Newbie needs help

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Boat I saw today with the stuck keel was actually a ds22 not an O'Day. Pretty good shape.
You better do your research on this one. A stuck centerboard does not indicate "pretty good shape." It can mean 1) cracked and delaminated fiberglass foam core centerboard, 2) cast iron swing keel rusted all to hell and stuck (which I don't think is the case on a DS-22, but I'm not familiar with the boat. There's a guy on www.trailersailors.com forum who has one, I think. Based on a quick interwebs perusal, I think the DS-22 has a centerboard, not a ballasted swing keel) and finally 3) Ballast in stub keel is encapsulated steel punchings that have been infiltrated with water and rusted and swelled. This is seen on the Montgomery 23...

Of the three options above, 1) is probably easiest to fix, 2) not so bad other than hundreds of pounds of swing keel to extract and move around for cleaning and sealing, and 3) is major surgery.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Congratulations! Enjoy your new boat! Make her proud, and she will make you proud and take good care of you. Learning the systems, maintaining, and upgrading are at least half the fun. You will find all the info you need here!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Daysailers are solid boats. I'm surrounded by 5 or 6 on my dock alone!

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
So new question. Does the ball mount shaft diameter have to be the same as the ball mount? The 1 7/8 diameter is thinner on the ball than the ball mounts at Home Depot. Need to get her home Wednesday morning.

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
It should yes or else it'll slop around and maybe come loose, I've done it before and all was good but not recommended, if you can find a napa or something like that they should have the bigger shaft 1 7/8 ball

Feb 13, 2016
It should yes or else it'll slop around and maybe come loose, I've done it before and all was good but not recommended, if you can find a napa or something like that they should have the bigger shaft 1 7/8 ball

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
:Dthanks went AutoZone and got the correct one. Already moving 4 miles without a plate or lights, not asking for more trouble.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Interesting... I doubt Sailnewbie intends to double post, but I keep getting double posts from him. Anyone know what causes this?

Feb 13, 2016
Sorry, I send it then it doesn't go, I pick my phone up hoping it went 10 min later and it's still sitting in my post box so I hit post again and two are going at same time

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
so I got it home safely, other than a rusted fender falling off, and I thought first I'd varnish the tiller and rudder. Some of the rudder holes in the metal plate are elongated which must have an effect. Should I try to get those welded up?

Attachments

Feb 13, 2016
As a sailor I couldn't really say, but as a mechanic when you tighten down the bolts it shouldn't move, I wouldn't worry about it. Biggest thing is figuring out a good way of pulling the rudder down and in place once on the water, I use pulleys and still need to use my foot to help it along.

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
Yes the plates hold the rudder and tiller. That specific hole holds the rudder. The holes that the two pins that attach to the transom also have some play.
All I wanted to was varnish the tiller and rudder, but might as well address it while it's apart.