New owner sea cock question

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Ref: C310s. Am I correct that C310s have Marelon Series 93 OEM thru hulls? The ones with the 3" diameter base (also called a king nut)?

I'm in the "Close all seacocks when leaving the boat" group. While I plan to be at the boat every weekend or more often, plans do change.
I made paracord loops with tags that say "Seacock Is Open". Those tags hang on the seacocks when closed and in a visible place when the seacocks are open. IE: Galley faucet, door handle of head, engine key on gear shift lever, etc.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Forespar Marelube for the Marelon seacocks that we have also works well.

I apologize in advance if I’m teaching you to suck eggs. The handle for the seacock should be horizontal in the closed position, and vertical in the open position. You should cycle each seacock five or six times each month, otherwise they can stiffen and be a real bear to open/close. Take them apart and lubricate them (I use Teflon grease) when you haul the boat. They seacock for the kitchen sink seacock is a real “joy” to access.

Is it possible something like a barnacle is jamming the seacock open a bit? Theory says you can take it apart with the boat in the water, using the white on the seacock to plug the hole. I’m not inclined to do that on my boat

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
Is it possible something like a barnacle is jamming the seacock open a bit? Theory says you can take it apart with the boat in the water, using the white on the seacock to plug the hole. I’m not inclined to do that on my boat
[/QUOTE]

So let’s say the kitchen seacock is a bit blocked by a barnacle - is it better to try to run something from inside the boat to dislodge or get underneath and try scrape barnacle out? I’m in the murky Chesapeake Bay Area so visibility below is limited.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The discharge hose from the galley sink in my boat is not a straight run and the trap prevents running a snake down. I don’t believe a snake would clear a firmly attached barnacle. I dive on my boat, using a hookah, once per month to clean the hull, prop, and through hulls. I use a screw driver with a cut off blade to run around the through hulls to ensure they are clear. I’m in the water approx 90 minutes.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Sorry, I have been remiss in Welcoming you to 310 Ownership and the Forum!
This is a tremendous Resource the folks here are a huge asset!
Welcome!

SJN

May 30, 2021
Catalina C310 Seattle
Hello! My 2004 hull 260 does not have a t valve to select between the shower and refer. Instead, each has a drain hose to the sump pump box in the bilge that is controlled by a sump pump switch in the head. Thus, the box has two inlets , shower and refer, and one exhaust. While unusual, I am told that my boat's set up could have been built that way at the factory. Since yours is similar vintage, check your sump box for how many hoses are connected.

That said, my shower drain is plugged. A snake gets stuck from either end at a 90 degree tee in the drain hose. My fix it plan will use compressed air to try to blow out the restriction. If that does not work, I will use a water hose albeit that could get really messy very fast.

SJN

May 30, 2021
Catalina C310 Seattle
one more detail. To prevent either the shower drain or refer drain from backfilling the other, the sump pump box has one way check valves on each incoming drain line. If yours is like mine, examine the check valves to make sure they are working and not full of crud.