New England in late October - early November

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Hi All,

Due to various circumstances the wife and I are flying into Boston on October 24 and renting a car to drive around for 8 days before going to a function in Henniker, NH on October 2.

We live in Los Angeles and have never been anywhere near New England before. I know it's not the best time of year ( probably too late for fall colors) but that's the time frame we have. We will probably head up the coast towards Acadia National Park but have no particular itinerary or destination. We have maps, guide books and such but were wondering if any of you who live in or are familiar with the New England area have any inside tips on personal favorite or off the beaten track places to visit.

Posting this in the sails call forum because I'm not really looking for sailing venues, just general info.

Thanks for any input!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
In my opinion:

As you head north, you're not going to see many sail boats in the water. Acadia Island will be a nice place to visit, it's will be beautiful, and very uncrowded -- but almost nothing will be open. Camden, may be your best bet -- or Belfast in terms of places that are still open.

Rockland and Rockport (just south of Camden) are also probably places you might stop.

Portsmouth, NH has a lot of places (not much boating going on this late in the season). Newcastle (Wentworth By the Sea) with it's Wentworth Marina may still have a little of activity.

You're at least a month late for boating up in Northern New England.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It might be worth the trip to drive out to Gloucester for an afternoon. And if you're into American history at all Lexington/Concord including Walden Pond are worthwhile. You may not want to go so far West but the Northampton area offers a lot of cultural goodies. A lot of colleges and a university there with their attractions. Not that Boston its self is lacking in cultural attractions. If you want to "Get" New England I think it's good to take some Hudson River School of painting exhibits. There is extraordinary beauty in the Green and White Mountains at almost any time of year. And woods. The forests are worth some hiking - maybe guided. And rivers. New England grew up along its rivers. That's where the mills were because that was the power. It's where people settled as a consequence. Manchester NH is an awesome sight from that prospective. Enough? I've got more.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Late for the north but Southern New England is in full fall colors at the end of October. IMO go west along MA and southern NH and you’ll see lots of color still. So much to do so little time. I’d recommend Stockbridge and Boston is a great town. Sign up for a walking tour of Boston’s history.
+1 @shemandr

Edit: correction to end of October

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Maine and “other New England” are like two different countries, both worth experiencing. Arcadia National Park on Mount Desert, ME, is a long drive, but Rte 1 along the coast is breathtaking.
In Massachusetts, visit the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge (and stay at the Inn there) then hit the Clark Art Instutute in Williamstown, if only to see Sargent's Ambergris.
Pack your woolies!

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Thanks for the replies! All good info.
Walking tour of Boston sounds like a good bet to get some local flavor.

Driving from Logan airport to Bar Harbor looks like about 6 hours or so along the coast so from a Los Angeles perspective that split up over two days doesn't sound too bad.

Good to hear that the colors may still be going if we stay south so that is still an option.

We're thinking that if we get to Acadia we will come back via highway 112 so will get through the White mountains in NH..

Keep the coming if you have more.

Thanks again,

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
For coastal Maine, SG has it right. Along the coast, once you get downeast of say Belfast, you'll find much is closed for the season. So travel with this off season in mind. You'll have the place (and the roads) to yourselves. While you can still enjoy the coastal sights, head inland (not far) to some of the more vibrant towns like Ellsworth for good restaurants and interesting local attractions.

Beware the long necks, like Boothbay, that can lure down for a look. You'll find most of these are seasonal and that season is over, after you burn a couple hours going off the highway and back.

Acadia this time of the year is breathtaking and you don't deal with the crowds or traffic (anywhere, now) so consider yourselves lucky! Be prepared clothing wise this time of the year, you could see wild swings in temperature during the day. Mind the wind direction and speed: even on land it defines our weather. Skip or give Bar Harbor a quick glance, it will be mostly closed for the season. You'll find more going on in Southwest Harbor although that too will be quiet. The hiking around Northeast Harbor (Thuya Gardens+++), will be breathtaking this time of year.

The color in the mid coast area where I live, is still good and could hold out for another week or so. Things are quieter (it's always quieter in Rockport than Camden), but we're a year round area with few seasonal only, businesses. This was taken this week on Rockport Harbor.
Rockport Harbor Fall 2018.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If you're driving from Mount Desert Island to Henniker and want to see the Whites, take route 2 across. You'll cross the NH state line in Gorham at the North end of the Presidential range. N. Conway, to the South, is quaint yet touristy. It is a big hiking, climbing and mountaineering center. There's Horse Feathers where you can enjoy their Harvey sandwich. You'll pass the Mount Washington Auto Road, you can drive to the top of NE's tallest mountain. Or take the Cog Railway to the top. If you're a railroad buff. To get there, drive west on 302 through Crawford Notch. Stay at the Mount Washington Hotel for the most grandeur NH has to offer. Or take the Kancamagus into Linclon. It's a beautiful drive but it misses going through the notches. 302 takes you through Bethlehem. You should stop at Rek'Lis for a beer and a good meal or continue into Littleton, where I live, and get a beer at Stillings. I recommend the Dr Overt. It's a Belgian style triple. The Erastus is excellent also. Chutters, on Main St., has the World's longest candy counter. Pancakes at the littleton dinner with local maple syrup is the best. I think they were top rated by the food network or something.
I'd like to meet and show you around, but I'll be celebrating Dia de los Muertos in Oaxaca.
Anyhow. Head South on US 93 through Franconia Notch. Of you have time, there's the tram to the top of Cannon Mountain with a bar on top.
Lincoln is another mountain recreation center where the Kanc ends and Loon Mountain offers another ride to the top. You should check their Website for scheduled events. They often have stuff going on and host New England's Highland Games somewhere around this time. Another good brew pub there is One Love. And just one exit before is the Woodstock Inn Brewery. There may be a wait at the door, but for those who don't mind such things, it's very good.
You'll pass Plymouth where I went to university. There is the Common Man restaurant. Good food and gift shop with local crafty things. There's another one in Concord, the state capital and the junction for route 89 to Henniker.
If you are interested in hiking: Cadillac Mountain is a good one, in Acadia, though I recommend Jordan Pond to the Bubbles with a popover at the Jordan Pond House.
Just out of N. Conway, is the town of Inverness where Hurricane road takes you to the Black Mountain hike. It is very short (about an hour, depending on gawktime), but you start high so the view is excellent of the Presidencials.
Other great hikes are mount Willard and the sugar loafs.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
If you're driving from Mount Desert Island to Henniker and want to see the Whites, take route 2 across. You'll cross the NH state line in Gorham at the North end of the Presidential range. N. Conway, to the South, is quaint yet touristy. It is a big hiking, climbing and mountaineering center. There's Horse Feathers where you can enjoy their Harvey sandwich. You'll pass the Mount Washington Auto Road, you can drive to the top of NE's tallest mountain. Or take the Cog Railway to the top. If you're a railroad buff. To get there, drive west on 302 through Crawford Notch. Stay at the Mount Washington Hotel for the most grandeur NH has to offer. Or take the Kancamagus into Linclon. It's a beautiful drive but it misses going through the notches. 302 takes you through Bethlehem. You should stop at Rek'Lis for a beer and a good meal or continue into Littleton, where I live, and get a beer at Stillings. I recommend the Dr Overt. It's a Belgian style triple. The Erastus is excellent also. Chutters, on Main St., has the World's longest candy counter. Pancakes at the littleton dinner with local maple syrup is the best. I think they were top rated by the food network or something.
I'd like to meet and show you around, but I'll be celebrating Dia de los Muertos in Oaxaca.
Anyhow. Head South on US 93 through Franconia Notch. Of you have time, there's the tram to the top of Cannon Mountain with a bar on top.
Lincoln is another mountain recreation center where the Kanc ends and Loon Mountain offers another ride to the top. You should check their Website for scheduled events. They often have stuff going on and host New England's Highland Games somewhere around this time. Another good brew pub there is One Love. And just one exit before is the Woodstock Inn Brewery. There may be a wait at the door, but for those who don't mind such things, it's very good.
You'll pass Plymouth where I went to university. There is the Common Man restaurant. Good food and gift shop with local crafty things. There's another one in Concord, the state capital and the junction for route 89 to Henniker.
If you are interested in hiking: Cadillac Mountain is a good one, in Acadia, though I recommend Jordan Pond to the Bubbles with a popover at the Jordan Pond House.
Just out of N. Conway, is the town of Inverness where Hurricane road takes you to the Black Mountain hike. It is very short (about an hour, depending on gawktime), but you start high so the view is excellent of the Presidencials.
Other great hikes are mount Willard and the sugar loafs.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Thanks for the details! How did you know beer was one of my hobbies?!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How did you know beer was one of my hobbies?!
You'll be in NH. The fastest growing microbrew economy in the country. It should be one of your hobbies. Seriously, Shillings is worth the trip. I live exactly 2.6 miles away. There's a reason I know this. :beer:

If there's anything I can do to help, I left out far more than I included. Just ask.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Maybe Will should create and publish a beer tour of NH. There's a long winter coming for the North East and we may be able to use the diversion. :beer::beer::beer:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The Wyeth Museum is excellent and Andrew is one of the most talented artists to ever live, although, N.C. is more my style.
We once sailed up to where the farm used in Christina's World is. You can still see the old house.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Hop the ferry boat from Boston out to Provincetown on the tip of cape cod. Go to Newport RI and visit the mansions. Go to Pt. Judith and take a ferry to Block Island, rent a bike and drive around. Go to Woods Hole and take ferries to Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The fall foliage is past peak, but there are still pockets of vibrant colors. From Henniker try a trip north on I-93 to Bethlehem. The head east on US 302. You can ride 302 into Portland and grab US Rt 1 north. Good stops: Freeport ( LL Bean), Bath the ship builder of the country, Wiscasset, Rockland, Camden.. Enjoy

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Leaves are green here. Somewhere between here and NH it is peak. BTW as I understand it "Peak" means that 50% of the trees are still green. I won't argue with a Yankee about that. But there is a lot of color after most of the trees aren't green.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
It’s all about history and scenery. Since previous posts MAY (just read shemandr’s post) have indicated the optimum fall color is past for this trip, that would be very unfortunate. If not, with the cool, almost cold, fall blue sky and the fall color, it’s a photographer’s dream to die for. (Take along some extra memory cards) Hopefully there is some left-over fall scenery to whet the whistle for next time.

Life is short and since there won’t be much time there, I’d recommend finding out some guided tours to take in as much of the history part as possible. If it were me, “Old Ironsides” would be high on the list. Check out Wikipedia’s article “USS Constitution” and a follow-on one “USS Constitution vs HMS Guerriere”.

As I recall from decades ago, the church where Paul Revere held his lamp was in an area that wasn’t the most suitable for walking due to roads and traffic so a guided tour there would be helpful. With the cooler/colder temperatures guided tours would be more comfortable.

The picture that TomY had in his post is how I remember the fall sky in New England, and with the tree colors, everything looked so good.

Anyhow, Ironsides and the North Church would be two items on my “points of interest” list. To put one back in time, the book “The Pirate Coast” by Richard Zacks is a good read.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Thanks everybody for all the tips. We had a great trip. Sun, rain, fog, snow and still a lot of great foliage color. Couldn't get everywhere in the time we had but saw a lot. You certainly live in a beautiful area! I envy you all of the sailing destinations you have compared to here in Southern California . We'll have to get back again for a more extensive stay.

Thanks again!

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I believe your drive should include a stop in Newport, Rhode Island and Mystic...be sure and tour the downtown harbor and walk some slips....also take a drive along Newport's coastline and take in some of the
mansions......some are open to the public....the old mansion built by the founders of Brown University is now the New York Y.C. ...I was lucky enough to live in Bonniecrest out on the Ocean Drive..26 acres of grounds and built by Stuart Duncan of Duncan and Hines fame.....I had two apartments there...one in the basement very near the hound cages and one on the 3rd floor looking out over the ocean....caught my first and only
Flounder fishing on the cliffs in the Atlantic on the Bonniecrest grounds (26 acres)....Jackie Kennedy grew up in the estate just east of Bonniecrest....Hammersmith Farm....She and John K. were married in Newport and the John is buried on the property....Trinity Church....downtown....I will not bore you but you should go to Newport........and Mystic.......but Newport for sure.....Patrick in Wichita