• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

New owner sea cock question

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Ref: C310s. Am I correct that C310s have Marelon Series 93 OEM thru hulls? The ones with the 3" diameter base (also called a king nut)?

I'm in the "Close all seacocks when leaving the boat" group. While I plan to be at the boat every weekend or more often, plans do change.
I made paracord loops with tags that say "Seacock Is Open". Those tags hang on the seacocks when closed and in a visible place when the seacocks are open. IE: Galley faucet, door handle of head, engine key on gear shift lever, etc.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Forespar Marelube for the Marelon seacocks that we have also works well.

I apologize in advance if I’m teaching you to suck eggs. The handle for the seacock should be horizontal in the closed position, and vertical in the open position. You should cycle each seacock five or six times each month, otherwise they can stiffen and be a real bear to open/close. Take them apart and lubricate them (I use Teflon grease) when you haul the boat. They seacock for the kitchen sink seacock is a real “joy” to access.

Is it possible something like a barnacle is jamming the seacock open a bit? Theory says you can take it apart with the boat in the water, using the white on the seacock to plug the hole. I’m not inclined to do that on my boat

Dec 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Middle River
Is it possible something like a barnacle is jamming the seacock open a bit? Theory says you can take it apart with the boat in the water, using the white on the seacock to plug the hole. I’m not inclined to do that on my boat
[/QUOTE]

So let’s say the kitchen seacock is a bit blocked by a barnacle - is it better to try to run something from inside the boat to dislodge or get underneath and try scrape barnacle out? I’m in the murky Chesapeake Bay Area so visibility below is limited.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The discharge hose from the galley sink in my boat is not a straight run and the trap prevents running a snake down. I don’t believe a snake would clear a firmly attached barnacle. I dive on my boat, using a hookah, once per month to clean the hull, prop, and through hulls. I use a screw driver with a cut off blade to run around the through hulls to ensure they are clear. I’m in the water approx 90 minutes.