New to me 1986 Catalina 22

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I use a sail track stop to hold all but the lowest sail slides above the mast gate opening. Never found a need to install the mast gates.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
I use a sail track stop to hold all but the lowest sail slides above the mast gate opening. Never found a need to install the mast gates.
The boat came with the Mast Gater so I thought I would give it a try.

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
The Mast Gater will be very helpful when you reef. And you should try it sometime BEFORE you need to! :) I highly suggest you join the Catalina 22 National Organization. The Tech manual alone is worth the cost of membership........https://www.catalina22.org/

Mike

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Maybe I should clarify...I lake sail so if winds get twisty I just lower the main and fly the jib.
If I needed to reef the main I would install my mast gates.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Found a sail track stop in my box of goodies too. Raised the boom to about 5-6 inches below the gate so I could use the Bimini top and I think the stop or the gater will be useful. I took a friend out and he showed me how to rig up so I hope to have a real single hand sail by the end of the season but at least I am wrapping my head around things at this point. It seems like I can only get zero wind or too much to learn gracefully these last couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Check out Mastgates.com when the time comes. I have their "dual tethered" gates. The owner takes a personal interest in every single customer.