New Canvas - color suggestions

Jan 25, 2013
tartan 3700 northport NY
When we got our new bimini, the new dodger was not ready so we set up the old dodger with the new bimini, both in Seagrass Green. The colors were virtually identical! But don't let that influence you to choose Seagrass, I like the fact that it is still not that common, easier to spot in a crowded mooring!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I will likely replace my bimini this fall. Present one that is Sunbrellas toast/tweed is about nine years old. I can't say that I notice a discernible temperature difference with the lighter color vs captain navy that I had on a previous boat. One thing for sure is that the lighter colors tend to show more mildew stains than the darker colors. I am leaning to replacement with captain navy again. To those of you who have had new covers made recently, did you have the canvas maker use Tenora type thread or the usual polyester thread?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
On the Gulf Coast? If you use polyester thread you will be taking your canvas back to the shop for stitching repairs several times before your sunbrella is shot. Anything you saved by not using Tenara will be offset by the hassle and expense. And then there are those restitching holes.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I've used the new Sunbrella two color fabric its Navy on the outside and Beige underneath,what it does is make it a lot lighter in the cockpit,
I love your two colors, great idea.
We have Navy, have since 2006 and it looks good still. No deterioration at all, a tiny bit of fade maybe.
Friends boat used one of the tweeds and the main cover deteriorated along the entire top in 10 years. it also ripped at the stress points so I would steer clear of the tweeds. I am always impressed by the big boats wearing tan or gray, just looks more classy to me than green.

Sep 11, 2015
Beneteau 43 Sense San Francisco Bay
Still learning the site. Did not realize the reply button existed. You are very fortunate not to have faded. It goes sort of mint greenish. Ours is in sun every day on San Francisco Bay. I will go for the dark gray sort of charcoal that is on our helm seats, which have never been removed and look perfect. Maybe your Sunbrella is a different formula in some way.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
There was an earlier run of Cadet Grey Sunbrella that faded to a greenish tint, Sunbrella reformulated and it was replaced. Perhaps your canvas man used old stock. I haven't seen that happen in the last 10 years.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It used to be the red, orange, yellows really faded, but I think they overcame that at the factory. I have the brighter Seagrass Green bimini/dodger, also. There aren't too many like that. Most Bennys have the Hunter green- or is it Forest? My bimini has lasted 10 years, but it's problems are more the stitching than the fabric itself. It has been on the boat year-round since the solar panels bolt through it. I have it here in the condo right now so I can restitch it during the heat wave going on.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
We had some tan sunbrella covers for on-deck stuff, mildew stains showed up pretty quick.

I like the stamoid suggestion. Very durable. I wont be using sunbrella again; either hard top or stamoid

Sep 11, 2015
Beneteau 43 Sense San Francisco Bay
Aha! That is verrry interesting. I think I will pursue that with Sunbrella. Thank you So much!

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Vancouver
I had Green from previous 2001 owner, still ok its Sunbrella.
BUT Green only if you like birds and byproducts..........gonna change to silver if I can afford it.
I hate birds now!
Guan

Bryan9

Apr 28, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sarah Creek, Gloucester, VA
Went with the old standby, Forest Green... just looks so nice on a Beneteau... not an exact match to the stock sail bag, but close
IMG_0277.jpg

Sep 21, 2014
Beneteau 400 White lake
We also put the cadet gray on our OC 400. We had the piping done in green to match the cove stripe. The second boat using this color. It has held up well.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Oyster is our color.

Light colors tend to disintegrate sooner - a fact I learned from a few different dodger makers.
Hmm, I was always told it was the other way around, as dark colors absorb heat, where light colors would reflect it. Maybe it has to do with prigment shielding of ultraviolet.
For a color, I was thinking of beige, as it goes with any wood colors you have on the boat.