New prop

May 11, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sakonnet, RI
I am working on my engine this off-season.
New bellows and o ring on the shaft, motor mounts, and transmission rebuild.
While the shaft is free, are there much improved props on the market since 04 for a Beneteau 323??
TY, Cap'n Dave

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I am working on my engine this off-season.
New bellows and o ring on the shaft, motor mounts, and transmission rebuild.
While the shaft is free, are there much improved props on the market since 04 for a Beneteau 323??
TY, Cap'n Dave
If you still have a fixed prop I’d recommend looking at a Flex-o-fold. I’ve given my thoughts on it before, here and here.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Or, for something between a regular prop and a folding one, the Campbell Sailor Prop, improved performance under sail and power, simplicity of a fixed prop, cheaper. Check out MaineSail's review:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: For the Campbell Sailor.
Installed the new prop last spring. It was a whole new world on the boat. Power pushes me forward instead of dragging the stern 6 inches under water. Gained 1.5 knots under power and about 1 knot under sail. A lot less prop wash, which took some getting used to.

The process working with Kelsey at WestbyNorth could not have been easier. We discussed the details of my motor, transmission, boat hull and he designed the prop to fit. Install was without incident.

I'd do this again.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I opted for a Gori 2-blade folder. The meat of the blades if more toward the outside of the prop, and I believe that gives better thrust.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Look at Kiwi I love it ,It's light weight stainless ,come into the slip and it's like having brakes and a good price , pitch is fully adjustable to get hull speed

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
i had success with the Kiwi prop as well, initially it was too fine but at the next haul I adjusted the pitch and then all was perfect. The adjustment is super easy. It didn't do that well on a prop test, however I would say the price/performance is good, and you can't trust these tests necessarily as the situation is pretty complicated.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
i had success with the Kiwi prop as well, initially it was too fine but at the next haul I adjusted the pitch and then all was perfect. The adjustment is super easy.
Pitch adjustment of any feathering prop (maybe the Luke prop being the exception) can be performed underwater while the boat is in her slip. No need to haul (or wait for a haulout) to do this. FYI.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Kiwi has made many improvements that are all compatable with earlier versions.
The new blades add up to 1 knot and we're not part of the testing against other props

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
FST is correct you don't have to take it off to adjust it, however it is easier the first time for sure if it is out of the water. The Kiwi seems like a bullet proof design, there is really no mechanism, depending on the rotation of the shaft the blade will flop into the reverse position (fixed pitch) or into the forward position (pitch defined by a set screw) no gears at all. The hub is stainless and the blades are composite and individually replaceable. So it is some hydrodynamic magic that does this. The only complaint i have heard is that sometimes the fixed reverse pitch is quite coarse and can sometimes stall marginal engines. As I said worked much better than my fixed two blade both for sailing and for motoring (smoother)

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
No problem kiwi can be adjusted in the water ,however where I sail lake Ontario it's too cold and it should be done with feeler gauges to make sure all the blades are balanced exact pitch

Jul 6, 2018
Beneteau First 375 Halifax
Or, for something between a regular prop and a folding one, the Campbell Sailor Prop, improved performance under sail and power, simplicity of a fixed prop, cheaper. Check out MaineSail's review:
I have had the Campbell Sail Prop on my last 2 boats a C & C 30 and now my Beneteau 375, they are the best being Fixed with Low Drag, They are North by West out of Vancouver, you can google them to see their website.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I opted for a Gori 2-blade folder. The meat of the blades if more toward the outside of the prop, and I believe that gives better thrust.
This is what I have, but it was there when we bought the boat. Can't say it's beneficial to me cruising an oversized pond, but the racers are envious.:huh:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I changed to a 2 blade Gori thanks to Ron. The one I got from him was deliberately over pitched. I used it for awhile but obviously could not get to max engine rpm. I ultimately purchased a properly pitched Gori and got my engine rpm up to where it should be. Anyway, I now have an extra Gori sitting in my garage...

The primary reason I went with a folding prop was that Yanmar engine/transmission recommendation is to leave the transmission in neutral and let the prop freewheel. I couldn’t stand the constant rotation noise. The Gori prop actually help me gain an extra knot in sailing speed.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
bottom line, you have to ask yourself. 'are you a sailor or are you a motor sailor'? read mainsail's report. it's very honest. fixed props are like dragging a bucket off the taff rail. can't get around it. but hey, most socalled 'cruisers' motor 70% of the time anyway going from A to B.
i'm all about the sailing. no dragging a prop through the water for me.
life is choices.
sailing without prop drag just feels way better to me from the helm, about 5% better in speed from A to B

Mar 24, 2013
Beneteau 311 Middle River
I choose a gori, but opted for a three blade. More investment, but increased boat speed by 1.5 knots under power (18hp yanmar in B311), at least a knot under sail with noticeably less turbulence around the rudder when sailing over 6 knots. Greatly improved stopping and backing as well.