New Owner of 1989 Catalina 30 MKII

Dec 12, 2017
Catalina C 30 Lake Grapevine, Grapevine TX
I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere, but my searches didn't find it.

Just purchased my 1989 C30 MKII and was wondering if someone could point me to some threads or links which discuss the systems and operation common to this boat?

Would appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Thanks...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There also is a Catalina website.
There are actually two or three Catalina 30 websites, in addition to the link John provided here on this forum. Google is your friend in finding them, if you haven't already. One or more of them should have the owners manual, actually a very handy and useful document, should be reread yearly by owners. In addition to that your boat and mine have almost identical systems, so poke around our C34 website, forum and a wiki, for other system Q&As.

Congratulations on your new boat! Happy New Year!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@Stu Jackson was a little bashful in promoting the Catalina International Association -- he has written articles in their quarterly Magazine - Mainsheet since God was a little boy. http://www.catalina30.com/ joining there gets you quite a few benefits - I know our 36 org loans tools like prop and cutlass pullers, keel bolt torque kits.... So look what the 30 group offers - it might just save you a ton of $$

Les

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to SBO RC!
I just purchased a 93 C30 the beginning of Nov. When I got interested in the C30 back in August I went to the Catalina 30 forum on this site. I went to the last page of threads, #139, and have been working my way forward. I'm on page 67.
I have found the answers to most of my questions so far. And some posters will post links to other sites with good information which will help C30 owners.
Stu frequently will post links to threads and articles on the C34.org web site. AS Stu said, that site has a wealth of information on systems common among the C30, C34 and C36 boats. Especially pertaining to the diesels. I can get stuck on a thread on this sites Catalina 30 forum for a few days as I follow links to other /threads/sites and more links within those threads/sites.
As well as the catalina30.com association site Les mentions and the C34.org site there is a Catalina 30 Yahoo group which seems pretty active. I personally have trouble following the Yahoo groups message flow.
Even though Stu says you can find the owners manual on some of those sites, I never could so I bought it from Catalina Direct.
Enjoy!!

Dec 12, 2017
Hello to all... and thanks to all who have responded so far.

Think I'm going to like the C30 for day sails on a medium size lake in DFW area - Lake Grapevine - just the right size without a huge investment. Very nice one owner in great condition. Very easy boat to sail - even by only one person.

And it doesn't hurt that its in a nice marina only 10 minutes away.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
if you don't have one, the first thing i suggest is you hunt up an owners manual - an invaluable resource. then read it. also an engine manual.

Dec 12, 2017
Yes... I found the owners manuals and went through them... and... they are helpful... if not perfectly accurate in all instances. Also - have a great "Rigger" as a neighbor at the marina, who has been very helpful. An "old salty dog" who holds a captains license with USCG, who's sailed the Caribbean Islands 25-30 times - he knows the Catalina 30 (which he has also) in all respects. Very helpful!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
a neighbor at the marina, An "old salty dog"
Sometimes it is good to befriend the old salty dog. They often subsist on fine rum. Listen and you’ll learn the secrets of the deep.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
Yes... I found the owners manuals and went through them... and... they are helpful... if not perfectly accurate in all instances. Also - have a great "Rigger" as a neighbor at the marina, who has been very helpful. An "old salty dog" who holds a captains license with USCG, who's sailed the Caribbean Islands 25-30 times - he knows the Catalina 30 (which he has also) in all respects. Very helpful!
please clarify on the inaccuracies, since i depend on mine.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Sometimes it is good to befriend the old salty dog
Yep, very important. Especially when he also owns a C30.
As to the inaccuracies of the manual, there have been many improvements made to the C30 so it needs to be understood that the manual may not show your specific boat details/year but it is good for general information.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Frankly, many boats aren't as Catalina made them anymore. Mine's not. I've got a different traveler, different rigging on the main sheet, and Gerry D. never though about an asym spin when he designed the C-30 but I fly mine quite a bit, etc.. So some of what you may want to know will fall down to "figure out how this xxxx thing works."

Systems are pretty simple and share a lot with the C-27 and C-34 fleets. Stu's links are always very good. Rigging is whatever works. Parts are completely available here (SBO) or Catalina Direct if SBO doesn't have it. There are at least 10 other folks in your marina with a C-30 - so make friends. On just my finger in the marina there are 5 C-30s. 5. I think maybe 10 total sailboats (and 20 or so powerboats) - yup, the C-30 is a popular boat.

Oh, and it's winter. We (SBO forumites) have been reduced to looking for cars in pictures of snails, so we may really wanna talk sailing. So feel free to ask here. Lotsa folks not doing anything will be happy to respond. Heck, I'm at the end of 2 wks of Santa Ana's and am in massive withdrawal from sailing. Think I'll go this weekend no matter what. Looked at the log and it's been 20+ days since my last sail... gotta take the boat out.

The C-30 is indeed a fantastic boat. It's a great day sailor, hellava good weekender, terrible bluewater boat. Sails well, is forgiving, and will never set any speed records. But it's that fantastic "middle-of-the-pack" combination that made it the #1 produced inboard sailboat of all time.

Dec 12, 2017
Thanks again to all of you.

Another quick question, not covered in the manual, or any site on line I've been able to find. Likely obvious to anyone who knows the electrical system on the '89 Cat30.

What is the red rocker switch on the electrical panel, right below the round battery selector switch? When should it be set to "on" or "off"?

I'm on shore power right now, and it's set to "on," but have no idea whether that's correct.

Thanks...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My slip neighbor had a C30, and IIRC, that switch lets you look at the 2 battery voltages? Like a SPDT switch?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
A photo will really help in identifying the switch. On my 93 I have a DC "Service On" light under the battery selector switch but no rocker switches in that location. To the right of the battery selector switch is the rocker switch to shows battery voltage for bat 1 and bat 2. It is directly under the Volt Meter.

Dec 12, 2017
Here's the photo. The red rocker switch is directly below the round battery switch.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's not a rocker switch, it's a light. And they are notorious for burning out. I replaced mine, and when it, too, died, I just forgot about it. I also have yet another replacement (I bought two, back when...) but I'm in no hurry to do it again, and I live behind my panel most of the time - I'm very familiar with the "guts." :)

Either don't bother, or find a 24V light which will not burn out.

Your boat, your choice. :)

Dec 12, 2017
Actually it is a rocker switch - "on" is to the right, and "off" is to the left - it does switch back and forth. Enlarge the pic and take a close look at it.

Someone did say they changed it to a fixed light in later models.

Dec 12, 2017
Are you saying it really doesn't function as a switch, even though it is a rocker switch - it just functions as a light?
And... the light is on, when the battery switch above is set to 1, 2, or All - and, the light is off, when the battery switch is set to "off?"