New Pearson 23 Owner with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2011
Pearson 23 Harrison Township, MI
Hello All, I'm completeing the purchase of a 1979 Pearson 23 - sail #41. I've owned several boats before and I'm coming back to sailing after a few yeaars away. I'm sure I'll be looking for help in the weeks and months ahead, and wanted to reach out to any Pearson 23 owners.

My first question is about the traveller, really the lack of one. I have a fitting at the stern edge of the bridge deck. It looks like the fibreglass was laid up to have a traveller running cross cockpit here, but just a ring fitting at center. It seems that sheeting the main will suffer if the line and blocks can't shift to port & starboard. My memory is the boom will lift badly as the main sheet is let out.

Does anyone have this issue? I've seen photos of P23's with a traveller and I wonder if they were standard or owner installed. Any advice on installing a traveller here would be appreciated. It looks like a lot of glasswork would be required to get the traveller flush with the bridgedeck.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking forward to finding fellow owners and sharing expereinces.

Feb 24, 2010
Pearson 23 sloop Clear Lake TX
Christy Ann

My 23 has a traveller & it came with the boat. The problem I had with it was the cleets were to low and very hard to set the line. I have place the cleet on a lift mounting and it works fine.

Chappytoo (Dave Chapman)

Hello All, I'm completeing the purchase of a 1979 Pearson 23 - sail #41. I've owned several boats before and I'm coming back to sailing after a few yeaars away. I'm sure I'll be looking for help in the weeks and months ahead, and wanted to reach out to any Pearson 23 owners.

My first question is about the traveller, really the lack of one. I have a fitting at the stern edge of the bridge deck. It looks like the fibreglass was laid up to have a traveller running cross cockpit here, but just a ring fitting at center. It seems that sheeting the main will suffer if the line and blocks can't shift to port & starboard. My memory is the boom will lift badly as the main sheet is let out.

Does anyone have this issue? I've seen photos of P23's with a traveller and I wonder if they were standard or owner installed. Any advice on installing a traveller here would be appreciated. It looks like a lot of glasswork would be required to get the traveller flush with the bridgedeck.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking forward to finding fellow owners and sharing expereinces.

Apr 11, 2011
Pearson 23 Harrison Township, MI
So on cleaning up the boat in prep for putting it in the water I discovered that there is a slot fully across the bridge deck. It was filled with odd "slabs" of fiberglass - one each side. Had a traveller track off an old boat which fits perfectly - at the right price. (I'll post pictures later.)

Thanks again!

The boat has been out for a brief shakedown - petty windy and gusty with irregular waves. Anyone with a 23 have suggestgions on where taking a reef might be appropriate? We has 15 knots, gusting to 20. Wish I had taken a reef, as we spent too much time adjusting and didn't observe as much as I would have liked.

My boat is in lake St. Clair (NE of Detroit.) Any other owners in the area? I'd love to talk with someone experienced with the boat and will provide contact info.

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Congrats on the new boat. The answer to the reefing question is: "If the thought of reefing crosses your mind, do it right away." I've ignored that a time or two and paid dearly for it. Tie a reef in before leaving the dock if you're not sure; you can always shake it out later if conditions improve. Practice reefing when it's not blowing hard so that when you really have to do it, you'll reef with confidence. Happy sailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.