New to Forum - 1984 37c composting toilet

Jan 1, 2022
Hunter 37c Vallejo, CA
Good Day Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1984 Hunter 37c docked in Vallejo, CA. The boat is in good to excellent overall condition structurally and mechanically. I'm replacing 100% of the interior cushions, putting in a new Force 10 stove, new fridge, new 12V battery system... but the Yanmar is freshly rebuilt, the standing and running rigging are in fair to very good condition, clean bottom, a couple leaky portlights, but the hatches are dry.

My question is about head and waste tank. Per the previous owner, the head was trashed and the waste tank sealed up. Anyone have any experience cutting out the wste tank? I believe it is situated inside a molded seat in the shower stall correct? I'm considering a composting toilet to replace the old conventional unit, with the thought of sealing up the thru-hull on my next haul out. Any composting toilet owners out there?

Thanks!

Dave in Rescue
Deryn Y Mor -- 1984 Hunter Cherubini 37

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congratulations on your new sailboat!!

No, but happy to look at it as I live in Benicia, albeit It would have to wait until end of Jan as I am camping in Palm Desert until then. Just send me a PM.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I had that exact same issue when we acquired our HC 37 back in 1999.

I removed the old tank by accessing it through the storage bin under the vee berth on the starboard side. Using what I had, I used a hole saw to make multiple overlapping holes to cut it up, and then just beat it into pieces small enough to pull out. A sawzall or grinder may be better. I recommend not cutting into the shower stall seat. (You just have to keep up the mutilation until it succumbs to removal).

I removed a whole bunch of hoses, 2 Y valves, and a hand pump. (The original system had facilities for going overboard directly, going into the tank, pumping the tank overboard, or pumping out the tank).

As a temporary measure I installed a Sealand 700 series and then found it fitted our needs so well, and has been so trouble free, I have never replaced it. The space under the shower seat is now used for storage.

Attachments