As wooden boats go I am a fan but, an inflatable solves many things

Light weight an inflatable dinghy will be about 60-80 lbs
Built in bumpers, boat does not bag into anything
load = a typical inflatable dinghy can handle 800+ lbs
Does not tip (at all) your semi boat guests will like this

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
I do like wooden boats but...

on load and tip factor alone an inflatable wins.....

never mind light weight, stow-ability, fast under power, built in bumper system
never painting or varnishing.

Yes dragging up on a beach flll of muscles or sharps not good.
If you take super good care of it an inflatable will get ya 10 years

Oh yes, rowing an inflatable is not something you want to do...

Jun 16, 2020
Hinckley Sou’wester 30 Falmouth ME
Any obvious issues with using a rowing/sailing 11-foot catboat as a tender? We are likely no more than weekend sailors with an overnight here and there, so I anticipate only towing her around Maine waters and using her to go ashore on overnights. Generally it will just be the Admiral and me, but would like to comfortably be able to take another adult couple and if the three kids are home, would be nice to be able to get them aboard.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Should be fine for the purpose you are suggesting.
Something like this?
1609702190664.png

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Tenders need to be able to ride on the stern wave of your boat. Sometimes you find they just do not tow well. Often those tenders saw through their tow line and go adrift.

If I was buying one I would test out the towing, entering and exiting the dinghy from your boat, rigging the boat, and if prossible, can I get the boat up on the mother ship to weather dangerous seas.

Jun 16, 2020
Hinckley Sou’wester 30 Falmouth ME
Good points. The other tender I had been looking at was a Chaisson dory. Anyone have a feel of the advantages or disadvantages of either?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Any obvious issues with using a rowing/sailing 11-foot catboat as a tender? We are likely no more than weekend sailors with an overnight here and there, so I anticipate only towing her around Maine waters and using her to go ashore on overnights. Generally it will just be the Admiral and me, but would like to comfortably be able to take another adult couple and if the three kids are home, would be nice to be able to get them aboard.
As long as it tows and rows well, and you enjoy rowing, there are no downsides to a rowing tender that I've found.

It's the simplest tender system available. Keep an eye on the important (only) parts; oars, locks and rowlocks, and secure stowage of same, and it will never fail you.

A dinghy anchor is especially handy cruising the coast of Maine. We use a simple small Danforth with 100' of 1/4" nylon. It's use is primarily to run up the beach and stick in the sand or behind a rock. It's not unusual to hear of sailors stranded on islands as our tidal range can float your dinghy off in no time.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Portland Pudgy. Unsinkable, rows, sails, motors, acts as a lifeboat? Made in Maine. I have a Fatty Knees, original Lyle Hess design, Dave Foynes is still making them in Cape Cod, very pretty row boat that sails. Not an easy decision, inflatables are easier to stow, rigids row nice, I have an inflatable with a rigid bottom, motors nice, easier to transport, just not as classy as the Fatty Knees. Good luck.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Portland Pudgy
Great concept, but not a desirable boat, IMHO.
Downsides: Overweight, overpriced, poor performing, and unattractive. I don't like roto-molded boats.
Upsides: See their website. Durable, rugged, "unsinkable" (unless cracked or pierced). Can be used as a not-so-good liferaft.

Given the @Captain W 's stated needs and situation, @TomY gave very good advice. :thumbup:

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Good points. The other tender I had been looking at was a Chaisson dory. Anyone have a feel of the advantages or disadvantages of either?
Pretty boat. There are descriptions that the Chaisson Dory is a good tender, but I can't find any pics or testimonial as to how it tows.

Probably an 11' dory/catboat would be fine for sheltered coastal sailing and towing. Do you have pics of what you're considering?

The problem would be if the bow of the tender doesn't ride out of the water, the boat can 'hunt' on it's tether (as Jim mentions). That's disastrous as the boat will quickly swamp.

Check around with owners that tow them and get real feedback.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
A Trinka 10 would be a good choice, but they are hard to find. They row wonderfully, and with the sailing gear they supply recreation at anchor.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Here is a picture of the one we are considering.

View attachment 188776

That is a beautiful boat! What a joy it would be to row and sail, even with a friend or two onboard.

In sheltered waters and conditions, it should serve your purposes well. If you decide to range out of Casco Bay, I'd consider a smaller easily towed tender. You could have both.

Maybe it has one already, but it will need a stout towing attachment point, through bolted and low (to keep the bow high), on the stem.

Lawley tender.jpg

When I see tenders like that used I often see quickly deployed fenders tied inside that can be thrown over the gunwales to tie up alongside the mother ship. The Lawley tender above has both; the bow attachment point, and fenders strung on a line from stem to stern, all of which is thrown over the gunwales to tie up alongside.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
That looks like it would be a fun boat to have. Looks in good shape and has been cared for. It appears to be a bit long for a tender. I suspect it would tow ok as long as you can keep the bow high.

What makes it look to be good for rowing, might make it a challenge as a tender.
  • Good for rowing are the long sweep of the sheer and the wide low mid section. A solid extended center keel would help it track well. The lapstrake hull would help to deflect moderate chop.
  • On the other side, the short mid and transom length brings the gunnel down close to the water line. Chop hitting the boat when towed might ship a bit of water into the boat. Having an auto bailer might help.

It is no good to have to stop and bail the tender while cruising.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I wonder how well that plumb bow would tow. If the bow were to dig in at all the boat might veer quite a bit. Most towable tenders have the tow point farther ahead of the knuckle at the water line to help keeping the bow pointed in the right direction. Or, in the case of inflatables, spread it out with a bridle which would also help directional stability.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Great concept, but not a desirable boat, IMHO.
Downsides: Overweight, overpriced, poor performing, and unattractive. I don't like roto-molded boats.
Upsides: See their website. Durable, rugged, "unsinkable" (unless cracked or pierced). Can be used as a not-so-good liferaft.
That's one of the more charitable reviews I've seen of the Pudgy. Bob Perry says they make him think of suppositories.

Pudgy's have a small following in my harbor. Not a bad tender, they tow fine but drag nearly as much as an inflatable.

They row poorly (everything moves and flexes). Not as bad as rowing an inflatable but many end up with outboards if the owner needs some range(good Torqueedo fit).

Sort of a Maine enigma. :)

PERSEVERENCE and Pudgy 2.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That's one of the more charitable reviews I've seen of the Pudgy. Bob Perry says they make him think of suppositories.

Pudgy's have a small following in my harbor. Not a bad tender, they tow fine but drag nearly as much as an inflatable.

They row poorly (everything moves and flexes). Not as bad as rowing an inflatable but many end up with outboards if the owner needs some range(good Torqueedo fit).

Sort of a Maine enigma. :)
The Pudgy is one of those products that tries to do all things, but ends up doing none of them well.