New Tiller / Rudder Advice for a 26D

Jun 28, 2016
Macgregor 26D Lake Hartwell
I recently purchased a '90 26D and quickly noticed that the rudder and tiller were in need for replacement as they were original and beat up badly. On this site, there are several options that I can choose for ordering, but in reading, I ran across several owners who made comments like "MacGregor should be ashamed to have the rudder / tiller design that it has on it's boat." I'm unsure if the tiller / rudders offered through this sight are of poor design / quality or not. Any advice on what to purchase?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I haven't bought a rudder from here but the picture looks the same as the one from Rudder Craft. If it is then you're in good shape. You are correct; the original Macgregor rudders were too small and poorly balanced.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
The biggest thing with the rudder on the classic is keeping it fully down. It actually goes forward slightly. Don't let it go back at all while sailing as the load is incredible and can break the tiller or the rudder. Remember it's a trailerable boat so it has to be able to fold back and of course kick back in shallow water. I would love to have a new rudder from RudderCraft.

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
Mine came with an IdaSailor plastic rudder. It's fantastic. (expensive, but fantastic) As long as it's not really blowing, I can steer with one finger (maybe you can say the same for any rudder with correctly trimmed sails?)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I bought my ash tiller and foil rudder on my 26S from IdaSailor aka Ruddercraft. Great investment. You'll want a prop guard so you don't chew it up!