spec sheet for your particular model just so you know what to assemble.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Thanks...
I think I will apply all 3 suggestions wrt stopping the fuel flow. Will get the proper model number of my Racor filter this weekend to figure out the fitting issue wrt connecting the valve.
I may be back with other questions once I get started.

Thanks again,

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Thanks Scott....Mine looks like the 120R series without the priming nob (Unfortunately mine has the hex nut similar to Allan's picture).
Looks like 1/4 NPT thread so I should be able to pick up the Brass Shut off valve and fittings at local yacht shop (Checked Online).
New project for me before splash date. Scope creep again. Wife starting to wear her deck shoes to bead. Trying to send me a message I think. Happy thoughts!!

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Actually found the shut off valve. Was a lot smaller than i expected so allot of fumbling with my hands on the 2 hoses and I was able to locate it and shut off the fuel.
I have another question for 2007 (+/- years) Hunter 33 owners wrt the head sail size. has anyone experimented with a larger head sail or a more traditional one cut to the deck?