New Flag

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I recently read a book on the War of 1812 called "Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron". Pretty interesting. The US Navy acquitted itself very well against the Royal Navy even though for most of the war they were badly outnumbered; for most of the war after the first few engagements, Royal Navy ships were prohibited from engaging in one-on-one engagements as they came out on the short end. As far as the land campaign the US blundered our way to victory by exhausting the British in the North with a few victories at the end. The significance of New Orleans was that the British were angling for lines of control to be based upon who controlled what at the completion of hostilities. With Andrew Jackson holding onto New Orleans that cemented our hold up on the Mississippi River all the way up to Canada.
Another interesting book is "To Rule the Waves: How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World". In both of these books they mentioned privateers and how nations, including the US, used them to supplement their navies and cause havoc with the opposing nations. It should also be noted that through the 19th century it was pretty common for captains and crews to get a share of the prize money and that many captain's and crews were motivated by money. As far as true pirates go it seems to me that Kidd and Blackbeard as well were victims of being inconvenient. When Blackbeard was killed he was on his way to retire based upon an offer from Governor Spotswood of Virginia when he was double crossed. Same goes for Kidd who was surprised to be labeled a pirate and turned himself in to defend his name. History is not always so cut and dried.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah but it's interesting. We are mostly taught history through assumptions and slogans from the side that won. The reality is a lot more nuanced than that. In fact it is probably impossible accurately re-create the experience of history and the best we can do is take an unflinching look at the events and try to understand why they happened. Oh and I have a science education. I hated history. Now I'm fascinated by it.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Wow, 85 posts and we’re still discussing flag etiquette and history. I just wanna know where and when will we see these? How about it SBO store?
Available Now. Just ordered mine!

Available Now. Just ordered mine.

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
I really like the one in blow me aways pic. Are they not available? The one in the link above looks different.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I have the old one and like it. This new one looks good, too! I think I'll buy it! (I wanted burgundy in the colors of the old one and didn't get my wish … sigh … perhaps in the next iteration). If I remember correctly, wasn't the swoosh incorporated in the old flag because it was used on the web page at that time? What happened to the swoosh? :confused:

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... If I remember correctly, wasn't the swoosh incorporated in the old flag because it was used on the web page at that time? What happened to the swoosh? :confused:
Nike claimed the swoosh was copyrighted infringement ? LOL

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The older one has a lot of style to it. The new one gets the website out there. Maybe add the URL to the old one in a smaller font?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Marketing guys, marketing...
We are the field operation of SBO marketing. Nothing good or bad about that. We also serve as research. If boat owners like something or dislike something it pops up in the forums. All good feedback to SBO.
Our reward... we get a forum to talk sailing. Some we like some we don't and some we just lurk in the the background with a thought we are anonymous... That is until we "log in". All good stuff.
There could be a lot worse ways to spend a winter.