New Rocna Stowable Anchor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I just found out from a friend of mine that Rocna now makes a stowable version of their anchor.

Here is a photo of the Rocna 20 stowable next to a Rocna 25 stowable. Notice the bolt and slot on the bottom of the anchor.

Photos Courtesy Rocna Anchors NZ (LINK)

Here's a detail photo of the locking screw mechanism:

No idea on what the beasties cost though.

Last edited:

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I cannot find anything on their website. Where did your friend get it? I did read on a cruiser forum about some prototypes out there.

Aug 11, 2005
Colvin Adryn Mor Newport News, Va
Hmm I wonder

I am in the market for a coupe of new anchors. Wonder if they make one that will hold a 42' steel ketch.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Spade got in a whole lot a news when one of their stowables came apart...

And it appeared to be customer error. Just like this design the bolt did not hold the load, but if the owner does not tighten it ... it can fall out.

I hope they don't get burned by the idiot factor.

Oct 22, 2008
Unfortunately, making something idiot-proof is really tough, because, in the race between man and God, where man makes something idiot-proof and God makes a better idiot, God is winning. Besides, he can upgrade his idiots without having to replace them. :)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
From my observations most boaters don't carry a proper set of wrenches and that bolt can't be tightened properly with a pair of channel lock pliers. I guess my question would have to be, if you need to stow your anchor are you crossing an ocean? That anchor is like my brakes on my car I want it available right now!

Oct 22, 2008
Ross—

The real benefit I see of having a Rocna Stowable is if you're planning on using a larger version of it as an "GTH" anchor, and aren't keeping it on the bow roller as a general rule. The roll bar and stock make the thing a real bear to stow. If that's the case... duct tape the proper size box wrench in a ziplock baggie to the anchor and then stow it whereever you want.

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Ross, it's not uncommon on a cross oceanic trip to remove the anchor once you're in deeper water. Less weight in the bow, no chance of an accidental deployment in rough seas, etc. Once you're a couple of miles off shore it wont do you any good anyway. Mike

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Ross, it's not uncommon on a cross oceanic trip to remove the anchor once you're in deeper water. Less weight in the bow, no chance of an accidental deployment in rough seas, etc. Once you're a couple of miles off shore it wont do you any good anyway. Mike
Mike and Dog, I realize that once you get off soundings you don't need a hook. And that some carry a very large anchor as a storm hook.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Stowable Anchor is Good Insurance

Between here (Puget Sound) and Alaska the weather reporting is not very good for a number of reasons and it is good insurance to carry a storm anchor.

Because there is no land for many miles westward of Washington, Alaska, and B.C., there is limited weather information available for weather forcasting purposes. Just a few offshore weather buoys. By the time the limited weather data starts to be input into the computers it's almost too late so one has to be prepared. The rest of the country, on the other hand, has the benefit of a masive amount of weather information as systems move eastward.

Adding insult to injury, Congress has never funded weather radar that can see past the Olympic Mountains. The Olympics block the view of Sea-Tac's radar so we get very little warning.

Between here and Alaska safe harbors are often few and far between. What one needs, ideally, when a major system passes is a harbor which is protected from all winds, i.e., 360 degrees. On the coast, for example, the winds will be from the northwest. As the front approaches and passes the winds will increase and then clock around to the southeast and then east. Depending on the mountains and the wind funneling up and down the channels, the winds will be different. Bottom line, one needs a really good storm anchor setup.

We carry a storm anchor with 45-ft of 5/16-inch High Test chain and 425-ft 5/8 braided-line rode for our 35-footer. This complements our standard 35# anchor with the same chain and rode.

Do you need all this stuff? Well, we rode out a 103+ (weather station was blown away at this speed) knot storm in August (oh yea, and this is the "safe" month!) so now we go really prepared.

Good storm groundtackle is good insurance.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I think that the chain serves two purposes; some chafe protection and some added weight. I think that going up a size on the anchor and on the chain will likely make up for the other short comings of an anchor type. If the "experts advise" for a thirty foot boat calls for a 15 kg Rochna or a 35 pound CQR on 5/16 chain what is the harm to go with a 22 kg Rochna or a 45 pound CQR on 3/8 chain and extra 25 pounds in the bow of the boat isn't going to tip the balance and sink the boat.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
What is the bolt for?

The stock clearly gets installed from the bottom if you notice there is a cross pin that fits in a slot on the bottom of the anchor so the bolt is not to prevent the stock from pulling through the anchor body. So what is it for?

Oct 22, 2008
As Roger said, it is to keep the fluke from slipping up the stock. IF the fluke moves up the stock it won't set properly—it needs to stay in the position it was designed to be in. In many ways, the design makes a lot of sense, since you're really not depending on the bolt to resist the loads against the anchor in use.
The stock clearly gets installed from the bottom if you notice there is a cross pin that fits in a slot on the bottom of the anchor so the bolt is not to prevent the stock from pulling through the anchor body. So what is it for?

Mar 7, 2005
HR 40 Chesapeake Bay
The Rocna Stowable 25 is my anchor. Unfortunately sailingdog has ignored notice that he does not have permission to use my photos. Not cool. I'm not his friend and he isn't mine.

The anchor is my secondary and supplements the standard Rocna 25 I carry on the bow.

I will report back once I have a chance to get the anchor wet. It's very cold and windy here on Chesapeake Bay. I may get out this weekend.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What the experts suggest and up one size

may not necessarily be the appropriate approach.

Many publications, including Calder's Cruising Handbook, have DESIGN instructions and tables for sizing an anchoring SYSTEM.

The boat develops a LOAD on an anchoring system based on the strength of the wind and the size and type of boat.

The anchor has a certain HOLDING POWER, as do ALL of the components of the system: chain, rode, and shackles.

So, rather than simply going "one size up," do some research and size your system properly. You may be quite surprised to learn that larger rode is not necessary even if you go up one size in chain.

Interesting design issues there.

Jan 22, 2009
2 48 Viaduct Auckland
Release of the new Rocna Stowable is planned for the very near future.

Final development is almost finished and production planning complete.

We will be announcing further information as our release date approaches over the next couple of months.

I can confirm that it is an exciting , and expensive, development that will compliment the current range and enable easier shipping and better stowing possibilities.

As far as the unauthorized photos go that started this thread, we are happy to take the free publicity and absorb the comments and criticism with an open mind.

Watch this space:)

GNK
Rocna
NZ

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The Rocna Stowable 25 is my anchor. Unfortunately sailingdog has ignored notice that he does not have permission to use my photos. Not cool. I'm not his friend and he isn't mine.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious

Dave,

Since you admitted to me in a PM, and an email, that Rocna actually took the photos, not you, and now Rocna has given SBO permission to use the photos, (see above post by MarineExtreme which is Rocna) we will be leaving them up. They make the thread so with Rocna's permission it would be counter intuitive to remove them.

As far as the unauthorized photos go that started this thread, we are happy to take the free publicity and absorb the comments and criticism with an open mind.
GNK
Rocna
NZ
Perhaps Craig trusted you with the photos, and then you shared them with others, and this is why you felt the need to have them removed? I don't know?

I can't otherwise see why a Rocna supporter would want good photos of a great new design removed? Either way Rocna is now on board with their use..

Status
Not open for further replies.