New Main Sail?

Aug 9, 2019
Hunter H26 Hayden Island
Where have you guys purchased new main sails? Are the ones from here made by Doyle upgraded any since 1997?

I am leaning towards loose footed. There are a lot of options...some obviously personal preference...number of reef points, cunningham, etc.. But what about the options for number of full battens? The full battens can get caught up in the shrouds at times.

I am a cruiser primarily but am near a good racing venue and have raced in the past.

Or, anyone have a decent used one to sell? My bolt rope is so shrunk that it stops 4' from the top.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Everyone will have their favorite sail loft and they should be consulted on options that will best suite your sailing conditions AND budget. Some like to take their own measurements and buy on-line and others like to buy from a local loft that will come to your boat to measure. In the past I have always purchased blue water finish crosscut dacron sails from my local UK Halsey representative but recently purchased offshore tri-radial cruising laminate sails from a different local loft.

Two reef points give maximizes flexibility to reduce sail area to match the wind conditions and crew's comfort full battens help to hold sail shape. Besides the options you mentioned you might consider sailcloth material and weight and features like blue water finish, offshore upgrades with additional rows of triple step stitching, 2 rows stitching on tapes, HydraNet Luff Tape, Leather clew cover, seams sewn triple throw stitching, stainless steel rings or Rutgerson press rings at head, tack, clew and reefs, high modulus leech and foot cords with cleats and purchase systems as necessary, telltales, draft stripes and drawstring sail bag to name a few.

My 2 cents on used sails there are a number of lofts that sell them (just do an internet search on used sails), you can save a lot of money, albeit they risk being somewhat stretched, which will not allow you to flatten it for a more comfortable sail. If you want to save money, have a local loft inspect your sail for remaining life and make any repairs, unless it has so little life in it because it is so blown out that you really need a new one.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I got a new main from Bacon Sails out of Annapolis ... no complaints. Yes on the loose foot option.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I got mine from Schurr Sails in Florida. Dacron. They seem great. Good fit. I prefer a loose footed main as it provides better shape and it's more adjustable via the outhaul. Also, good price.

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
We purchased a new main from HK, now out of business. We got a "Flat head" and loose foot.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Where have you guys purchased new main sails? Are the ones from here made by Doyle upgraded any since 1997?

I am leaning towards loose footed. There are a lot of options...some obviously personal preference...number of reef points, cunningham, etc.. But what about the options for number of full battens? The full battens can get caught up in the shrouds at times.

I am a cruiser primarily but am near a good racing venue and have raced in the past.

Or, anyone have a decent used one to sell? My bolt rope is so shrunk that it stops 4' from the top.
The Doyle sails SBO sell here are better than the OEM sails from 1997. The original sail that came with your boat was "OEM" grade, which means fairly inexpensively made, with an entry level dacron from 1997. The dacron is a middle grade, neither the top not the lowerest.

The cost of the sailcloth used is the biggest factor in the price of sails. The grade used on SBO is a middle grade, which is a really good value for the average recreational sailor. I personally know the designer who does all of Doyle's Hunter sails and he does a fabulous job on the shape and features.

Doyle can build any quality of sail from entry level to top of the line. They can build a much higher grade sails than "OEM" grade for the replacement market - you should consider them. Your salesman can help you choose the right and features for your particular needs and budget. If you want a high end sail from Doyle, you can certainly order it.

I recommend loose footed, for sure. There are no benefits to a footed sail, other than catching rainwater. Loose footed allows better draft control of the bottom section of the sail and simplifies rigging up the mainsail reefing.

As for the pros and cons of 4 full battens vs 2full/2partial or 1/3, that's a longer topic, and I need to go to work right now. There are pluses and minuses to both.

Any well-established sailmaker with a good reputation can build you high quality sails. The most important part, IMO, is talking to someone who can help you navigate all the choices based on your skills, wants, location and, importantly, your budget. I always recommend that boat owners buy the best (lowest stretch) their budget will allow, with durability a close second. Sails that hold their shape for a long time make a huge difference in pointing, low heeling, later reefing, and having balanced helm.

(PS. The internet is your friend when it comes to avoiding the few bad lofts our there)

Judy B
Semi-retired sailmaker
cc @Dave Groshong

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I had a thread going a year ago about getting a new main sail (thank you Judy B for your advice). Last October I ordered a new main sail from Quantum Sails (my local vendor) with 2 full battens, 2 partial battens, loose foot AND a Sail Pack which the Admiral really wants.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I had a thread going a year ago about getting a new main sail (thank you Judy B for your advice). Last October I ordered a new main sail from Quantum Sails (my local vendor) with 2 full battens, 2 partial battens, loose foot AND a Sail Pack which the Admiral really wants.
Probably a "stupid" question, but how do you do a sail pack with a loose footed sail? Anyone have any pictures of this configuration (loose foot and sail pack) with the sail stowed in the pack and with the sail raised and sailing?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I recommend loose footed, for sure. There are no benefits to a footed sail, other than catching rainwater. Loose footed allows better draft control of the bottom section of the sail and simplifies rigging up the mainsail reefing.
:plus: I'll second that. Since I got my loose foot sail, I find that I use my outhaul A LOT, when controlling sail shape. You an crank down on the outhaul and flatten that sail right up when pointing into a stiff breeze or slack it and fatten the belley A LOT when the wind is aft of the beam. And the best part is you can really see what is happening.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Probably a "stupid" question, but how do you do a sail pack with a loose footed sail?
Not stupid! The tack and the clew of the sail are attached to the boom, as is the sail pack. I couldn't find a good photo of my setup, but here's a shot of the forward portion of the sail pack.
IMG_1806.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
So, does the sail pack foot "float" with the foot of the sail and is it attached to the foot or is it attached to the boom?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
No, not attached to the foot of the sail. The sail pack has two or three cars or slides that go into the track on the boom.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
No, not attached to the foot of the sail. The sail pack has two or three cars or slides that go into the track on the boom.
Seems that would restrict the movement of the foot of the sail away from the boom when the outhaul is loose and the sail attempts to move away from the foot? :huh:

Aug 9, 2019
Hunter H26 Hayden Island
Seems that would restrict the movement of the foot of the sail away from the boom when the outhaul is loose and the sail attempts to move away from the foot? :huh:
That was my thought. I see no way for the sail pack to not effect wind getting to the foot of the sail. But I LOVE the ideA

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
There is enough play in the sail pack so that is not an issue. If it were, I could loosen the lazy jack lines and drop the pack so it's level with the boom. There is a fiberglass rod that runs the length of the sail pack.