New owner help

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
I recently bought a small sailboat (Sunfish) and it about did me in on Saturday.

I got about a mile offshore and knew I needed to turn back. Rolled it when I turned around. I could not upright it and had 2 other boats come by and it took 2 other guys along with myself to get it upright (we tried with 2 and it was not enough). What do you do when the sail is full of water? If I had not had help come by, I would have had to ditch the sail it was so heavy.

I also had trouble getting back to shore due to cross wind. Boat kept wanting to drift downwind. A storm was coming so I when I got about 1/4 from shore I jumped overboard and pulled the boat behind me to get back home.

My girlfriend was watching from shore. She had tried to get in earlier but it rolled on her. Because of all this, she is now scared of the boat. I am thinking of getting something more stable with a larger cockpit. AMF had a boat called Puffer that looks like it may be more stable , has a much larger cockpit, plus it can use a small kicker in case the boat gets uncooperative when a storm approaches :)

Has anyone had a boat like this and if so, would you say it is more stable than a Sunfish (for 2 people).

Thank you...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I recently bought a small sailboat (Sunfish) and it about did me in on Saturday.

I got about a mile offshore and knew I needed to turn back. Rolled it when I turned around. I could not upright it and had 2 other boats come by and it took 2 other guys along with myself to get it upright (we tried with 2 and it was not enough). What do you do when the sail is full of water? If I had not had help come by, I would have had to ditch the sail it was so heavy.

I also had trouble getting back to shore due to cross wind. Boat kept wanting to drift downwind. A storm was coming so I when I got about 1/4 from shore I jumped overboard and pulled the boat behind me to get back home.

My girlfriend was watching from shore. She had tried to get in earlier but it rolled on her. Because of all this, she is now scared of the boat. I am thinking of getting something more stable with a larger cockpit. AMF had a boat called Puffer that looks like it may be more stable , has a much larger cockpit, plus it can use a small kicker in case the boat gets uncooperative when a storm approaches :)

Has anyone had a boat like this and if so, would you say it is more stable than a Sunfish (for 2 people).

Thank you...
It isn't the boat...... you need to take some sailing lessons. And... you need to learn to recover the boat from a capsize.... basic knowledge for any dinghy sailor. If you want get the water out of the sail.... release the mainsheet (that's the line that controls the sail).... to keep the boat from sliding sideways... extend the center board. To recover the boat from a capsize.... release the mainsheet, point the boat into the wind, climb on the extended centerboard for leverage. Watch your head when the boat comes upright.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Please don't take this the wrong way; however, it sounds like you might need some sailing lessons. If you haven't taken " on the water lessons" now is the time. If you have had formal training, perhaps you should link up with someone who can teach you about the specifics of your boat. Had a similar experience many many years ago with my first boat, a Macgregor 15 ' catamaran. Never could get the thing to tack. I had to walk it back in also.
Had an experienced sailor try it out and the only way he could change directions was to jibe it; I didn't even know what a jibe was. Obviously it was an important lesson. I knew at that point in time that it was a bit more complex than I thought and decided that sailing lessons were in order!! Forty years later and I am still learning!

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
It isn't the boat...... you need to take some sailing lessons. And... you need to learn to recover the boat from a capsize.... basic knowledge for any dinghy sailor. If you want get the water out of the sail.... release the mainsheet (that's the line that controls the sail).... to keep the boat from sliding sideways... extend the center board. To recover the boat from a capsize.... release the mainsheet, point the boat into the wind, climb on the extended centerboard for leverage. Watch your head when the boat comes upright.
I guess what I am saying..is what do you do if the boat is still too heavy to right it? It took 3 guys to right it. The center board would not stay in place and kept trying to float off so I put it in the cockpit.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
Please don't take this the wrong way; however, it sounds like you might need some sailing lessons. If you haven't taken " on the water lessons" now is the time. If you have had formal training, perhaps you should link up with someone who can teach you about the specifics of your boat. Had a similar experience many many years ago with my first boat, a Macgregor 15 ' catamaran. Never could get the thing to tack. I had to walk it back in also.
Had an experienced sailor try it out and the only way he could change directions was to jibe it; I didn't even know what a jibe was. Obviously it was an important lesson. I knew at that point in time that it was a bit more complex than I thought and decided that sailing lessons were in order!! Forty years later and I am still learning!
I sailed my sister's fish years ago and did ok, better than her at least, but yes lessons would be nice. But all my friends have powerboats so I am kinda on my own to figure it out or die trying :)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Here is a link that should help you. Don't give up too quickly on the Sunfish. When mastered it will be a lot of fun and the skills will transfer up. Getting a bigger, more stable (supposidly) boat won't be easier to sail. In fact it may be harder without the basic skills you develop on a small boat. Stay closer to shore until you are sure you can drive it upwind and down both tscking and gybing. Most of all...have fun while improving.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...D0GeQfPnKUimrqhTMDYDE5Q&bvm=bv.73231344,d.cGU

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I guess what I am saying..is what do you do if the boat is still too heavy to right it? It took 3 guys to right it. The center board would not stay in place and kept trying to float off so I put it in the cockpit.
I'll say this again.... it's not the boat. You're not rigged correctly... you're sailing with the mainsheet cleated...the centerboard needs to be secured with a bungee cord. You need to practice righting the boat..... Take some lessons... google "how to sail a sunfish"
There's scads of stuff on youtube.

Basic Rigging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AwrTrg-kN8

Racing set up and tips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdghqTKdZ2o

Capsize recovery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwokzjlcjvk

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Yeah, without that centerboard in, I'm surprised it came back up at all. There is a small stretchy strap, ( bungee, whatever), that will hold the board down. It NEEDS to be down to stand on for the equilibrium. Once you release the sheet, and stand on that board, it may slowly start back up, (except as Joe said, at the top it will pop back up quickly), but as you stand on it, it WILL right itself. I've done this countless times on a little Sunnyfish. I love these boats, please don't give up on it yet, there is a heckuva lot of fun to be had out of a Sunfish. Super cool little boats.

Don't start looking for bigger boats just yet. Small boats teach you how to sail, big boats just seem to mask some of these discrepancies. Wanna make the skipper of his big ol' sailing yacht stop what he is doing and watch? Sail past him on a Sunfish. They will be taking pictures of YOU. At least I do. Sail on man.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
1+.

easier to learn on a small boat, where problems are instant.

you need to watch some youtube videos on rigging and righting a sunfish.

or take some lessons at your local sailing club.

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
I have a sunfish, and once had a puffer. The puffer was not a stable boat, and it held a lot more water when swamped. stick with the sunfish and follow the advise of the other posters re: rigging and technique.

Oct 26, 2012
morgan 384 Tarpon springs
I was a sailing instructor for the Red Cross for 15 years innSt pete fla.
Just practice and or get some lessons . Practice turning it over and righting it in shallow water. Build on your experience and the confidence will come. Yes it will be slow . Years ago when sailing a Laser i turned it over in heavy wind and found myself standing on the centerboard not getting my feet wet ! i reversed the process and was so proud..!!!
Read, watch videos, take lessons, and practice , practice.. Lee

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In comparison to my first sail with my Bandit, yours went pretty well! At least you didn't get the mast head stuck in the mud.
I agree with the advice you've received. Particularly about learning how to right the boat and staying near shore until you learn to work it upwind. Good sunfish sailors can sail them in some very adverse conditions. The last time I sailed one I could hardly stay on it - so, I'm not one. I need more to cling to.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Welcome aboard, congrats you sailed once and already want a bigger boat!!!!
the sunfish is fairly high performance so don't beat yourself up, IMHO you did about average and now you are seeking help so you are on your way.
consider what would happen if you tried to drive a grand prix race car the first time with no instruction or practice?
the recommended procedure is to release the main sheet, secure the dagger board so it will not come out and is fully inserted into the slot, swim to the bottom side of the boat and get up on the dagger board, wait till the boat starts to right itself and then, with the agility of a cat avoiding water, RAPIDLY go over the gunnel and into the cockpit as the boat finishes righting itself. sounds simple but it is most certainly like riding a bike for the first time so don't give up,
you flopped on your first time out, kinda to be expected.
again, welcome aboard

Feb 25, 2014
Catalina 30 Grand Lake. Wyandotte, Ok.
Welcome to the site and congrats on getting into sailing. If you notice the main theme in all the replies you will achieve what you want.

1. Congrats on the boat and trying to sail it in probably strong winds and making it back to shore. We have all been there but listen when we say it gets better.

2. Sunfish are not that hard to right, sail, a good beginner boat and are a lot of fun.

3. And most important. Learn and advance.

It would do wonders to search the net for videos on learning to sail. They will help. Better is to find someone who can teach you to sail in a dingy. That's a small sailboat that needs proper technique to sail in strong winds. Learn in you Sunfish or another small boat. Do not learn on a larger boat and then try and sail yours in high wind. Not the same at all. 2-4 hours with someone and you will have it figured out. It will take longer to master.

Last is stay with it. We here are all sailors and want to see others enjoy the sport. We understand how it is to sail for the first time and most all of us could tell a story about how things went wrong while learning. Good luck and have fun.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
Yeah, without that centerboard in, I'm surprised it came back up at all. There is a small stretchy strap, ( bungee, whatever), that will hold the board down. It NEEDS to be down to stand on for the equilibrium. Once you release the sheet, and stand on that board, it may slowly start back up, (except as Joe said, at the top it will pop back up quickly), but as you stand on it, it WILL right itself. I've done this countless times on a little Sunnyfish. I love these boats, please don't give up on it yet, there is a heckuva lot of fun to be had out of a Sunfish. Super cool little boats.

Don't start looking for bigger boats just yet. Small boats teach you how to sail, big boats just seem to mask some of these discrepancies. Wanna make the skipper of his big ol' sailing yacht stop what he is doing and watch? Sail past him on a Sunfish. They will be taking pictures of YOU. At least I do. Sail on man.
I am going to have to mount a screw or something on the daggerboard, as of right now there is no where to mount a strap. It is pretty thin, just hope it can handle the weight.

I am not giving up on the sunfish, if only because I spend almost 2 months fixing it up with more to go.

The only thing I am concerned about (for myself) is not being able to right it again and getting stuck off shore just drifting away. I was lucky that other boaters came over to help when they did.

The main reason I am looking for a more stable , bigger boat is for my gf. She is not a very fast moving person (she has epilepsy) and can't swim (yet). By the time I was heading back in I learned to shift my weight very quickly and that saved me from overturning yet again. It almost went over but I saved it. Pretty sure we would have gone over if she had been onboard. She is not going to be happy having to stay on shore every time and so I need to address that.

A co-worker has been offering me another boat that she says is a little bigger and holds more people than a SF. Her son has one with trailer for $300. I kept asking her the name and the other day she told me she think's it called a Capri. I looked it up on another site and it is larger,probably more than I want. But I saw people complaining that it will sink so not sure I want something more dangerous :) So that is why the puffer looked like it might be the right size for us.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
I had a puffer. I had it upside down at least once - after sailing it for years. I got it back upright as described above and sailed it back to the landing full of water. I liked the puffer since it had a jib, rowed very nicely and putted right along with a small outboard.
I sold it after realizing I could not move around quickly enough to sail it anymore.
Any small boat requires agility and the willingness to get wet. I started off sailing with a homebuilt 8 ft dinghy so thought the puffer was a huge step up.
Always wear a lifejacket.

Oct 26, 2012
morgan 384 Tarpon springs
Please get your Girl friend to the YWCA and get her swimming lessons. It could save her life !
The first day in sail school every one jumps off the dock treads water for 5 min and is thrown a life jacket .Those who fail can not take the course.. Lee Nicholas Red cross instructor..

Aug 18, 2014
Oday 222 Sebago Lake
Unless you are extremely light you should be able to pull the centerboard down or stand on it and the Sunfish should come right up. In rough winds do not cleat the sheet as this can spill you rather quickly. You will get the hang of it with some more calm outings. She is very easy to sail and is a lot of fun.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
It sounds soooo fun! Why the hell did I buy a camper boat?

I just Have to sail a laser someday...