Newbie went to contract for 2006 Catalina 22 Capri (hull # 1139)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Reminds me of once upon a time when I went on a grouper fishing trip - just one day - with a buddy of mine. When I got home, my wife (now my EX wife) had bought a whole new living room suite. It was already delivered and installed.

It was the most expensive fishing trip I ever went on ... especially since I didn't catch a damn thing.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Brought her home today and put her on my driveway for a few weeks until launch.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Replaced the bow eye wood block with the CD version (6h of chiseling it out, not fun) and replaced the cockpit stanchions as they were bent inwards (after I took this picture) plus added the new name to the boat:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
I used http://doityourselflettering.com. It's vinyl lettering. Was easy to order. I went with the higher quality stuff (a tad thicker). Went on relatively easy. Peeling away the top backing was a tad of a challenge. Take it slow and peel at a very flat angle. Sometimes I had to use a scraper to keep the vinyl on while peeling. No idea if it holds up. First time user....

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Where did you get this spare/3rd wheel set-up? Did you buy it or did you have to make it?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Where did you get this spare/3rd wheel set-up? Did you buy it or did you have to make it?
Nope ordered it from here: http://www.pacifictrailers.com/pivoting-hub-spare-carrier/

Plan on launching the boat myself eventually. Also got this as I most likely have to get the trailer further in the water, the boat being a fin keel which means a trailer tongue extension most likely will not work: http://www.autoanything.com/winches/warn-zeon-10-multi-mount-portable-winch (80 feet of cable should do....:).

Last edited:

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Btw thanks to everyone for their insight. I was able to do a lot of reading/research in this website which ultimately helped in making various decisions how to spend my boat bucks....!

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Thanks for the info on the pivoting hub spare carrier... As far as the winch goes, if you going to get one I'd suggest getting a synthetic line or strap instead of a cable, that cable will rust unless you keep it greased and greased winch cables get messy.
I doubt you really even need a winch, just get a 20 ft tow strap from the hardware store.

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
I have a 30 ft. tow strap for my fixed keel. Last week, I put the boat in the water without assistance from anyone else. It's a process, but no more so than a tongue extension. With that wheel set-up, launching with a tow strap should be easy.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Slarti, love your boat man! What a great setup, no matter how hard you try, you can't hide money. I'm drooling here!

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Thx. Nothing special.... Got lucky that the trailer for example was never really used for anything other than storage so despite being 10 years old it is in excellent shape.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Au contraire! She is barely used and I suspect you got the deal of the century! Great little negotiator you have there! :) I know you're going to enjoy the summer!!!

Apr 13, 2016
Catalina 22 Fort Worth
Great looking boat. Love the ability of the trailer spare tire mount to be flipped and used as a full sized wheel on the tongue.
I'm still trying to get out on my first launch so its nice to read about the adventures of another newbie!

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations on your new to you boat and thanks for posting the pictures, she's a beauty!! I'm already sending the trailer spare tire link to a friend of mine with a Paceship PY23 who could use that.