new owner classic plastic Pearson Triton

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
Hi all, just purchased a 1959 ALberg designed Pearson Triton #16 hull. Got an incredible deal, super in fact. It looks via pics to be in decent shape and has professed deck delamination in foredeck. It has a running 2 years ago Universal Atomic 4 engine, a new in box 6HP Tohatsu sailmaster outboard extra long shaft. I live in central Florida and boat is in Virginia. Its been on the hard for several years.
question: I would like to leave on the hard for winter, then sail about the area for several weeks vacation this summer. Should I mess with the Atomic 4 and see if I can start it and go with that? Should I pull the A4 and do the thru transom mount used on Atom's boat, or possibly do both for safeguard? Or sell the outboard for money to rebuild the A4?
Owner stated that the standing rigging is suspect as it has galvanized chain on the forestay and rope in other ( I think backstays-split) on the ends that attach to the boat. He also says the chain plates are 1/8" and need to be 1/4" and should be replaced.? Also that the mast is original and probably needs replaced due to age? Does anyone know what size the chain plates need to be? If the stays terminated with chain is a no-no or standard practice long ago? Or Is the seller just a bit paranoid? Money for me is hard to come by and I need not spend if avoidable.
The boat is in Virginia on the hard in a marina and reported storage is around $150 month? Is that a good price for a 28 foot boat? Recommend a cheaper place nearby? Its at Chesapeake Boat works.
Best time of the year to sail her south to Florida west coast?
This is intended to be my retirement home in 2 years. Live aboard, sail around wherever I want boat. I know it is small for intended purpose but I wanted small for ease of handling, low cost maintenance, and parts, and cheaper storage/dockage fees for limited fixed budget.
Any comments welcome except boat bashers and nay Sayers please. I plan to drive up and have a look this weekend and will have more questions and a better idea of condition. It was an ebay auction boat. Any advise on Pearson Triton 28 welcome

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I don't know about the boat but if the atomic 4 was running two years ago why would you need to rebuild it?
That is if it was running, and was winterized.
The A4 is a easy motor to work on and if you need advice Ken at Moyer Marine is a great help.
I rebuilt mine and can offer advice also if needed.
Good luck with your project.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
Triton was designed after wooden folk boats as the internet tells it? Also, it was one of the first ones, and is in the hall of fame? Something like?

Jul 24, 2006
Hey Sailnoproblem, thanks that was my idea in the first place. Inboard with power 25-30hp is better than put put in the stern. I hear good and bad about the A4? Just trying to get a consensus. The previous owner said he just used it to get out from the dock and back so not a big help. No hint of reliability or condition. Or just bought into the refit bug from online Atom Voyages maybe? so I got 1 vote for the A4 thanks!

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The A4 is a good engine if it works. The presence of a replacement engine makes that questionable.

I don’t know the original equipment on the Triton, but 1/8” stainless could work on the chain plates.

I can’t imagine why the mast would need replacing. The overbuilt aluminum masts of that time are unlikely to corrode, wear out, or suffer from cyclic stress.

Galv chain and rope sounds like rigging patches to me. Get some good pictures so you can consult with a rigger in the Chesapeake, or back home.

Combined with a delaminated foredeck, I foresee some project work before she is ready to sail south on the intercoastal. Check with yard to see if they are OK with you doing the work there. I’d recommend leaving it on the hard while you develop your project plan through the winter, and procure materials. Then you can return when it is warm enough for fiberglass and other work, accomplish you plan, and get underway.

Good luck on your get-acquainted trip!

Accounts of the intercoastal describe motoring the whole trip, so sail condition is not a big issue.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
LOL well, my 1961 Rhodes designed Meridian 25 qualifies, as do many of the Pearson and Alberg designs from the 60's.

Oh, and on the site I listed, there is a contributor called AtomVoyager. He has sailed around the world twice in a Triton (once single hand and once with his wife Mei-I've met them both- nice folks) and contributes a good deal on the subject- a GREAT source of info

Quick edit- His name is James Baldwin

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Quick edit- His name is James Baldwin
I loved his books. If you've read them, there is a lot of useful info for your tasks. The rigging sounds suspect with the piecemeal alterations. I would not hesitate to look for a comprehensive solution for all of the standing rigging. Any missed weak link compromises the entire rig. Make it more robust than it is now or even what is standard. Compromising leads to regret.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I wouldn't rebuild or replace anything until I got my hands and eyes on it and figured out just what the issues are. It will take some time, but I try to not fix things that aren't broken. Any new to you boat will have some work to do. That's normal. Preventative maintenance - always, but I hate to waste money replacing things that are perfectly suitable.

Ken

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
You should bring the boat to Brunswick, GA and hire James Baldwin to do a refit on it. This is what he does professionally and specializes in the Triton. I have seen several examples of his work at my marina (where he is based) and they are amazing. One just left recently to sail around the world.

Jul 24, 2006
thanks for all the advice! I am definitely aware of and have read and viewed Mr Baldwin's work. His solo circumnavigation was many moons ago! Hehe, he is probably my age or a little older I am 60. He has done quite a bit to his and others that get touted all over the net. I would like to stay true to the original design as much as possible. Especially where weight is concerned. He added bowsprit, removed main internal engine and cut a slot in the aft overhang for an outboard engine, made integral tanks for water, and water tight bulkheads and cabinets for safety. He has beefed up the knees for the chain plates, and beefed up the chain plates, and so much more! Some are great, some good, some I think is overkill? Or not to my needs. The boat is 60 years old and I am sure could use some upgrades, BUT- (see that's a big but) -the boat is 60 years old! If it has lasted or "worked" for 60 years it must have been at least OK!!! I have had a boat that needed tons of work given to me and know that scenario, overwhelming! Finally gave up. Now I will fix the important things and sail my ass off on it. I will fix leaks and dry the interior, so it stays afloat. Work on the Universal A4 as the primary secondary propulsion-James Baldwins outboard 6hp doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Also, he removed the >#300 lbs of fixed ballast. Granted he added batteries in the same location but 6hp cant do what 25-30hp can do! Oh, I didn't mention that the boat comes with a brand new 6HP Tohatsu extra long shaft still in the box and a set of plans for the Baldwin mount! The PO definitely was into Mr Baldwins ideas. So much so I think he gave up on the thing?
Dave in Sandusky, thank you for your sage knowledge, (and confirming what I was hoping)
I wouldn't rebuild or replace anything until I got my hands and eyes on it and figured out just what the issues are. It will take some time, but I try to not fix things that aren't broken. Any new to you boat will have some work to do. That's normal. Preventative maintenance - always, but I hate to waste money replacing things that are perfectly suitable.

Ken
that is the best knowledge I have received in all my boating years! THanks Ken. I think it easy to get caught up in the upgrade/refit/recondition idea that its easy to get overwhelmed or loose interest. When I asked why he thinks the mast needs replacing the PO said well, its original. What about the A4 " oh, I only used it to motor away from the dock and back to the dock so I don't know." Bought into internet idealism that something needs to be done?
It also comes with and adjustable outboard bracket-brand new! So I will mount that for insurance policy for the A4. Probably new running rigging needs tho? The sails are my biggest concern. Older main, jib, and some downwind sails? The boat was originally made as a yawl or ketch with rear mizzen mast. The previous owner did away with it-darn- I think I would have liked it? Jib and jigger is desirable? Wonder if he replaced the main mast with the 2 or 3ft taller mast from the sloop design? probably not?
Alas, I won't be going there this Saturday. Cost too much in gas driving my high top conversion van for only one day as I have to be back to work 0700 Monday and 13 hours each way. Yard rent is 150$ month, so not bad, and no extra fee to work on it yourself! I will register and title it in Virginia where she sits for now as that is where she will be for the time being. I will gladly take suggestions for another economical yard for same or less money that is closer along the Atlantic coast on the hard or wet slip. I hear Charlston, Brunswick, N Florida, etc. I would like to poke around the Virginia coast and bay a bit too but eventually need to bring it south to west central Florida gulf coast.

Jul 24, 2006
just some of the pics from the add that I downloaded. I hope they are not from a long time ago? lol