Newbie needs help

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
Hello,
Looking at two O'Day boats. One is a 20' with a good trailer but a lock of cracking around the bulkhead and some minor cracking around where the mast attaches. Doesn't have a motor.

The other is a 22' with a rougher trailer and no motor but I saw no apparent cracking on deck.

I actually like the size of the 20 better for day sailing and doing a lot of trailering around.

If the cracking around the bulkhead something that a fairly handy guy can fix?

20' boat is about $300 less.

Thanks

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If the owner let the cracking get that bad, what other maintenance issues did he not address? Besides that, what other issues are there with both boats? Neither one has a motor so that's out of the equation. Trailers, although expensive, can generally be repaired or replaced a lot cheaper than boat repairs. I think we need more information on both boats to help in your decision. From what you've told us, however, I would be more inclined to go with the 22'.

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
The 20 is full of water inside, but wood on cabinets seems alright. Sails are old and have been patched. 23 seems alright overall, older sails too. Trailer on 22 missing rear support rollers. Owner launched a quarter mile away from storage. Both trailers need new lights.
We are talking $1200 here, so maybe expectations are too high?

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
yep, agree with Jackdaw... why not get something you are excited about. Take your time and look for something in good shape with as much as you can afford.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm late to the party, but I agree with the above. Walk away from both. Sailing should be a passion, not another job. Find a boat you are passionate about.

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
My last boat was an O'day 30 that had been leaking around the mast (it was keel stepped). Problem was that O'day used balsa coring in the coach roof area and side decks. Its easy to tell if the coring is wet, step on the area around the cracks. If it feels mushy and/or water squirts out run-don't walk away. The cracks are relatively easy to repair for anyone who is handy but a wet core is a total pain in the rear-don't ask how I know!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If you have any intention of racing - find out what others in your area are sailing -- match racing is a lot more fun and I think the learning curve is much quicker.

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
Before I see that boat I'm going to see an 83 22' Oday. Second keel is frozen up? Any one deal with that before? Problem? Guy said he never used it but it needs scraping to fix.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
That would be a centerboard. "Frozen up" could mean a lot of things. What you want to check for is whether the centerboard is in good shape. It could be split and waterlogged or warped. I am sure others who have them can give you more ideas.

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
My opinion unless your passion is building your own boat, buy one in good shape ready to go, I bought cheap but good deal, after all said and done getting things the way i wanted I could have easily bought a nicer boat($3k) later

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
My opinion unless your passion is building your own boat, buy one in good shape ready to go, I bought cheap but good deal, after all said and done getting things the way i wanted I could have easily bought a nicer boat($3k) later
Sooooo true! However, I love my $4000 Oday 272 which is now worth about $15,000 and MIGHT sell for $10,000! Haha! On the other hand, I have gained a ton of experience and knowledge.
I love my boat. It shows. She is proud among the fleet, and she takes good care of me. (As long as I do good thinking!)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sooooo true! However, I love my $4000 Oday 272 which is now worth about $15,000 and MIGHT sell for $10,000! Haha! On the other hand, I have gained a ton of experience and knowledge.
I love my boat. It shows. She is proud among the fleet, and she takes good care of me. (As long as I do good thinking!)
So you think you might break even some day? ;)