Newport RI to Mystic CT

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
This summer I am hoping to take the trip from Narragansett Bay to Mystic Ct for a few days. Is anyone familiar with the route, particularly when it comes to which side of Fisher Island to go on. In the picture attached the red arrow indicates the most direct route, but it is also loaded with reefs. (sorry i couldn't get a screen shot of the chart). I spoke with one person that always just goes around the West side of Fisher Island to get there as to not deal with the reefs, but that obviously adds a lot of time/distance.

Anyone familiar with the area know if the reefs are well marked or if it is reasonable to navigate? Also I am going to be just using paper charts and do not have a chart plotter installed on the boat.

Thanks all:beer:
Fishers Island.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
"On the Rocks" I hope that refers to a drink and not your boat....

Here is a link to NOAA where a chart of the area, and specifically the reefs can be found. Chart 13214
Always a good idea to have local charts available to plan your trip.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Hug the coast and take the channel right in front of Watch Hill. The course is parallel to the shore. Very well marked and this is used for commercial traffic. Foggy conditions will be daunting. I navigated this route for years do you have a depth sounder?

• Helpful

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Pretty straight forward. The charts are very good on Rocks aka reefs? The current is the biggest navigational issue. Fog would make it tougher without a chart plotter. The mooring field entrance I pretty amazing. Not a straight-in experience. Going up the river to the museum, or???

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I've been up the channel and through the train bridge on someone else's boat once a long time ago. The train bridge rotating the wrong way when your halfway through the pass has a bit of a pucker factor to it though.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Watch Hill Passage is fine. Study the buoyage carefully as it can be confusing. There are several passages and they all marked with buoys. So stick to the Watch Hill R2 and then R6 off Napatree and forget Sugar Reef Passage, Catumb Passage, Lord's Passage and Wicopesset Passage. Just consider Fisher's Island to extend to the Green Gong 1. The trip through Fischer's Island Sound is easier than it looks. Chances are excellent that you'll be in the company of other cruising traffic to comfort you. Fog changes the whole deal. While chartplotters will keep you off the rocks if you're zoomed in at the right level and even AIS will not help with other boat traffic. In Fisher's Island Sound there are ledges, reefs, rocks, clumps and dumplings. But they are pretty much easily avoided or have enough water over them.
Going South of FI is easy and I don't really think it's that much longer. If you're traveling with the current you'll shoot through either quickly. Going thru the "Race" West of FI can be a bit rough. If you are against the tide, which I don't recommend, you can slip sideways all the way down the Race until you're at Little Gull Island without getting into Long Island Sound. You could think you are having a grand sail but not nearing your destination. Watch for commercial traffic. Tugs with large barges appear as maybe a buoy that arouses curiosity to a looming threat in just a few minutes. Always monitor channel 16 in that area.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Also I am going to be just using paper charts and do not have a chart plotter installed on the boat.
It's winter, so if you have a smart phone, download The Navionics "Boating USA" app and learn it. It turns your phone into a full function chart plotter with auto updated detailed charts for under $20 per year license fee.
As for your trip - I know those waters well (keep my boat in Stonington) and recommend you to take the Fishers Island Sound route. It's sheltered from BI Sound and ocean waves, and the currents (although significant) are about half as strong as The Race. The reefs are all marked and charted.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This summer I am hoping to take the trip from Narragansett Bay to Mystic Ct for a few days. Is anyone familiar with the route, particularly when it comes to which side of Fisher Island to go on. In the picture attached the red arrow indicates the most direct route, but it is also loaded with reefs. (sorry i couldn't get a screen shot of the chart). I spoke with one person that always just goes around the West side of Fisher Island to get there as to not deal with the reefs, but that obviously adds a lot of time/distance.

Anyone familiar with the area know if the reefs are well marked or if it is reasonable to navigate? Also I am going to be just using paper charts and do not have a chart plotter installed on the boat.

Thanks all:beer:
View attachment 174244
We came through there 2 seasons ago for the first time and I don't recall anything that wasn't straight forward coastal piloting. Everything is well marked. Do yourself a favor and at least download a navigation app on a phone. There is quite a bit of traffic through that area and the currents run strongly.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The only thing I could add is getting a copy of Eldridge Tide and Pilot for 2020. Plenty of good information going back 350 years. If you leave Newport at the proper time, it will reduce your travel time by 2 hours. There’s also a table for determining how many degrees to change course based on the ratio of boat speed to current speed and angle of crossing.2F2B2768-6DD4-4966-84E8-DE11385D5ACE.jpeg

Last edited: