New to me 1986 Catalina 22

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Hello and thanks for all the info I have already found here.
I found this thread very helpful Attaching the boom leads to more questions...
I do have a question. I raised the mast for the first time in my driveway and I am wondering what one line/cable is for. I am thinking it is a topping lift added by a previous owner. See the picture here and it will be the red line and cable that are artificially brightened. It has line to a pulley that is about 4 feet above the deck and then the cable is mounted fast to the same fitting as the aft stay.

Thanks!
toplift.jpg

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations on your new to you boat, I have an '86 model as well with a topping lift but the only block on mine is a small swivel block at the top of the mast.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Thanks, I figure I will call stuff according to how I use it. It is now declared a topping lift. So now trailering after my first trip out I break the keel cable, glad it happened on the trailer!

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
Welcome to the club! :(:(:(:(:(
But seriously, it's a great boat and you can find a lot of help on this forum. I'd also highly suggest you join the Catalina 22 national organization. The technical manual is worth the price of membership.
Mike

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have an '86 model as well with a topping lift but the only block on mine is a small swivel block at the top of the mast.

I thought they were all done that way. Not sure why the PO would have needed 2:1 purchase to lift two pounds(?) of boom end. And it's WIRE above the block. But other than a topping lift, I'm not sure what the heck it could be.

A halyard, maybe? 2:1purchase would make a cheap, lightweight alternative to a halyard winch.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Same thing, only using a trucker's hitch instead of a block:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
One end stays attached to the boom end other to a cleat on the boom end, lets you slack it when sail up and tighten to support boom when sail is down. Common configuration on old bots since Phoenicians.

Sep 28, 2017
Catalina 22 Southeastern Pennsylvania
Your line looks like it is the topping lift kit that Catalina direct sells. One end of the line attaches to the aft end of the boom, is then routed through the block on the end of the cable, back down through a cheek block on the side of the boom, and finally through a jam cleat mounted forward on the underside of the boom (blue line on attached photo)
D111_S02_md.jpg

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Next stupid question... What is this?
I have records hinting that I have a single line reefing system if that is what this is.

IMG_20190831_080523.jpg

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I have records hinting that I have a single line reefing system if that is what this is.

View attachment 169135
That looks like it could be a Cunningham with 2:1 purchase. If so:
1) Mount the shackle to the plate at the base of your mast
2) Hook the S-hook into your Cunningham cringle - a large eyelet near the luff of your mainsail, a few inches above the foot (maybe 6-12" up)
3) Tension the line and cleat it in the V-cleat in your picture. This tensions the luff - similar to adding halyard tension, but with 2:1 purchase (so you can control it by hand without a winch).

Historically, the Cunningham was concocted by racers (named Cunningham) to add luff tension in a class where they couldn't pull the main above a certain point on the mast. I think it can be a useful control, although I freely admit that I don't really know how to make good use of it.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
So maybe some explanation is in order...
I have not sailed since the 80's so I am more than rusty and in some areas completely ignorant.

The PO owned this boat for just two years, his wife had some significant health issues right after he bought the boat making it useless to him. He spent some money on it early on and then just stored it for two years in a car port. He had no interest in showing me around the boat or showing me the features and how to use them, he didn't even advertise some of the nicer accessories that I have found on board like an autohelm, genoa, spinnaker, stereo, etc...
Apparently a PPO or PPPO really like this boat and threw a bit of money at it.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town

View attachment 169135
It looks a bit light in the blocks to be a kicking strap/vang type contrivance. So I would also go with the cunningham... or could it be related to spinnaker pole downhaul?

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Thanks, Knowing what to look for helps! found this on CD

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Cunningham for sure-- and with the S hook employed, likely used for reefing as well as mainsail tension.

Quick shot of the one I built for myself--

Capture.PNG

@Gene Neill sign me up for some of those problems!!!!

Last edited:

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
So my swing keel cable is coming later in the week so I thought I would start preparing. I found the info here encouraging enough to give it a go.
Let me know if you see me doing anything stupid!

I started with cinder blocks to get something just below where the stern sits when the trailer is level.

Then I inserted a 4x4 and a 2x4 to match the shape of the hull

I am thinking of getting a square of 3/8" or 1/2" plywood for each side to distribute the weight between the hull and the boards when the time comes.

I am a little concerned about the weight on the hull that will be transferred to the front roller on the trailer. I am hoping that it is a very strong part of the hull and can bear it. The dog offered no advice.

The pin is just not accessible now so I am hoping that I do not need more than a couple inches to thread the cable in to place.

I will as suggested by Chip Ahoy, strap the axle and shim the bunks.
Hopefully when I am done this will provide an illustrated how-to or how-not-to for the next noob

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
The bow is indeed one of the strongest points on the boat-- likely the roller assembly is the weak link in your three point stance. I have relied on the roller briefly to suspend the boat-- if you plan on leaving it up for an extended period you could use your same construction method to slide a beam under the bow and support from each side.

This is my version of getting the boat completely clear and the trailer out from under-- but right here is where i think you want to be : a few inches clear with room to work? :

IMG_0114.JPG

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
I got the cable replaced on Friday, that cotter pin was a tough son-of-a. My trailer was not built in a manner where I could strap the axle but I got just enough clearance to get at it. Then I replaced my cockpit speakers to something that makes noise. Tomorrow I'm going to Lake Erie to go sails up for the first time and hopefully see a friend of mine (and pick his brain) who keeps his sailboat up there.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
So I went to the big lake and did not get out of Presque Isle Bay which ain't bad in my opinion for me just figuring out how to operate this boat.
I was able to get the jib up and do some moving around for a few hours but I had a problem understanding the main. I was afraid to raise the main single handed because I could not find the screws for my "mast gater" and did not want to see the cars pour out of the mast at first raise. I went today to get some plain old phillips head machine screws for that, are wingnuts a bad idea due to foul/chaff?
I am also wondering where to attach the tack of the main sail? does it just go on the tack pin? This seems to be contrary to everything else on the boat that is attached in a way that will unlikely just fall off. Seems like reefing would cause the tack to fall off... maybe that does not matter?