New Owner of 1989 Catalina 30 MKII

Dec 12, 2017
Catalina C 30 Lake Grapevine, Grapevine TX
I guess that would make sense - the light would be on if the DC service were switched "on" - and the light would be off - if it was switched "off."

Apparently the light in mine is burnt out - and doesn't light up as indicated above.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Here is a pic of my panel. The light on my panel, as you can see, is rectangular. I'm guessing a PO replaced the original "Service On" light with a lighted toggle switch. Probably easier to find the lighted toggle than the light alone.

Attachments

Dec 12, 2017
OK - that would seem to be the answer - its really just a light to indicate the DC service is on.

If I replace the bulb - it should be lit when the dial switch is set to 1,2 or All... and off, when its set to off.

I suppose I should just leave the rocker switch set to “on.”

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Y'all should just use an LED. Then it won't burn out. Or ignore it.
I'd ignore it. heck, if I wanted to know that the DC power was on I could look at the switch.

My boat never had such a thing. Of course, now I've got shiny new panels with leds all over em. It looks fancy. :)

Dec 12, 2017
Yes... that makes sense... except that this is a rocker switch with a light in it that's burnt out. If the rocker switch actually functions as a switch to turn a circuit on or off... I want to know what it does... and when its on or off.

I guess I can look behind the panel to see where it runs to... and... experiment with turning things on and off with and without shore power on. Or use an ammeter to trace it.

If its a functioning switch that will tell me what I need to know. Just thought someone here might have the same panel configuration on their C30 and could tell me what it does on theirs.

Thanks...

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Only way to know is to pull the panel. Easy to do. If the switch only has 2 wires on it it's a light. Otherwise, that third wire does indeed control something.

Betcha Ward is right - easier to find a switch than a light. And possibly they just used the switch to turn off the light.

Dec 12, 2017
Yes... it appears to be just a light to indicate the DC power is on - only a small gauge red wire to the battery cable terminal (on the panel) & a small gauge black wire to a ground. Guess that powers a light in the rocker switch - must have been all they had to serve as a light when they put it together.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
RC More likely the panel came that way and the installer did not see a reason to change it.

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere, but my searches didn't find it.

Just purchased my 1989 C30 MKII and was wondering if someone could point me to some threads or links which discuss the systems and operation common to this boat?

Would appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Thanks...
Ron:
Saw this older post, and that you were able to obtain a manual. Did you find an electronic version?

I just purchased the same year / model as you boat. Found a post with a scanned manual - that's great. Wonder what version you found. Saw also a manual can be purchased from Catalina Direct.

Appreciate the help.

Regards,

Mike