Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2012
Macgregor v21 carter lake
Hello everyone. Just a quick note to say how much I love the site. Took the plunge last night and purchased my first sailboat, a 78 v21 with the gold package, lol I'm sure going to enjoy sifting through the threads thanks in advance!

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks Stu I have a hull issue , short bunks. And maybe a PO strapping the boat down near the bow.I blocked the bow up to let off some pressure do I need to heat the hull on the outside or just let gravity run its course?

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
bassstar said:
Hello everyone. Just a quick note to say how much I love the site. Took the plunge last night and purchased my first sailboat, a 78 v21 with the gold package, lol I'm sure going to enjoy sifting through the threads thanks in advance!
Welcome Bass!

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Thanks Stu I have a hull issue , short bunks. And maybe a PO strapping the boat down near the bow.I blocked the bow up to let off some pressure do I need to heat the hull on the outside or just let gravity run its course?
What?
Don't heat your hull.
Is the hull indented ware it rides on the bunks? I recall the bunks being run for some length. Not the whole hull but maybe 1/2 of it.
I looked at a couple Mac 25's and saw stress cracks and what looked like it had been hit hard over a large area on the inside of the hull. (Crazing?) This was both sides at the front ware the bunk meets the hull and back as well.
Sorry don't know how to fix it. I'm sure its not with heat.
If you don't notice it when its in the water and it isn't affecting structural integrity.... Sail.

Nov 17, 2012
The gold package is the gold stripe and non skid. Lol made me think of the car dealers plating the trim gold years ago. As far as the hull goes I'm going to put longer bunks on the trailer. The PO told me that the sailboat dealer near boulder told him to raise the hull off the trailer heat it a bit on the outside with a heat gun and add some glass inside to stiffen it.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
The gold package is the gold stripe and non skid. Lol made me think of the car dealers plating the trim gold years ago. As far as the hull goes I'm going to put longer bunks on the trailer. The PO told me that the sailboat dealer near boulder told him to raise the hull off the trailer heat it a bit on the outside with a heat gun and add some glass inside to stiffen it.
Hmm. Did someone just wanted to get rid of the boat fast.
Did he say how to make it magically float in the air to preform the task?
I'd put it in the water and see if it flexes in those spots.
Have you any photos?
I would be inclined to repair it on the water too. Here is why: The force of the water will be more even than if you used slings or other devices to lift it. Hopefully if the hull is indented or misshapen this would fix it's self in the water without the weight of the boat on those areas. If It doesn't go back into shape it will be easier to force it into shape from inside without a bunk in the way.
Good luck.
EDIT: Don't heat your hull. Really. Don't.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the bunks should be about 8-10ft long.... and my 21 had the same issue. its caused from the trailer winch mounted so low that it pulls downward very hard on the hull.... a very poor macgregor design.
ya gotta let the tension off of the winch, block up under the rear of the trailer and jack up under the bow of the boat to raise it off the bunks.... then let gravity do its thing. you can look inside the access ports inside the hull for damaged fiberglass but im sure you wont find any. this is just normal with these boats on these trailers.
to keep it from happening again, install a cross member and roller under the bow and let it rest properly on the bunks and the bow roller.
the boat has hardly any weight past the rear of the bunks, so its the bow that needs support. and a properly aligned winch...
with good, proper bow support you dont need very long bunks. 8ft would be plenty......

Nov 17, 2012
I'll post some pics soon when I get enough posts. Makes perfect sense to float and fix it.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
I have a Venture 21 which is identical to your 78 MacGregor, and the original factory issued trailer.

From the picture, I do not think you can get enough downward force on the hull to cause the indentations. Look at the height of the winch and compare to the height of the bow eye. It looks like mine and that is about two inches difference. Most of the force from the winch is against the rubber bow support. I have not measured the forces, but I will bet that between the angle, and the rubber bow support, little downward force is being transferred to the hull at the front of the bunk.

I solved the problem of indentation with a wood plane. With my boat when sitting on the trailer the bunk board will twist to conform with the hull This twist drives the front of bunk board into the hull. Using that wood plane I cut down the inner sides of the bunk broad so when they twist they will not be pushed into the hull.

If you look at the trailer with and with out the boat you will see what I am talking about.

When you tow the boat you want it tight against the bow support. It tends to unitize the trailer and the boat and they twist together and not independently

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Welcome!!!

My first big sailboat was a 72 Venture 222 pop-top. It was a hideous orange/red color that was all the rage then. I believe your "gold" is actually what was called bamboo gold back in the day.

Nov 17, 2012
Fly next year I'm going to Polish her up and sail the snot out of her but after that the bamboo gold is no more. I was wondering why my boat has 2 sets of spreaders....owner mod?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
quoted from Knuttle...."From the picture, I do not think you can get enough downward force on the hull to cause the indentations. Look at the height of the winch and compare to the height of the bow eye. It looks like mine and that is about two inches difference. Most of the force from the winch is against the rubber bow support. I have not measured the forces, but I will bet that between the angle, and the rubber bow support, little downward force is being transferred to the hull at the front of the bunk."

on the line of level, as determined by the bunks which the boat is riding on, I can tell there is at least 5 inches of downward pull from your winch. measured from the inside of the bow eye, to where the strap rests on the winch. if you were to slacken the winch there would probably be more.... to properly measure, you need to crank the tongue jack so the front of the bunk is level with the rear of the bunk, and then measure from the bow eye to the ground,... and then from the where the winch strap leads onto the drum, to the ground... and see what the difference is....
it may seem like not enough difference to cause your problem, but its the ANGLE of the pull that is the problem.
its obvious the PO has already determined this was a problem as he has added a cross member and put a wood block in place, although probably not high enough.
and just because the boat is tight against the bow chock doesnt mean there is no downward pull on the bunks.... whenever you have to crank the boat up to the chock that last 4-6 inches after pulling it out of the water, and the boat doesnt slide on the trailer but an inch, yet the gap closes, that is due to the trailer flexing (springing) to come up and meet the boat, rather than the boat being pulled into the proper position.
AND when that happens the winch does in fact rise closer to the height of the bow eye, but all that means is its trying to pull the boat downward on the bunks to meet the "at rest" level of the winch..... it will forever have an overloaded downward pressure on the bunks, AND thats where the cross member and block of wood come in to prevent the bunk damage on the boat.... if its high enough

and that mast is not original....it may work perfectly and hopefully so. all im saying is that the profile is wrong and the 21's didnt have twin spreaders, and the profile of the spreaders are wrong also, from what macgregor used... you should stand the mast and put it all together in your driveway and hoist the sails to see if everything fits and tensions up properly.... best of luck

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2012
Looks like I have a frankenrig next time we get some nice weather I'll step the mast and make sure everything fits. The spreaders look beefier than standard Mac but the mast looks to be the right length.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.