New Owner 28.5

Feb 25, 2021
Hunter 28.5 Lake Lanier
Just purchased 1985 28.5 and i’m not familiar with sailboats and diesels, so i have a lot of questions but i’ll start with this one:

under galley sink there is plug that i have no idea what is goes to - additionally, there is a 4” hole in same cabinet that has been covered with a piece of sheet metal (former vent?).

Thanks in advance!

365F2E2C-85A1-407D-8731-F859532892F4.jpeg

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
M Maron, welcome to SBO. You will find lots of folks who gladly share their knowledge on issues with boats.

As to your question, it looks like a 115v "extension" cord. So, is it wired into the 115 electrical panel and if so, is it hot?
Next question, is there a 115 water heater on board? Is there a battery charger or inverter mounted somewhere? Do you see evidence of some holes where some kind of 'box' might have been mounted. The possibilities are almost endless.

It is not uncommon for older appliances of the sort to be installed, then died and later removed by a previous owner as junk or to be moved to a different boat.

Since your experience with boats is minimal, I suggest you buy Nigel Calder's book listed here:

It will give you a point of reference for other reading.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021
Hunter 28.5 Lake Lanier
Thank you for your response - coincidentally, i have Calder’s book lying on my ottoman that i just received today.
I’m not on the boat right now and i left the manual there, but i thought i had, perhaps, a schematic showing some sort of battery bank located in that cabinet?
Hot water heater is in lazarette. I have not looked thouraghly at AC DC panel, nor traced wires. Although, there is a water heater switch on control panel at nav station. No indication as to anything mounted either

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome M Marin to SBO.
Congrats on the sailboat and joining the club of sailors. It is a fun experience.

Your post suggests you are getting baptized in being a new to you boat owner.

The plug you inquire about looks to me as a previous owner modification. It appears to be a 115V AC cord extension as suggested by @ggrizzard. When I got my new to me boat I followed an old as time new skipper tradition. Get a strong flashlight, new batteries, and open and look into every space and void on the boat. Have a camera and take pictures as you were searching for treasure. You may find some.

You should find where and what is attached to the other end of the cord.

I would advise, when you do, that you replace the extension cord with true Marine wire and properly connect the electric motor to your AC panel.

The extension cord is an electrical problem waiting to happen.

Good luck with your treasure hunt may you discover your boat and other valuables.

Feb 25, 2021
Hunter 28.5 Lake Lanier
Excellent suggestions - i noticed the outlets and water heater run on AC but lights on DC only. Is this common? I did discover a pleasant surprise yesterday when i noticed she didn’t reverse very well. Apparently she has a folding prop! She is set-up for speed and has many upgrades!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I remember the discovery days...
So much fun.
Some are boat owners who jump on a boat and want to buy new equipment and change everything they see into something else.

I am from the old school. Get on board. Test and explore every thing that is there. Sit back with a cup of coffee or beer and just look, soak up, the boat. Why is did the former owner put the clock there? Why is this line running that way?

Some of the stuff will be wrong. Some of the stuff will be discovered truly helpful. If you jump in and change everything you may discover you tossed something that was important just the way it is.

Perhaps it is just the difference between the hobby guy who seeks to put old cars back together and the guy who sees a modern hotrod in an old car body. Both seek their own vision.

I suggest : Take a few weeks to discover the boat. Then build a list. Prioritize the safety items before the "I want one of those" items on the boat.

Above all have fun.