New Victron Smart Shunt vs. New Balmar SG2000

May 25, 2014
Freedom 38 Mattapoisett
Anyone with knowledge of the new Victron Smartshunt and how it might compare to the SG2000? I know Ben Stein at Panbo is in the midst of testing but haven't found any other information. Wondering about SOC accuracy with Firefly batteries.

Brien

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Anyone with knowledge of the new Victron Smartshunt and how it might compare to the SG2000? I know Ben Stein at Panbo is in the midst of testing but haven't found any other information. Wondering about SOC accuracy with Firefly batteries.

Brien
The basic software inside the new Victron SmartShunt, in terms of SoC accuracy, is really unchanged from previous models. The SG200 is self-learning and the Victron requires user input to keep it accurate. We are dealers for both, and like both, but for customers not inclined to do yearly capacity testing on their banks the simplicity of the SG200 makes it easier.

Making Your Battery Monitor More Accurate

Testing the Balmar SG200

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I have the victron for many years and most of the years for my previous set of Flooded Acid batteries which I got 8 full years out of. As a rule of thumb (not sure if Mainsail or Victron told me this) you just need to reduce the setting of the capacity of the bank by a certain % each year if you don't do the capacity test . I think it was 10% bit not sure since that info is on boat.

May 25, 2014
Freedom 38 Mattapoisett
Thanks. I purchased an SG2000 as an early adopter but have only recently gotten around to getting my upgraded bluetooth version (still waiting!). I'm installing a new Victron charger/inverter and also have a Victron solar charger. I just recently saw the Smartshunt and considered switching over to be on a single platform, hence the inquiry. As Maine Sail has stated the software on the new Victron is the same as the old version, I'll probably stick with the SG2000 for now- if it arrives!

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Thanks. I purchased an SG2000 as an early adopter but have only recently gotten around to getting my upgraded bluetooth version (still waiting!). I'm installing a new Victron charger/inverter and also have a Victron solar charger. I just recently saw the Smartshunt and considered switching over to be on a single platform, hence the inquiry. As Maine Sail has stated the software on the new Victron is the same as the old version, I'll probably stick with the SG2000 for now- if it arrives!
Sounds good. Also, the victron has a bluetooth app that works ok as well. Helps in setting it up instead of scrolling through menus on the small display.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Don't know why it would not have arrived? Who did you order from?

We have at least 20 in-stock right now and they are ready to ship. We also have plenty of the Bluetooth Gateway's in stock? A legit Balmar dealer should not be out of these...

May 25, 2014
Freedom 38 Mattapoisett
Since you asked.....I originally purchased at the Newport Boat Show from a reputable Balmar dealer (Cay Electronics) when the gauge was first released. As an early adopter in October 2018, the Balmer rep (Chris W.) promised an upgraded gauge with bluetooth when they were released. I was tardy when I received my RMA from Balmar, but sent it to Balmar directly June 2020 as instructed using their shipping label after confirming with the RMA manager that the RMA was still good. They were to send a replacement as soon as they received UPS confirmation of shipment.

I have since called and emailed Balmar several times. Yesterday's calls resulted in referral to voicemail, but the mailbox is full. Apparently they have been hacked. The following is from their website posted July 24 by Chris Witzgall. Unfortunately, I still can't reach them. My own fault, I should have been more timely on my end. Of course it's these past two weeks that I've had the time to complete my project! Perfect timing!

In the meantime, Ben Stein posted his review of the SmartShunt on Panbo for anyone interested.

Brien

The Balmar website was attacked by a very sophisticated hacking group. We are working to restore the website as quickly as possible, but in the meantime we want our loyal customers to know that we are accepting and shipping orders, and building product. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

if you are a consumer, the best way to get product availability, pricing and pre-sales support is from one of our many resellers and distributors.
You can contact us via:
Phone: 360-435-6100
Technical Support email: tecehsupport@balmar.net (Response time may be slow for the immediate future.)

Sales and Order support: balmarsales@cdielectronics.com