New trailer winch design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Good, new winch design http://greenfieldproducts.com/accessories/skywinch
Again, not connected to this company in any way.
Cute...... a little baby windlass... my guess is the buffoons trying to operate the normal winch would have trouble adapting to the new product's technology just as well.

Of course.... rather than falling off the dock or trailer.... they should just drive the boat up on the trailer like every other power boater would do.... and use the winch to just secure the vessel rather than try to pull it up manually.... that's where stupid really raises its empty head.

I am leery of driving a power boat all day with a long piece of line attached to the bow near the waterline that may slip off the deck and foul the prop.

Didn't notice the price but the product might be handy for other stuff around a sailboat. Thanks for the heads up.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Thanks for posting that. I have an idea probably a bad one :redface:. I'm wondering if I could use that to lift the anchor on the Endeavour. I'm not suggesting pulling the boat to the anchor or getting the anchor free of the bottom, but just lifting the last 20 feet of chain and the anchor itself.

I've been considering doing this with different means like using the winches back in the cockpit, but if this had the capacity to lift a 35 lb. anchor and say 15 feet of 5/16th chain (usually we are in less than 8 feet of water in Florida) it sure would save my back some unless cranking that handle was actually more work.

I don't have much problem getting the boat to the anchor with Ruth's help on the tiller and motor and can work the anchor free. It is just getting it up and I'm thinking about adding a 45 lb. anchor to use when needed.

I could attach 1/2 inch line to the anchor and parallel it to the chain and snap it to the chain back about 20 feet or more. Then when I bring the chain in and get to the line I'd unsnap it and feed it onto the sky winch and start cranking.

I think I'll call them this next week.

I know, I know just put a winch on the boat. That is a big investment considering we might not have the boat that long and one more job to do and we want to get out with it,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Thanks for posting that. I have an idea probably a bad one :redface:. I'm wondering if I could use that to lift the anchor on the Endeavour. I'm not suggesting pulling the boat to the anchor or getting the anchor free of the bottom, but just lifting the last 20 feet of chain and the anchor itself.

I've been considering doing this with different means like using the winches back in the cockpit, but if this had the capacity to lift a 35 lb. anchor and say 15 feet of 5/16th chain (usually we are in less than 8 feet of water in Florida) it sure would save my back some unless cranking that handle was actually more work.

I don't have much problem getting the boat to the anchor with Ruth's help on the tiller and motor and can work the anchor free. It is just getting it up and I'm thinking about adding a 45 lb. anchor to use when needed.

Sum
if it will pull an 1800lb boat onto the trailer, it will definitely haul the anchor.
its easy to haul in the run of scope by hand, but when it comes to breaking out the anchor and hoisting it with it full of mud, that little winch would be a real back saver.
I think it would serve as an anchor cranker better than it would as a trailer winch....
the cost of it is probably outrageous, but I think it could serve double duty on the foredeck as an anchor hoist and a winch for the mast raising system.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
if it will pull an 1800lb boat onto the trailer, it will definitely haul the anchor.
its easy to haul in the run of scope by hand, but when it comes to breaking out the anchor and hoisting it with it full of mud, that little winch would be a real back saver.
I think it would serve as an anchor cranker better than it would as a trailer winch....
the cost of it is probably outrageous, but I think it could serve double duty on the foredeck as an anchor hoist and a winch for the mast raising system.
It is only $60.00 so not a lot to loose, but would have to mount it someway.

The boat might weigh 1800 lbs. but of course you aren't really pulling that much, but I think you are right about the anchor. You are also right about the mud which can be quite heavy. I'll sometimes just bring the anchor to near the surface and cleat it off then have Ruth start motoring until the mud comes off. It also gets heavier once it is out of the water, but would think even the 45 lb. anchor would be less than 55 with just the anchor and say 8 feet of 5/16 chain.

Depending on how it was mounted I might be able to extend the handle and make it a little longer. I could try it here at home before going back to the boat. The nice thing is how easy the line goes on and off without having to thread it and if I'm seeing it right it would also lock the line at any point until it was released or taken in more.

I'll call and see what they say,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
It is only $60.00 so not a lot to loose, but would have to mount it someway.

The boat might weigh 1800 lbs. but of course you aren't really pulling that much, but I think you are right about the anchor. You are also right about the mud which can be quite heavy. I'll sometimes just bring the anchor to near the surface and cleat it off then have Ruth start motoring until the mud comes off. It also gets heavier once it is out of the water, but would think even the 45 lb. anchor would be less than 55 with just the anchor and say 8 feet of 5/16 chain.

Depending on how it was mounted I might be able to extend the handle and make it a little longer. I could try it here at home before going back to the boat. The nice thing is how easy the line goes on and off without having to thread it and if I'm seeing it right it would also lock the line at any point until it was released or taken in more.

I'll call and see what they say,

Sum
Sum, I like your idea and agree that it would probably work better as an anchor retriever. However, mounting it might become an issue since the handle actually goes below the mechanism. That causes a problem with mounting it on the deck and requires some sort of support to get it above and clear the handle. When you do that you begin to introduce forces on the deck that are beyond just the weight of the anchor and mud. Good luck with it and I would be interested in seeing what methods you suggest for mounting it.

Nodak7

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sum, I like your idea and agree that it would probably work better as an anchor retriever. However, mounting it might become an issue since the handle actually goes below the mechanism. That causes a problem with mounting it on the deck and requires some sort of support to get it above and clear the handle. When you do that you begin to introduce forces on the deck that are beyond just the weight of the anchor and mud. Good luck with it and I would be interested in seeing what methods you suggest for mounting it.

Nodak7
I've been wondering if it will work on its side? I'm thinking of a couple brackets possibly on the ...

....back two uprights of the pulpit down low, opposite to where the Honda generator is shown above. The winch would then be on a cross-member that ran side to side that would slide into the mounts on the pulpit uprights. The winch/cross-member would be removed and stored below when not in use.

I'm wondering if there is enough mechanical advantage with the winch to still make it easier than pulling the anchor/chain up by hand as I have done. I'm 69, in good shape, but still have had 3 hernia operations so am looking for something to be a go between lifting it by hand and spending a $1000+ to install a winch and the time that would take. If the boat was at home things would be easier ;).

I'm also going to look into ...

...a single speed winch. Would like a self-tailing 2 speed, but they are way to expensive. The nice thing about the skywinch is that it is self-tailing and would leave my one hand free to deal with the chain into the locker and appears to have a lock that would hold the line as soon as you quit cranking that would be advantageous.

Thanks for the input and I'll know more after I can talk to them,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I've been wondering if it will work on its side? I'm thinking of a couple brackets possibly on the ...

....back two uprights of the pulpit down low, opposite to where the Honda generator is shown above. The winch would then be on a cross-member that ran side to side that would slide into the mounts on the pulpit uprights. The winch/cross-member would be removed and stored below when not in use.

I'm wondering if there is enough mechanical advantage with the winch to still make it easier than pulling the anchor/chain up by hand as I have done. I'm 69, in good shape, but still have had 3 hernia operations so am looking for something to be a go between lifting it by hand and spending a $1000+ to install a winch and the time that would take. If the boat was at home things would be easier ;).

I'm also going to look into ...

Thanks for the input and I'll know more after I can talk to them,

Sum
Sum,

I feel your pain! I am 66 and the thought of pulling up even a small anchor does not appeal to me (ours is 44#). Anyway my suggestion to you is to run your anchor rode back to your deck winch. Use the deck winch to raise it then when it is up you can handle it from the deck or swing it back onto the deck. You may need to set up a snatch block on the rode to make it align properly to the winch but that should not be an issue. Snatch blocks are much cheaper than a windlass or new winch.

Nodak

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Sum,

I feel your pain! I am 66 and the thought of pulling up even a small anchor does not appeal to me (ours is 44#). Anyway my suggestion to you is to run your anchor rode back to your deck winch. Use the deck winch to raise it then when it is up you can handle it from the deck or swing it back onto the deck. You may need to set up a snatch block on the rode to make it align properly to the winch but that should not be an issue. Snatch blocks are much cheaper than a windlass or new winch.

Nodak
I've considered doing the same, however, I am concerned about dragging the chain across the deck.

I like Sum's idea but you will have to find a way to lock the chain while you change from the rode to the 1/2" anchor/chain rope. Even then it is going to reduce the weight by the weight of the anchor and 1/2 of the chain weight. It is still way better than hauling the whole enchilada up.
I am still looking for a mechanical windlass at a bargain basement price.
I just wonder if one were to take a double or triple wrap with the chain on a single speed winch would work or would it slip? Would adding a rubber sleeve to the barrel of the winch help? (Just thinking out loud.)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sum,

Nodak
Yep, I thought about that solution and was going to give it a try if nothing else is feasible. The good part about that plan is that Ruth gets to do all the work ;) the bad part is I like to keep her pretty much free to be at the helm as sometimes immediate help there is really good.

We only anchored twice with the Endeavour and I was surprised that lifting the 35 lb Manson on it wasn't all that much harder than the 25 lb. Manson on the Mac, but I"m sure the 45 lb. Manson will be much more noticeable.

We anchor all of the time and did buy a set of those headphones to try from Cruising Solutions. We use hand signals well on the Mac, but the Endeavour is longer and it is harder for Ruth to see me,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
..but you will have to find a way to lock the chain while you change from the rode to the 1/2" anchor/chain rope. Even then it is going to reduce the weight by the weight of the anchor and 1/2 of the chain weight. It is still way better than hauling the whole enchilada up...
I think where you live Frank that sooner or later you will find a deal on a used windlass and that would be the best solution for sure.

Some of this depends if you are single-handing or have two people. With us getting to the anchor isn't that hard and remember the water is not deep so getting to the water you are never lifting that much chain when you do finally get to it.

With me using hand signals to guide Ruth she takes us to the anchor and I just need to retrieve the rode. I would not use the winch until it came time to lift the anchor and then I only if I felt it was free of the bottom.

I would have about 20 feet of 1/2 inch line permanently attached to the chain from the anchor shank back along the chain and the held to the chain end with a carabiner. With Ruth taking me to the anchor I'd retreive the rode, line first and then chain. When I got to the 20 foot section of 1/2 inch like I would unclip the carabiner and separate the line from the chain and just put the line on the winch.

Now for the part where that winch might work well. I could crank the line in with one hand and deal with the chain with the other.

You could also use a version of this with two people using the cockpit winch. Have a line from it forward to where you are with a loop on the end. When you get to the line that is attached to the anchor, paralleling the chain, unclip it and attach it to the line going to the cockpit winch. Now the person there winches and you deal with the chain and you aren't dragging it along the deck.

That would also work for us except as I mentioned having Ruth at the helm can help in wind and currents while I'm dealing with the anchor. Sometimes I'll tell her to put it in gear for just a couple seconds to take the wind or current tension off the road and such.

Keep looking for the windlass I'll bet you find it :neutral:, I saw one on e-bay today for a couple bucks, present, that was broke. I figure well maybe I could fix it. Then noticed it was in the UK :cry:,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Yep, I thought about that solution and was going to give it a try if nothing else is feasible. The good part about that plan is that Ruth gets to do all the work ;) the bad part is I like to keep her pretty much free to be at the helm as sometimes immediate help there is really good.

We only anchored twice with the Endeavour and I was surprised that lifting the 35 lb Manson on it wasn't all that much harder than the 25 lb. Manson on the Mac, but I"m sure the 45 lb. Manson will be much more noticeable.

We anchor all of the time and did buy a set of those headphones to try from Cruising Solutions. We use hand signals well on the Mac, but the Endeavour is longer and it is harder for Ruth to see me,

Sum
Yeah we have the headphones as well and I really like them. Saves a lot of yelling... LOL

Usually she is at the bow watching the rode and operating the windlass and I stay at the helm. But if there is some problem then I go to the bow and she stays at the helm. Our rode is marked so I know how much is still out. You could do the same from the cockpit winch. Once she breaks free then go forward.

Nodak

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Suppose you added a pulley at the bow eye. I wonder if a standard winch with a 10" handle would do the same??? I MIGHT try it!

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Ordinarily, I have the wife pull up the anchor and rode. It's tough and muddy work, that builds character and morale. Now and then I'll let her use gloves if my hearts in the right place, but usually not. It's a very good way to remain tough.

However, if I had this to do, I think I would just be inclined to use the winch on the mast. You could drag up a pretty good section of chain across the roller, before cleating and getting another bite.

But I doubt I will. It's really heartwarming to see her up there sweating and cursing. They need to earn their keep ya know..

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sumner......... it ain't worth it.... get a windlass

How much is your back worth, less than your new anchor? You've got all the power in the world... what if you hurt yourself, how is ruth gonna get that monster hook up out of the water? Merlinuxo has a good link.... just the wrong size for your boat... This is a better size and only $200 more to handle the 5/16 chain and the new anchor....

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
How much is your back worth, less than your new anchor? You've got all the power in the world... what if you hurt yourself, how is ruth gonna get that monster hook up out of the water? Merlinuxo has a good link.... just the wrong size for your boat... This is a better size and only $200 more to handle the 5/16 chain and the new anchor....
Thanks for the links but those winches you guys are posting won't work on the Endeavour and the way the anchor lockers are laid out. I know of some that will, but for this year they just aren't in the budget and before we do spend the money on them we really need to get the boat out and see if we are keeping her.

I was able to deal with the 35 lb. Manson without much more problems than the 25 lb. one on the Mac. The 45 lb., chain and mud might get much, but we could still use the cockpit winches if needed. The 45 would be there only for the times we might really need her and we don't even have that anchor yet. We are thinking of sell the 35 lb. CQR and using that money towards a 45 lb. Manson. The Endeavour is 20,000 lbs. plus and the 35 might be marginal in a storm situation. Right now I'd put it and the CQR down if an extreme situation.

Believe me if I was hurt and we couldn't get the anchor up we will cut it loose. Ruth had to more or less get the anchor up with the cockpit winches and the shore lines in on Lake Powell when I fractured my shoulder. WE could of cut those lines also if we would of failed.

I called the Skywinch people Monday, but no one was there that could help me. I then wrote them an e-mail explaining what I had in mind and that the weight to be lifted could be between 60-90 lbs. (depending on anchor, lenght of chain to the bottom and mud) and got this back this morning....

I apologize for the delay in forwarding this information. We talked to the inventor of the SkyWinch and he indicated all the testing was to establish break strength, so we do not have specific data about straight line pull. However, Mr. Skyba believes there would be no issues with the 60 pounds and it would be easy to pull. He sees no reason for concern.
I think I'll try one out. Also I'm in the middle of converting a HF 12 volt winch to a possible winch for this application. It also would be stored below when not in use. I'll have more on both---the good, the bad and the ugly---when I get further along.

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Dec 20, 2011
Cal 28 Eagle River
Why not use the stainless ring and a large fender to float your anchor, No manual labor, just a little driving skill!.....Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.