Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the 21 is a nice sailing and quick to set up boat..... its lots of fun for daysailing and weekend trips for 2, if you are conservative and like the "cozy" atmosphere it offers... and it can take some pretty good wind and water.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
I tried to blow up the front end of the bunk board, to show what I wanted you to see but that picture was quite blurry at that zoom.

While blurry you can see the dent in the boat and can see that it is being caused by the inner corner of the bunk. (The outer corner is over an inch from the hull.) This is caused by the nature of the board to nominally flex to the major curve in the hull in the center of the boat. This flex will be in one direction. But there is nothing to cause the board to twist to match the complex curve of the hull at the point where it comes in contact with the bunk.

To met the complex curve of the boat, the bunk board would have to flex, lowering the middle between the supports by several inches and then the end would have to rotate inward to conform to the second curve. Unless you steam the bend the wood round a mold made to match the complex curve of the hull, the bunk will never have both the flex and the twist.

I was just in the garage and compared your picture to my boat/trailer. The angle of that bunk board is identical to my boat. The difference from yours, that corner has not been planed down two simulate the required twist in the board, and make the bunk better fits the hull.

If you would like pictures contact me off line.

The Venture 21 McGregor 21 is a great boat. I picked it up at the Costa Mesa factory in December 1970. At that time my oldest daughter was 4 months old. We pulled it back to Michigan, and the following summer we all went sailing for the first time. When the second daughter came along she was on the boat before she was 1. We have day sailed, we spent nights on the boat, and took the boat camping. While we have not taken the boat out recently as much as we would like, hopefully we will get her out next summer.

In 1970 when we picked the boat up in California we were living in Michigan. Then moved to Ohio, North Carolina, Indiana, and are now back in North Carolina. The boat pulls very easily, and I have generally kept it in my garage.

Nov 17, 2012
Macgregor v21 carter lake
I'll be replacing the bunks in a few weeks. It sounds like I need to plane a triangle with the point opposite the end of the bunk.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Hey Bassstar. There is supposed to be a bottom plate on the mast. Yours may still be on the cabin top. If not.... Get another Mac (Or trailer able sailboat) owner to help you step the mast. It is supposed to pivot ware it attaches.
If the mast sits on the fiberglass top like that it will wear through.
You know about your avatar, right?

Mar 20, 2012
Hey Bassstar. There is supposed to be a bottom plate on the mast. Yours may still be on the cabin top. If not.... Get another Mac (Or trailer able sailboat) owner to help you step the mast. It is supposed to pivot ware it attaches.
If the mast sits on the fiberglass top like that it will wear through.
You know about your avatar, right?
the 21's had an open bottom on the original mast. it sits on the stainless tabernacle and hinges on the bolt that goes thru the verticle slot on the tabernacle.
the photo shows my pvc center mast support in place of the mast when stowed... but it is how the mast sits in it when its up....

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
the 21's had an open bottom on the original mast. it sits on the stainless tabernacle and hinges on the bolt that goes thru the verticle slot on the tabernacle.
the photo shows my pvc center mast support in place of the mast when stowed... but it is how the mast sits in it when its up....
With the support in the tabernacle, what do you use on the ends?

I use the original Y shaped piece on the foredeck and the support on the stern that is held in place by the rudder fittings. I have always been concerned with the flexing of the mast when towing. I have stopped it with a rope to the cleats and a couple of turns around the mast. But am still concerned that the flexing (almost a vibration) would weaken the mast and eventually cause the mast to fail.

Nov 17, 2012
I'm going to build a tabernacle support and the wedge for the foredeck to sit between the bow rails. With the extra set of spreaders on my franken mast I need the extra support. I will add a backing plate to the tabernacle when I rebed the deck hardware. I'll try to flip my avatar today lol.

Mar 20, 2012
With the support in the tabernacle, what do you use on the ends?

I use the original Y shaped piece on the foredeck and the support on the stern that is held in place by the rudder fittings. I have always been concerned with the flexing of the mast when towing. I have stopped it with a rope to the cleats and a couple of turns around the mast. But am still concerned that the flexing (almost a vibration) would weaken the mast and eventually cause the mast to fail.
for the front, I used a saddle i built that fits into the anchor holder for a danforth style anchor.
for the rear, it had an x-brace that slipped into brackets on the stern...

see photos.

Attachments

Nov 17, 2012
Centerline I thought that bracket was the base for an old spotlight lol I'll get to work on a mast support!

Nov 17, 2012
I thought I would have to use a deck mounted anchor. That will be much better.

Mar 20, 2012
I thought I would have to use a deck mounted anchor. That will be much better.
a bow roller system is much better, but until you decide what and how you want it, its nice to keep your anchor in such a way that is convenient and ready for use..... and the holder serves double duty:)

Nov 17, 2012
I pulled the sails out of the bags today and about fell over. Sails appear to be barely used (remade in china) mainsail is lugged and sails have tell tales and a reef point . A friend lives on a private lake and we are going to stand the rig on Thursday!

Nov 17, 2012
Slugs sorry I need to get a sailing for dummies. Lots of terminology. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.