New outboard advice

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
We have a hunter 26 with a Honda 9.9 Power thrust, 4stroke with the power tilt an charging option. Just to heavy at 125lbs+ to leave on the transom. We love the power tilt feature, both as a safety feature an a convenience, no leaning over etc. BUT we hav both recently retired And would like to take the boat to visit other lakes. I have reached the age where the Honda is just to much weight to carry from the truck and lift up an mount on the transom and I think to much weight to leave on the transom when towing long distance.
So we are in the market for a new outboand. We hav a Tohatsu 2stroke 6hp for our dinghy, light an efficient an always a pleasure to start. I know I hav read about a Tohatsu being used on other 26/260s but not sure as to the HP etc. What would you recommend or what would you do different? Thanks Chris n Debz

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Consider an electric outboard like a Torqeedo (Cruise 2.0 T for dinghys and sailboats up to 3 tons) at 41 lbs is less than 1/2 the weight of a gasoline outboard, is waterproof if you drop it into the lake AND you do not have to carry gasoline. That is what I have on my dinghy.

Cruise motors - Outboards with 5 to 20 HP - Torqeedo

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
This isn't exactly applicable, but it might help as a reference point. I have an 8 HP Tohatsu two-stroke on my Mac 26S, and it is plenty of power for that boat. I only ever have the throttle all the way open just to "exercise" the engine. There's never any operational need to go above even half throttle. I'm very happy with the Tohatsu, but my wife's not a fan. She can't pull hard enough to reliably start it.

The Hunter 260 owner's manual recommends 8 to 10 HP.

What makes you think the Honda is too heavy to leave on for towing?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Thx Sail sfbay I defiantly will look into that. Seems like it might be perfect. @Tedd at 125lbs I am concerned about the weight on the transom eg cracking etc

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Don't get your hopes up on that 2 Stroke. If you click on United States for your location, that motor isn't listed. Click on Australia and you'll find it but the news release was from 2016.
Haven't new 2 strokes been banned by the EPA?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
@Tedd at 125lbs I am concerned about the weight on the transom eg cracking etc
Right, I got that, I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason why you think 125 pounds is too much.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Right, I got that, I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason why you think 125 pounds is too much.
a 6 hp tohatsu with extra long shaft at about 60 lbs
will easily push a 26 to hull speed

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Do you have a reason to think it is too much to leave on the transom? Owner problems? If not, just leave it mounted.

Frankly, 6hp is more than you need on the dinghy and not enough for the 26' boat.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I would have to think if it is ok under sail tilted up it would be ok on a trailer tilted up and with a support/towing bracket installed

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Are you sailing in places that have currents (rivers or connected to the ocean (tides)? If just lake sailing you don't need much. I once brought my 30 foot Hunter (11-foot beam and 10,000 lbs) home on my 2hp Honda. We got about 3 knots until a strong headwind kicked up. The same motor would push our old MacGregor 26D over 5 mph. I suspect a lower horsepower (4HP?) might suit your needs. It may also be easier to manually tilt and start, avoiding the need for electric start and tilt. IT may also reduce the amount of fuel you need to carry.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
I would have to think if it is ok under sail tilted up it would be ok on a trailer tilted up and with a support/towing bracket installed
My Hunter 26 factory manual specifically says not to tow tilted, due to increased leverage on the mount.

Of course, that assumes the outboard won’t hit the street in dips in the down position.

I haven’t had trouble with clearance in the down position when towing with my long shaft Honda 9.9.

Dec 28, 2015
My Hunter 26 factory manual specifically says not to tow tilted, due to increased leverage on the mount.

Of course, that assumes the outboard won’t hit the street in dips in the down position.

I haven’t had trouble with clearance in the down position when towing with my long shaft Honda 9.9.
So you leave it down also while sailing?

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
Here is why I am concerned about traveling long distances with the 125# Honda OB. Even if i tied the OB up I am still concerned about the bouncing an stress it would place on the motor mount
Could reinforced he motor mount if concerned. Mine has a 4-stroke 9.9 Johnson. Not sure what it weights but I've trailered the boat a few thousand miles with the motor attached at the mount (not reinforced). I do like to slow down for big bumps though :)

Dec 28, 2015
Seems like if you could fit a outboard brace on it while tilted it would eliminate any additional stressors brought on when on the trailer.