New Oceanis 45 - additional equipment to be chosen

Opty

Nov 25, 2015
Beneteau 46 Gdynia
Hi all,
I just signed sell of my Oceanis 46 and want to buy new Oceanis 45.
List of ''extras'' is not too long but I wonder if somebody has any experience with following items:
-Arch is it worth of buying? Has anybody mounted solar system on factory arch?
-Blue hull for tropics . Have you has blue bull in topics for 3-5 years? What is the condition of hull ? Is chalked after these years? Is is significant warmer?
-Watermaker - Have you ordered the factory or after sale one

As do not want to start a new topic all suggestions and opinions about 45 are welcome.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Re blue hulls.
First, the are beautiful. Ok I'm biased.
Second, check your boat, but I think Beneteau does not use any colored gelcoat, but uses Imron paint. The painted flag blue on Kestrel (10 years old) is still gorgeous.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The longevity of topside paint is directly proportional to the level of proper care it is given.

Our last two boats were both painted with Awlgrip and maintenance wasn't onerous but was done according to the paint manufacturer's recommendations. Doing so will ensure it lasts as long as any vanilla gelcoat top sides. Probably longer.

Can't comment either way on the effect of dark topside has on temperature. If it does have any effect, we've never noticed anything perceptible here in Florida where it's been know toget 'warm'.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Re blue hulls.
First, the are beautiful. Ok I'm biased.
Second, check your boat, but I think Beneteau does not use any colored gelcoat, but uses Imron paint. The painted flag blue on Kestrel (10 years old) is still gorgeous.
Not sure about the blue hulls, but the gray on the newer Oceanis hulls is gelcoat.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have a factory flag blue B411 LE hull that was done in gelcoat. I have seen many dark painted hulls where the laminate fabric weave "prints" through the surface - ugly. Special construction is required to prevent this. Any gelcoat oxidation shows but a light buff and wax each spring returns the hull to a deep mirror finish. That would not likely be the drill if you had painted hull.

Any contrasting hull color makes for an attractive boat, the contrast breaks up the monolithic shape of a boat. My boat is noticably warmer in the Cheasapeake summer, you can feel the heat radiating through the hull. If I were doing it new I would pick a light gray contrasting hull with white cabin top. Same effect, less solar heat absorption.

The challenge for all the new Beneteau cockpits are the large beam. That complicates getting canvas over the helm at a reasonable cost. If an arch helps with canvas and PV panels then consider that.

A water maker should be used regularly. If you don't then you are just buying yourself more maintenance and winterizing tasks.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you want anything other than a white hull, I'd get it Awlgriped -- the gel coat is going to be a problem with any hull color in only a few years. Even a light grey or blue hull get's chalky. We have head two boats over almost 30 years with Flag Blue Awlgrip. We're happy with it, but we're in the Mid-Atlantic (US) - New England area.

As Gunni points out, a watermaker is an issue from the time you commission it to maintain. If you are in an area where you really use it because of availability or cost of water -- then it might be worth it. I've had one for 19 years in the Chesapeake and up to Maine/New England each year. It wouldn't recommend it because it's more convenient to just fill-up from domestic sources along the way or at home.

If you are going offshore often or to the Caribbean, for example, that's a different story.

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
When we got our boat white or gray were the only gel coat colors available. All other colors were painted.
We do like the gray with black trim on our boat.

Opty

Nov 25, 2015
Beneteau 46 Gdynia
There are pro and cons blue hull. As I want to use it in tropic +/- 35 S/N, when I read the opinions they are mostly against blue hull. Due to heat absorption, visible scotches etc. I must ask Beneteau if hull is painted or gel coat is colored.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The one thing I wanted that most French production boats don't have is a rub rail. Without a good, properly placed rub rail whatever your hull looks like will be quickly marred by encounters with docks, and piles. Didn't like what my dealer was selling so I found a skilled shipwright who knew how to add a rub rail that enhances the look and value of the boat.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Where do you keep the Boat? Port Annapolis or Jabins or Mears or?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I am down in south county for the winter having work done.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is that Solomons or Harrington Harbor or West River ?

:^)))

Jun 7, 2004
Beneteau Oceania 45 Charleston
Got the 45 a few months ago. We decided to add the arch. Got ours from Kate marine. More costly but really excellent arch and much stronger than factory install.

Opty

Nov 25, 2015
Beneteau 46 Gdynia
Why not the factory one?
Is it too weak?
Is Kate's arch better? How is mounted? Can you upload some pictures?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
KATO marine.

Keevers, you should send that glamour shot to Keith at KATO. He will post it on his website.

Oct 13, 2014
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Chesapeake Harbour Marina, Annapolis, MD
Arch is from Kato marine out of Annapolis
The Arch looks beautiful. I also have an Oceanis 45 and am shopping for an Arch. I'm up in Annapolis and walking distance from Kato. Do you know yet what you are mounting on it?

Apr 25, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Lake Champlain
Thinking of buying a 2013 Bene 45. Coming from a Sabre 36. Wondering what your thoughts are as to the sailing characteristics. Would you buy a production boat if you had to do it all over again???

Rich

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Our Oceanis 35.1 has the factory arch and we like it. The handholds on it make going forward easier and the dodger hung from it gives excellent forward vision. The boat also has the light grey hull which we think looks great with the black sheer lines.

Can’t comment on the water maker as we fill the water tank regularly.