New owner help

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Last month my 8 year old grand son went through a sailing course.
1st thing they did was have the kids capsize the boats and learn how to right them.
It usually took two skinny 8 year olds to get one back up but a solid 12 year old can manage fine AFTER he has been taught to do it.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Agree with all those who are saying GET LESSONS, find an experienced person to go with you.

I learned on a Laser when in junior high. Boat belonged to my uncle. We were sailing on a lake and going around the lake in a circle. At one end we would turn and be fine at the other we would tip the boat over. That's when some guy in another boat sailed by and yelled TURN IN TO THE WIND. It was at that moment we learned the difference between a tack and a jibe. DUH!

After that we found someone to teach us a few things.

Everyone is right on the capsize issue. On small boats like that it's expected and part of the fun. You need to lean to right the boat. Make sure the dagger board stays in place, release the main sheet and put weight on the board to being boat up. And be prepared in May just roll all the way over the other way. That too is part of the learning experience.

One suggestion for you to try until you get it figured out. Tie a couple of empty 1 gallon jugs (caps on) to the top of the mast. Will look like heck but it will provide flotation to the top of the mast to prevent it from going under and reduce the ability of the boat to turtle. I owned a Butterfly once that had foam blocks sewn in to top of the sail to provide buoyancy. My high school freshman daughter could take it out alone and tip it and right it herself and that flotation helped. She and I would go out when she was learning and deliberately dump it over and over so she could learn how to right it alone. And it was a blast on a hot day.

As for girlfriend. I hope you both ALWAYS wear life vests. Even on quiet day. If they are uncomfortable go by better ones but wearing them is a must. And get in the water and experience / learn how to float and maneuver in those too. It will enhance your enjoyment and could save your lives. We've long since moved up to a 38 foot 20,000 pound boat and we still wear flotation. We now have automatic inflatables but we still wear them.

Good luck have fun. As the others have said - right now it's not the boat - it you. But you can be fixed LOL. And try the milk jugs

Aug 31, 2013
Hunter 26 Saylorville-Des Moines
When you say it takes time..about how long are we talking? 2-3 min or less?
In my experience with boats that size, 10-15 seconds for that sail to rotate under water or dump that water that's on top.... or possibly never if, as some posters mentioned, your main sheet is cleated or hanging up on something. You need to ensure lines are clear before trying to right it. That helps you right it and also recover and sail once you're back in the boat. That boat should be a lot of fun. Have fun!

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
In my experience with boats that size, 10-15 seconds for that sail to rotate under water or dump that water that's on top.... or possibly never if, as some posters mentioned, your main sheet is cleated or hanging up on something. You need to ensure lines are clear before trying to right it. That helps you right it and also recover and sail once you're back in the boat. That boat should be a lot of fun. Have fun!
I have a small rope attached to the dagger board now. It may not stay put, but at least I won't have to worry about losing it.

Ok that timing is good to know. We never got the boat to move at all in that time frame.

We did a test run last night in calm waters with little wind. Boat did fine upwind and down..the only thing I noticed of concern was when I was first going upwind, the boat was sliding sideways . Pretty sure it did the same thing last weekend when I had to walk in.

Anyway GF was on board and we stayed dry. About to try again near the beach..

Thanks...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
the only thing I noticed of concern was when I was first going upwind, the boat was sliding sideways . Pretty sure it did the same thing last weekend when I had to walk in.
Be careful that you don't have the main over trimmed. If it is it will stall and pull the boat sideways rather than forward. I grew up sailing keel boats, and the first time I was on a dinghy I was surprised by how suddenly the boat would shift from forward to sideways if the main was in too far on a close reach. Made me realize how much more you can learn about sail trim on something so responsive.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
See, you now are onto the second stage of sailing, making it preform in light winds, congrats!
I suspect you are over trimmed, the boat is heeling too much for the conditions and the dagger board can't resist the sails lateral force. in light winds the ability to point simply goes away because of that darn apparent wind direction coming forward as the boat picks up speed. if the wind speed is 5 knots from abeam and the boat is going 5 knots through the water the apparent wind is at 45 degrees from the bow not 90 like you might suspect, go faster and it moves forward even more (<45 degrees from the bow). so the faster you go the worse your pointing ability.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
See, you now are onto the second stage of sailing, making it preform in light winds, congrats!
I suspect you are over trimmed, the boat is heeling too much for the conditions and the dagger board can't resist the sails lateral force. in light winds the ability to point simply goes away because of that darn apparent wind direction coming forward as the boat picks up speed. if the wind speed is 5 knots from abeam and the boat is going 5 knots through the water the apparent wind is at 45 degrees from the bow not 90 like you might suspect, go faster and it moves forward even more (<45 degrees from the bow). so the faster you go the worse your pointing ability.
I am getting better, though I had another incident today. My GF thinks I shouldn't sail on Saturdays :)

I have been experimenting by trying different angles and that seems to be helping.

Went to a resort area where the gulf meets a bay. It is an inlet. Winds were moderate going to light. Had no problem going to an island offshore..I had to zig zag but I figured out the angles that worked. No issues coming back, then I had the idea to explore around some more. Still no issues till I got too close to a huge bridge and got caught by the out going tide/current. Bridge blocking some of the wind so I ended up caught between pylons with the mask stuck in the overhead. The current was so strong I was literally horizontal in the water. I pulled myself up to the mask and about to drop the line so I could lower the sail and get free but then several boats showed up and pulled me out. All the crunching I was hearing, I was sure the gelcoat was toast but no..it's fine..guess metal rub rail did it's job (have to check the mask in the morning though). They told me they see this a lot and it's safe as long as I stay away from that bridge and sail more toward the island in the bay. Another guy told me a safe place that he kayaks more inland and I may just try that area next time. I saw other sail boats in the area, but they were larger and may have had outboards. Also saw a HUGE commercial cat that looked like it was giving tours to tourists. I like the area, but will keep looking for safer places.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Dude, if you watched the rigging video I posted the other day, and spent 1 hour with someone who knew what they were doing.... you would avoid all these self created, disasters.... and not have to rely on the kindness of others because you like to just "learn by doing"

The video clearly tells you how to secure the dagger board with a piece of elastic cord,...which allows you to raise and lower it depending on your point of sail. The reason the boat is sliding sideways is because the dagger board is not in the down position. That's what it's there for... along with the rudder... to keep the boat from side slipping.

All of these hijinks could have been avoided... you'd be having fun and not looking unprepared.. if you'd just spent a little time to take a class, read a book, or watch a video.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
That 'zig-zagging' you're doing is called tacking.

Keep trying dude. Stay away from hard things. There is no such thing as luck, that is another superstition like witchcraft or something. Try it again on Saturday to defy such things in your mind.

You're getting it. Don't give up!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
You know I'm starting to think this is all a put on and we responders are being played for entertainment as this poster sounds like he's making up stories of incompetence.
Zig zag??????
Running into a bridge?
Come on, anyone with an ounce of common sense would at least look for protected waters to experimenting, have some idea that zig zagging is called tacking. I'm just not buying it anymore.

If you really are a serious novice go get some damn lesions before you hurt yourself of worse someone else, especially those people who are trying to rescue you.
And if your playing games go find another hobby.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
You know I'm starting to think this is all a put on and we responders are being played for entertainment as this poster sounds like he's making up stories of incompetence.
Zig zag??????
Running into a bridge?
Come on, anyone with an ounce of common sense would at least look for protected waters to experimenting, have some idea that zig zagging is called tacking. I'm just not buying it anymore.

If you really are a serious novice go get some damn lesions before you hurt yourself of worse someone else, especially those people who are trying to rescue you.
And if your playing games go find another hobby.
Sorry I am real. You have to start somewhere and sorry if I don't know the lingo. Take a look at the pic, does this look like rough water to you? It's not, except for the very center of the bridge where the current was strong (can't see the center from this angle). I was further away than the boat in the center of the pic when it sucked me in. Away from the bridge to the right where the unseen islands are located it was very calm other than some boat traffic.

Attachments

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
That 'zig-zagging' you're doing is called tacking.

Keep trying dude. Stay away from hard things. There is no such thing as luck, that is another superstition like witchcraft or something. Try it again on Saturday to defy such things in your mind.

You're getting it. Don't give up!
Thanks.getting easier now. Bad luck or whatever you call it, just makes me try harder....

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Sunfish, It doesn't matter which day of the week you are sailing. If you are sailing in coastal bays, you gotta check the tidal range and time, especially if you are sailing on a boat without a motor. Please do yourself a favor and get some lessons. I see that you are hailing from coastal Alabama. You should contact Lanier Sailing in Pensacola. Their sailing school is top notch and affordable. I know all of the instructors personally. They have been teaching for about 20 years and not only know how to sail, they know how to teach. Hate to see you put yourself and others in danger. Believe me, I started out just as you did, a total disaster wainting for a place to happen. Finally went to sailing school and it drastically altered the learning curve for the better.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Sorry I am real. You have to start somewhere and sorry if I don't know the lingo. Take a look at the pic, does this look like rough water to you? It's not, except for the very center of the bridge where the current was strong (can't see the center from this angle). I was further away than the boat in the center of the pic when it sucked me in. Away from the bridge to the right where the unseen islands are located it was very calm other than some boat traffic.

Seriously then get someone to teach you before you hurt yourself or one of those poor rescuers. Independence and determination are admirable until they start putting others in danger.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
Sunfish, It doesn't matter which day of the week you are sailing. If you are sailing in coastal bays, you gotta check the tidal range and time, especially if you are sailing on a boat without a motor. Please do yourself a favor and get some lessons. I see that you are hailing from coastal Alabama. You should contact Lanier Sailing in Pensacola. Their sailing school is top notch and affordable. I know all of the instructors personally. They have been teaching for about 20 years and not only know how to sail, they know how to teach. Hate to see you put yourself and others in danger. Believe me, I started out just as you did, a total disaster wainting for a place to happen. Finally went to sailing school and it drastically altered the learning curve for the better.
Any idea of the cost?

Thanks...

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
You will get the hang of it. I have capsized many a boat in my years of sailing. Sunfish and Lazers are easy to re-right. Took a Hobie 16 out with a friend in some big swell when I was a teenager. The winds were kicking, and we were having a blast wave jumping the boat. Hit a landing wrong, and pitch poled the boat about a mile offshore. An upside down catamaran is much harder to turn back over even for two teenagers, LOL, still a great day of sailing.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
You will get the hang of it. I have capsized many a boat in my years of sailing. Sunfish and Lazers are easy to re-right. Took a Hobie 16 out with a friend in some big swell when I was a teenager. The winds were kicking, and we were having a blast wave jumping the boat. Hit a landing wrong, and pitch poled the boat about a mile offshore. An upside down catamaran is much harder to turn back over even for two teenagers, LOL, still a great day of sailing.
I just need a safer place to sail until I get better at it. The river I was at Fri evening is such a place but it's hard to launch there.

My aunt had one of those Hobie's and it was a nice boat, but a little bit too big for me (tiny car, tiny storage ).

How did you get it turned back over? I bet that was a pain.

But I have found a slighter larger boat I am going to check out tomorrow or thursday. The sunfish is all I need, but GF needs a little more room. It's still too small for rough weather, but still a small upgrade for our needs.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
I just need a safer place to sail until I get better at it. The river I was at Fri evening is such a place but it's hard to launch there.

My aunt had one of those Hobie's and it was a nice boat, but a little bit too big for me (tiny car, tiny storage ).

How did you get it turned back over? I bet that was a pain.

But I have found a slighter larger boat I am going to check out tomorrow or thursday. The sunfish is all I need, but GF needs a little more room. It's still too small for rough weather, but still a small upgrade for our needs.
The technique of sailing a board style dingy like the Sunfish includes never cleating the mainsheet. You learn to work the tiller and sheet together to keep the boat flat. If you're sailing along with the wind on your starboard beam (90 deg from the right side) you would sit on the windward side, with the tiller in left hand and the sheet in the other. You would therefore have your back to the wind, feet are hooked under the "hiking" straps "foot straps in cockpit" so you can lean out (Hiking out) with the goal to keep the boat perfectly flat. You would have the dagger board in the down position to keep the boat from side slipping. When a gust hits ... the apparent wind direction (wind direction that's affected by the boat's speed) will move aft a bit... this will cause the boat to heel (lean) over because the wind is now pushing sideways rather than flowing evenly over the sail. So.....There are three things you can do to keep the boat flat.... 1, hike outboard to counteract the force on the mainsail. 2. Ease the sheet out to adjust for the change in apparent wind direction. 3. Turn the boat towards the wind (head up) to maintain the same apparent wind direction.

All of this movement becomes a fluid action... tiller and sheet acting in concert with your hiking activity to keep the boat flat and moving in the desired direction.

Cleating the mainsheet might be a choice when sailing down wind..... but on a sensitive, lightweight, flat bottomed dingy... sailing across or upwind requires being able to feel the pressure on the sail.... and that is best felt through the mainsheet.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Joe i like the way you articulate your sailing instructions and information good job

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Joe i like the way you articulate your sailing instructions and information good job
Thanks.... I hope it was simple enough for our new guy to grasp. Bless his heart. I couldn't find any inexpensive sailing programs in Mobile Bay for our friend.... so perhaps others will take him under their wing... maybe someone lives in the area that could give him some hands on pointers.