New to me Yamaha 33 Owner. Like to meet other owners - Olympia, WA and Portland, OR

WindS

Sep 28, 2021
Yamaha 33 Olympia
I just bought a new to me 1984 Yamaha 33, named Silverleaf. I currently have the boat in Olympia WA. I'm from Portland and plan to sail it down in 2022. I need to get to know the boat first.

There are a few quirks with this boat. She's pretty basic in some ways and complex in others. I'd like to meet a few other owners to see how they've made improvements. Please introduce yourselves. I'd like to find the owner prior to 2020.

My list:
I need a dodger - have to move the main sheet.
Main sheet traveller is dangerous. I think the prior owner may have "fixed it".
On the Yanmar 2GM, how do get the side Zincs out!!!
And so on........

Overall the boat is in good shape. I'm looking forward meeting fellow owners.

Attachments

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Welcome! I have a Y33 in Port Ludlow. Post some pictures showing your dangerous traveler, you've got my curiosity up.

A dodger is a bit of a problem on these boats. Not a lot of room. A member in the Portland area had a dodger and mid boom sheeting but I've not seen detailed pictures. I think he pulled it and relocated the traveler aft last spring.

I replaced the mast wiring, standing rigging and chainplates in 2019. There was noticeable crevice corrosion on the chainplates where they pass through the deck. If yours are original an inspection would be worthwhile. I redid the electrical last year. There are a couple of posts in the Yamaha forum.

These are great boats, soundly built and they sail well. Except downwind. Flying the kite with the babystay in the way is still a work in progress.

A previous owner swapped the 2GM for a 3GM a while back. It's a nice upgrade. The 3GM does not have zincs that I'm aware of.

As always, post more pictures!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO forum. Congrats on your new to you boat. There are a few owners of Yamaha boats here on the forum. You have already been greeted by a great one @mermike.

I’m not a Yamaha owner. Just a boat owner who bought a mature boat with a limited following and have been refitting her to again sail the waters of the PacificNW.

I also live in Oregon. I sailed the Columbia for 15 years in a small boat. Now I prefer the cruising waters of Washington and Canada. It is a drive to get up here but there are so many more points on the compass that you can sail.

As suggested by Mermike a careful inspection of your rigging is in order. As with your wind surfing the mast and on the boat the wires and connectors that hold the mast in place are critical if you plan on sailing. Your cruise down the coast to the Columbia is serious water. It will devour an ill prepared boat and crew.

Glad you have joined our group of adventurers.

WindS

Sep 28, 2021
Yamaha 33 Olympia
Thanks Mike, John:

I appreciate the welcome. I think, for me, sailing around Olympia is a good start. I think either Ludlow or Everett puts you more into the open sound. Good spots. Port Ludlow looks really pretty.

My boat: I'll get Pics next time I'm up.
  • The traveler lines tie off to a vertical clam-cleat. The rope just falls out. The simple solution is to use a Cam-cleat. I'm curious what others have. Please send a pic.
  • For the Boom, there are two metal loops for the mainsheet blocks. The forward one makes getting a dodger problematic. I haven't taken a good look to see what it takes to move the forward hook back. A new slit will need to be cut into the boom. Again, I'm curious if anyone else has done this.
I had not considered how the baby stay messes up the spinnaker pole. I don't currently have a spinnaker. The prior owner only had the boat 4 months. The owner prior to him could not find the spinnaker. Another reason to find the original silver leaf owner. See if it's shown up at the bottom of a closet or something.

I'll have to check out your posts Mike. Please send the traveler picture.

I hope to meet the Yamaha 33 owners down here in Portland.

Thanks,

Nov 21, 2012
I'll be on the boat all next week. I'll send pictures when I get there.

I've been wanting a dodger as well. The previous owner raised the boom when he had a new main installed. Even so the fit is challenging due to the traveler. I'm not sure a small dodger is worth the money. I'm getting used to doing without.

Nov 21, 2012
I was originally going to move the boat from Port Ludlow to Olympia, because it's closer to home and my partner has family there. But the 60" of annual rainfall, vs. 24" in Port Ludlow, along with great access to the San Juan's sealed the deal. PL is an excellent harbor with protection in all directions.

WindS

Sep 28, 2021
Yamaha 33 Olympia
On the dodger, I was thinking of moving the forward ring on the boom back behind the current-back ring. I have not taken a close look to see how much work this would be.

Yes, they are pricy. The Iverson's dodger is great, but START at 4K.

WindS

Sep 28, 2021
Yamaha 33 Olympia
Thanks Mike:

I don't have those swivel cam-cleats on the end. I just have clam cleats up the sides, with the traveler working in a loop. It's just asking to fall off and go flying.

You also moved to using just the back metal loop alone. On mine, the load is spread between both loops. I am worried that the single loop won't be able to handle it. Is this a common set up? It would be really easy for me to do this.

This helps quite a bit.

Nov 21, 2012
I've wondered that myself. The rigger didn't seem have have any concern about it when we switched to the new mainsheet, but I don't think that I specifically asked. I've thought about making a dyneema softshackle to span the metal loops.

Nov 21, 2012
Also, that kind of traveler setup is available from Harken (which mine is) and others like Garhauer. It works really well.