New owners/new name

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Catalina 31 38 GIG HARBOR
Hi all we finally found a 310 that fit our needs and budget. Fin keel, new sails, meticulous maintenance record and in great condition. Really enjoy this forum. Need to rename...thoughts on protocols etc. Don’t want to make Poseidon angry!
Hull #38
Thanks all!
John (Sandi)
Gig Harbor Wa

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome “John and Sandi”.
Check out our PacificNW Cruising forum.

The naming ceremony has many variations. It generally involves asking the gods of wind and sea to check the list of names. Remove the old name and bless the new name. At times owners have written the old name on paper. Shaped the paper into an origami boat, set the boat on fire and launched the boat on the sea. This has a bit of Viking heritage to it. To honor the gods one is called to make a sacrifice. Here it can get a little weird. Various offerings have been suggested. A virgin, some fine wine, sage or many other possible ideas. Some, especially in the NW, have asked a shaman to join in.
A statement or chant announcing the new name. Be sure to address the winds as a sailboat needs to be on good terms with the winds Accompany the naming with an adult beverage and sharing a little with the god of the sea. A little music. A little dance all enliven the experience.

Those are the broad strokes. Make the event your own. Naming a boat is a special experience.

Fair winds.
John

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Thanks for the info! We’ll post pics once we settle on a name!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
As far as sacrifice to the gods. In ancient Greece, if a pig, for example, was sacrificed, the gods feasted on the essence of the sacrifice through the aroma. The worshipers were free to eat the material flesh. So, a BBQ, might work well.
;)

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Just to .............How to Rename a Boat:
  1. Remove all traces of the current name.
  2. Begin the purging ceremony.
  3. Begin the renaming ceremony.
  4. Appease the four wind gods.
  5. If you have champagne left, indulge in honor of completing the ceremony.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tsk tsk James...
You clipped that out of context. It confuses the message...

"Shaped the paper into an origami boat, set the boat on fire and launched the boat on the sea."

The paper boat has the old name on it. OH James oh James...

• Ha
Sep 25, 2019
CATALINA C27 Lk Norman NC
It was the "symbolism" that counts:facepalm:

I guess I am just having fun today at the OP's @JAE expense.
But to help them...
The Best Boat Names From A-Z

My favorite is still...

YOT [sounds like yacht]

but its TOY spelled backwards.
Jim...
A friend of my parents had her boat named IXAT...............taxi backwards..Many a good time on that in my youth ( even if it was a stinkpotter :) )

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
When I renamed my boat, a ceremony was planned. We looked forward to dockside consumption of considerable amounts of Champagne and Cava. But, due to various issues such as incredibly high water levels on Lake St. Clair and Covid-19 we were prevented from doing so. So far the gods have not rained down their anger on me. I do fret about it though. Maybe the bad luck was in advance?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I changed mine when I transferred the CG documents. Next sail called for dark rum at captain’s hour with a shot overboard. It’s my opinion Poseidon wants action not words. This was a couple years ago and nothing outside of the normal money being thrown at it. You have to remove all signs of the old name also. Mine was easy as it was just vinyl letters that had to come off anyway.
I’m just across the way from you at the Breakwater.

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Thanks Mike! That sounds reasonable with my wife has found a pretty good routine for us to follow. We are documenting as well so will wait for that to occur. Are you on a 310 also? Perhaps we will see you out there sometime
John

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
‘78 Hunter 30. Have you taken care of the paperwork yet? I was going to let my lapse and just put WN numbers on it. Turns out it doesn’t work that way and cost just as much to cancel it that it does to transfer it. I ended up paying a service in Port Townsend to deal with it. Took about 4 months to get the docs.

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Hey Mike just getting to submitting paperwork.
It was documented by previous owners but lapsed and it was a mess to untangle when purchasing...

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Just a thought. Might think about a name the Coast Guard could reply to. Something like "Lost at Sea' might
confuse them. ( grn).

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
i lean too
San Jose, CA

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Congrats, we did a renaming ceremony with friends and fellow sailors. I had everyone in my family take a part and the 310 held the most people at the afterparty! Fun day, women loved the wine and champagne guys beer and bourbon!