"New" (to me) 1977 O'day 20

SUMB44

Jun 19, 2018
O'day 20 Port Tobacco
My wife and I have recently acquired a 1977 O'day 20 as an entry-level foray into family sailing.
I learned to sail, and did so recreationally, ages ago when I was on active duty in the Navy. Now, I'm trying to introduce the activity to my wife and son.

I have conducted a lot of research, both online and the old fashioned way (books!), as well as reaching out to friends and colleagues who are avid boaters for advice, opinions, and insights.

As I have recently discovered this resource, I would like to poll this audience for any insights and tips on things to look out for or to check/expect when dealing with O'days of a certain age.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to participating in this community.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Typically, people who are new to sailing are uncomfortable with heeling. Sail your boat as upright as you can. That means that you need to limit yourself to sailing on gentle breezes, at least at first. Other tips for sailing upright: buy a new mainsail and learn how to trim it. Consider adding a traveler or reconfiguring your mainsheet control to a bridle setup.

The problem with sailing on gentle breezes is that it can get boring quickly, especially for youngsters. Expect that your son won't really like sailing and would rather be doing anything else. Get him and some of his friends involved in controlling the boat ASAP if you want a hope of holding his interest.

SUMB44

Jun 19, 2018
O'day 20 Port Tobacco
Typically, people who are new to sailing are uncomfortable with heeling. Sail your boat as upright as you can. That means that you need to limit yourself to sailing on gentle breezes, at least at first. Other tips for sailing upright: buy a new mainsail and learn how to trim it. Consider adding a traveler or reconfiguring your mainsheet control to a bridle setup.

The problem with sailing on gentle breezes is that it can get boring quickly, especially for youngsters. Expect that your son won't really like sailing and would rather be doing anything else. Get him and some of his friends involved in controlling the boat ASAP if you want a hope of holding his interest.
I don't expect much heeling on the relative calm (and shallow) waters of the Potomac River, unless some unexpected weather hits. Still, your advice is noted and appreciated. I'd like to keep my son out of the water, so upright is preferred for now. As for my son 'Feeling the need for speed...' and not taking to sailing, he's only four so he's just excited in general.

My wife is showing increasing interest and enthusiasm the more she learns, I'm hoping she'll be an active crew member and not a passive passenger.

SUMB44

Jun 19, 2018
O'day 20 Port Tobacco
On a 41 year old boat, is it safe to assume that most fittings, hardware, plumbing, and the like should be replaced with new equipment if not already done?

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
On a 41 year old boat, is it safe to assume that most fittings, hardware, plumbing, and the like should be replaced with new equipment if not already done?
I would check them to make sure the fittings and hardware are safe and that the plumbing isn't leaking. If it needs to be replaced replace it, if it looks okay don't! I would sail the boat instead of just replacing stuff "just because". That gets expensive quick and it uses time that could be spent sailing. Also, after sailing the boat for the rest of the season you may want to change some of those things to a different design-it hurts when you want to reconfigure something that you just bought.

SUMB44

Jun 19, 2018
O'day 20 Port Tobacco
Feels like there's just so much that isn't in optimal condition, some that isn't even in serviceable condition. It feels like more project than boat.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Feels like there's just so much that isn't in optimal condition, some that isn't even in serviceable condition. It feels like more project than boat.
Not in optimal condition describes the majority of the equipment I see on sailboats :) If something isn't working and it's necessary I'd replace it. Most of what I see in not optimal condition still works though (like my entire boat).
Oh and every boat is a project! For me that's part of the fun, but I know that's not for everyone. I wouldn't know what to do if I got everything working perfectly-I'd probably have to buy another boat.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
maybe you can post some pics of some of the things that concern you. There are a ton of experts on this site that will give you great advice. This place is my go to resource for any issues I run across.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
When I bought a 1977 O'Day Mariner, I had the exact same question. But then I told myself that the previous owner had been eager to take me sailing before I had agreed to purchase the boat and he had been just as eager to sail the boat solo from his house to the marina while I pulled the trailer around.

Oh yes, I got all the usual advice: replace the standing rigging and replace the scupper drain hoses and thru-hull fittings and paint the bottom. I examined all that and decided to ignore the advice of strangers on the internet. Since then, a few things on the boat have broken, but none of the leading suspects, and nothing major. You 'll figure it out day by day, but only on days that you are actually sailing.

Consider taken the boat out a few times before you bring wife and child. There may be surprises that you will want to sort out.