new owner classic plastic Pearson Triton

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
that Is funny Charlie! Must get some great tender loving care tho! I have run into your vids on youtube, nice stuff/boat.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Thanks- needs some help right now- a broken shroud during Hurricane Harvey let the mast fall.. Thankfully the ONLY damage was a snapped VHF antenna.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
temps are warming, soon to travel north to visit Panama Jane. Have a list of to-do's going. ! is to mount an outboard bracket in case the A4 is shot I still have propulsion. Transom is angled more than the usual 7 degrees, anyone know what the transom angle is? thanks from pics it appears closer to 45 deg than 30?

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The Pearson Triton is a great boat and one of the luminaries of the sailing world as it was one of the original fiberglass sailboats made on a production level by Everette Pearson (who just died in the last couple of years). Sailing before that, mostly on wooden boats, was a rich man's sport and Everette engaged Carl Alberg to design a boat for family use that was off shore capable. It was affordable to most and it was featured in the New York Boat Show in I think 1969. It was such a hit that they got a lot of orders and then had to figure out how to produce the boat to fill all the orders. Everette Pearson became one of the pioneers of fiberglass lamination, not only in the marine industry, but also other diversified products mostly out of his TPI plant in Rhode Island. Interesting man and story and I have met him and his son, Mark who also worked along side his dad, but no longer is with TPI. Getting back to some of your questions......chain plates. Are the chain plates in the boat now original? If so, then that is how the boat was designed. But to upgrade them to a thicker material, you just duplicate the existing chainplates with thicker material. Any machine shop should be able to do that for you, but they have to use stainless for material. If the standing rigging is very old and strands are splitting then for sure the compromised stays should be replaced. A knowlegable rigger can inspect the rig and offer up opinions. It's no big deal to make up new standing rigging. All it takes is money and a source who makes up such things which can be easily found in the marine sailing industry. As mentioned, the Atomic 4 is a relatively easy motor to work on. And the reference to Moyer Marine is a good one. They are the experts. Most of the time, when someone comes to me and says they cannot get their A4 started, it is a point problem. Change the points and condensor, gap the points to a matchbook cover and bang the thing starts. People usually start messing around with the fuel system, which often isn't the case unless water got in the tank and then the first thing to look at is the rubber o-ring on the deck fill where you fill the fuel. If that deteriorates, it can let rain water into the tank. Or, if the gas is bad or old, that can be problematic.
You can also get CD ignitions and electric fuel pump conversion kits if not already fitted with them.
My point is to trouble shoot and not just assume the worst. You'll end up spending money you don't need to if you don't methodically approach your projects. Good luck and enjoy your boat. Stay safe.

Oct 26, 2014
Pearson Triton Edgewood Yacht Club
When I had new chain plates made for my Triton I found that the mounting holes were not all the same. I marked the each one then took all six to a machine shop to have them made from polished stainless.