New San Juan 28 owner - propellor question

Apr 11, 2016
San Juan 28 Comox
Hi all

Just purchased a 1983 San Juan 28 up in Campbell River 6 days ago, and very excited about getting it fully equipped, found many interesting pieces on your web site.

We just had it lifted as the packing was leaking and found the shaft not aligned perfectly. Long story short, this has necessitated us in getting ready to install a new shaft, coupling as well as a PSS drip less system. The shaft will be slightly longer as the old one had very little room between hull and propeller.
The Yanmar 2YM15 engine was installed back in 2006, found the receipt but they obviously did not do things diligently with shaft and engine alignment, we can see a slight deviation and it took a lot of work to remove all the old shaft/ parts and rudder.

My question is, the propeller is a 14RH10 pitch 2 blade propeller, is this the correct size based on your knowledge? I could only run the rpm up to 2000 on the short trip to the yard.

If you or someone you know who may have an idea, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance on this question.

Frode

Sent from my iPad

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I have the Bigger version a 30sl it has a 16x9 Rh and I have a ferryman A-30 I run at 1750rmp at 7.5 knots with ease fuel usage is Minimal @ 0.19gph so I get about 5 hrs on a Gallon of Diesel it is a single cyl. 12hp and pushes my big ol heavy along nicely in the currents the Strait is know for some up ward of 5.5 knots depending on tide I have no Problem at all with the 16x9 prop she works fine but even with your 14 at 2000 you should get 7 knots with it I hardly ever have gone over 2000 anytime I stay at 1850 max you might try the 16 inch it may push it along but The sail Do work the Best in our winds here I use the engine not very often 17 gallons of fuel lasts the whole summer use it to get out of the Marina unfurl the Jib and when you get past the Marker buoy Pull out the Main I don't reley on the engine for Power After all you Have a Sail Boat SAIL HER

Apr 11, 2016
San Juan 28 Comox
Thanks for the info. But we did find the problem. The exhaust elbow was completely plugged which prevented the engine from going to the higher rpm, had to replace all the elbows and fittings and it revs up to the max. Rpm no problem.
We are now working on cleaning up the DC wiring and found the rudder seal leaking but that is now replaced, very excited about sailing the good old boat as everyone has only good things to say about the San Juans.
Thanks for the reply and happy sailing...

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
Great I hope to see you out Sailing some time and So Glad you found the problem Enjoy Sailing May it Truly be the Happiest Days of your Life Sail On With the wind in you Face and Enjoy every Moment