New boater Hunter 27

Sep 4, 2016
Hunter 27 Cherubini NJ Beaton Boat
Hello all,

My name is William and I am new to this site but have found it helpful thus far. Wondering if any one may have input on certain areas I need to check and work on with a Hunter 27 I may own soon.

I recently came into negotiations for a Hunter 27 which was made in 77, I think. It has a 1GM Yanmar (seized and needs to be overhauled). The hull and deck look good but could use a coating of bottom paint and some gelcoat. Rigging and sails were stored indoors and kept up.

This is going to be the first boat I have ever owned. My father recently left his work due to a surgery and has mentioned he always wanted to go up the Hudson. Thought this would be a perfect opportunity to try that out; and get him to help out with the boat. I have looked over the boat a few times and it has a list of things needing repair. but for $300 she gets a new lease on life and I can have an experience I always wanted. She needs a rudder repair, electrical stuff here and there. inside was CLEAN, left for a long time with no care I was surprised at how clean it was. No mold or leaks from rain accept by the cock pit hatch. My dad used to work on Marine vessels, but the big commercial stuff, My experience sailing was a 1 year class I took in high school were we pretty much had our hands-on with little Chrysler built open tops of 13' or so. any input into how a shoal draft H27 of this vintage handles, deck and rigging upgrades, just about any notes you guys can offer would be appreciated. Even linking me to another existing forum would be appreciated. This is going to be an adventure in craftsmanship and upkeep as much as sailing so don't be afraid to go into in-depth and complicated repairs/ maintenance issues that this vessel might be in need of. I will be picking up the title for her soonish, I hope. So looking forward to the slurry of work before getting her wet.

Happy sailing,

William

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
William
Welcome to the finest forum on the internet.
I need to preface this with I have never sailed a Hunter 27. Many (most I think) boats seem to have similar problems and similar procedures for correcting them. I'd begin my making a list of things needed to just make her seaworthy (safe and reliable) Then make a list of cosmetic things. Concentrate on safety and reliability first. You didn't mention if it was in the water or not, but on the hard is easier for many (but not all) tasks.

If you are handy (or want to get handy) this is a great way to go. Sometimes a project like this can really help one's outlook on life. Don't be afraid to tackle most any project, but don't proceed if it doesn't look right. This is a great forum and you will find many cases where you can learn by other people's mistakes.

When it comes to getting help photos are a huge help. In fact, posted pictures are nice anyway. Don't be afraid to go to the main forum (Ask all sailors.)

Ken

dougr

Apr 24, 2014
Hunter 27 Detroit
Welcome to forum.

I been a member here for several years and I have found this forum to be the most helpful. As you can see from my bio I have similar Hunter. My Hunter 27 (78) is still mostly original including the Yanmar SB8 diesel. At one point in time I thought I wanted something better, bigger but over the years this boat has become part of the family. I have heard them referred to as Pocket Cruisers

Since I sail Lake St Clair, Lake Huron, and Lake Erie my sailing requirements maybe different from yours. For me my concerns are that she mostly an all original boat that the PO took very good care of. She maybe ok for day sailing Lake Saint Clair, but I have concerns about being caught in inclement weather on the other two lakes.

Her rudder has been damaged and repaired but shows stress cracks. The mast step shows stress cracks but no decompression. The Yanmar SB8 is original. This includes the stuffing box hose, fuel sludge, old fuel lines and a dozen other things that can ruin a day.

I can tell you stories how her toilet sank her at the marina, or how we lost standing rigging due to not paying attention to a pre departurechecklist, or my favorite having to learn how to be a dieselmechanic so I could fix a 40yr old SB8 because I broke it while cleaning it.

In conclusion she a great boat, and its a great sport, but its one that can be dangerous. I am constantly reading, learning from others here. I have learned over years that only the owner knows how to sail. So if something goes wrong we are the only ones that can provide an answer.

Good Luck

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
If you got a survey, that is a good start for projects. When you find an issue, let us know, with pictures if possible, and we will help you with details.

We have a shoal draft '77 h27. It's a great cruising boat for 1 to 4 people. It's very seaworthy, and handles well on all points of sail. The only sailing issue is that with the shoal keel, you can't point any closer than 60 degrees to the true wind.

An experienced h27 skipper in your neighborhood would be a huge help in showing you how to check out and step the mast, and then assemble the rig, and identify what is missing.

It's great that the boat seems dry. The key maintenance issue for the hull, cabin, and interior is water getting to the wood and rotting it. If there are no instances of that (the mast step, lifeline stanchions, and ports are the first places to check), then you can focus on other systems.

Contrary to dougr's concerns, we have cruised around 8,000 miles mostly on Lake Erie, but also Lakes St. Clair and Huron over the past 17 summers. So we have experienced a wide range of, weather, conditions, and maneuvers. We have never felt the least doubt in Lady Lillie. Well maintained, these boats are among the safest you can cruise in, IMHO.

Welcome, and good luck!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2016
Hey thanks guys,

Yes she is on the hard at the moment. Three main safety issues off the bat; 1)Engine (obvious overhaul but my dad used to work on diesels so this is a toy to what he is used to). 2)Rudder. Needs repair but already got a quote on that so might have the boat yard do it for their price, I can't do it cheaper. 3)Needs some electrical for the running lights and basic navigation (I.E new compass). that is the main stuff for the safety, again really clean and sound hull, interior, and deck. Even the cushins and plush things inside are clean and dry. just have to pump out the bit of rain water in the bilge. found online schematics, think there is a manual bilge pump somewhere toward the stern of this boat? Oh and she has the ports-potty, any thoughts on those? Seems like it might be a mixed bag with the weekend people vs. the cruising school of thought.

Thanks again guys, and I will certainly post pictures when i start on her. Like some of you have said getting hands on work should prepare for better sailing and if need be on the cuff repairs when underway. I am hoping this boat to be my gate way drug into cruise sailing.

Happy Labor Day,

William

Sep 4, 2016
So here is a thought maybe some of you can help with, Compasses.

Going to replace the bulk head mounted one in the cockpit. Would like to use something that is easy to read and can light up for night use. My dad is going to be sailing with me, and possibly single handling her, so... From the 50+ age sailors and seasoned captains who wear glasses, what brand/ type would you recommend?

simple list of requirements;
1) large enough to read when piloting the h27 without having to get up and see what it says
2) lights up for easy reading at night
3) robust, placement of these looks like they might get beat up a lot.

Any compass placement modifications, changes, or modifications in general are also appreciated.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Oh and she has the ports-potty, any thoughts on those? Seems like it might be a mixed bag with the weekend people vs. the cruising school of thought.
Get an "MSD" porta-potty, like a Thetford 550P MSD. The "MSD" model is plumbed so that you can pump it out overboard when in a location where it is legal to do so. Or, you can hook up the tank output to a deck plate and use a pumpout at the dock. Or you can set it up for both ways of emptying the tank.
This would be the perfect setup for your 27 footer. I have one on my Ericson 26 and, due to the efficiency of the porta potty vs. a conventional head/holding tank setup, the 5.5 gal. porta potty has the equivalent capacity (in terms of flushes and actual use) compared to the about an 18-20 gal. conventional holding tank. And it's much less fuss to install and maintain. The only thing I didn't care for with the the Thetford is the flimsy mounting brackets, but it was easy enough to come up with something more substantial.

Sep 4, 2016
Ok,
MSD toilet can do pump set up. Does the 4.0 Gal really compare to the holding tank type toilet? 4.0G is what I saw it rated at when I looked it up.

found a couple pages of the older H27 with schematics... mostly for the electrical is what I needed. Now, this may be a stupid question, BUT, I was born in a generation ruled by on demand refrigerant and compressed gasses. That being said, I know what an ice box is and does... but where is it? is it that big slop sink looking thing under the panel in the "kitchen" sink area?

Not liking the table at all. understand the idea behind the lips of it (keep stuff from falling off when boat is swaying), but thinking of making it different when I get the chance. might go for something that folds up. If not for the sole reason it is harder to fall up then down, I would also like the leg to be a little more substantial.

any one have any thoughts on a better table? I have an idea already, but for those that cruise with theirs I am open to your opinions and experiences. I would like to eventually go on a few longer coastal trips with the boat once in the water, so any ideas/ concerns from those who have done that. specifically looking at how people who use charts store and lay them out.

Thanks again guys,

Going down this weekend to work on her, will grab some pictures if I remember.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
William,

My Dad and I are boat partners with a 1983 Hunter 31. It has been great fun for us and a great way to spend time together. A book worth your purchasing is Don Casey's "This Old Boat" it is a great book for repairing and improving things. I keep a copy at home and one on the boat.

Enjoy your sailing and your projects with your Dad!

Sep 4, 2016
Hey thanks HMT. Will definitely get a copy,

We already got the engine freed up and moving. Just have to find a rebuild kit for the head. the SB8 seems to be a pretty tough engine. Working on the engine is the real big push at the moment, Electronics work good so far. still have some testing to do, and of course a laundry list of smaller things to work out on her before getting her in the water.

Thanks to every one who has aided with info and personal experience thus far.

Cheers,

William

P.S. Been taking some pictures... is there a way to post them? should I post them as the push to get her back in the water continues? don't know if this is that kind of forum or not.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Open up an account on PhotoBucket, upload your pics, and link to them. PB is free.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Hey thanks HMT. Will definitely get a copy,

We already got the engine freed up and moving. Just have to find a rebuild kit for the head. the SB8 seems to be a pretty tough engine. Working on the engine is the real big push at the moment, Electronics work good so far. still have some testing to do, and of course a laundry list of smaller things to work out on her before getting her in the water.

Thanks to every one who has aided with info and personal experience thus far.

Cheers,

William

P.S. Been taking some pictures... is there a way to post them? should I post them as the push to get her back in the water continues? don't know if this is that kind of forum or not.
William,

This forum LOVES pictures! In fact if you have a repair question you are often mildly chastised for not posting pictures. To post a picture when you are done with the text portion of your post click on upload a file, then click browse then go to the place your pictures are stored then click the file you want to upload then it will upload. You then have an option of posting it as a thumbnail or a full size picture in your post.

Sep 4, 2016
So it has been long overdue for an update,

As far as Sun Dancer goes:
I have pulled the engine and taken out the prop shaft. I have scrubbed her down inside and out, she is getting new hull paint and some electrical work soon as the weather is stable. Installed a new battery and everything powered up all nice, except for obvious problems like the GPS system; which was smashed and I knew that wouldn't work. In any case, the only things now are to get a new engine in her, and a few electrical issues: mostly replace lights, and get a new compass. My personal project will be converting the old ice box into a solid state refrigerator with Peltier junctions and a heat transfer. Not that it is a major ordeal, or absolutely necessary, but seems like a fun project just to see if it will work. Anyone done this before, or seen one? Seems like a fun little idea that shouldn't take too long and keep me from drastically revamping the kitchenette.

On the engine topic... I found a brand new 3cylender Yanmar. factory rebuilt but for a tractor. Has anyone any experience converting to marine applications? the original single cylinder engine had a cracked head and was just not worth the worry fixing it and having something else go.

Will post pictures maybe this weekend of the engine and transmission tear down and whatever else I can muster myself to do.

Cheers all,

William

P.S. is there anyone who is part of this forum down near chadwich beach / Toms River NJ? that is where Sun Dancer is and would be looking to go sailing soon as she is up to it. Any advice or someone with a Cherubini Hunter 27 who can show me the rigging scheme would be appreciated.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Hello William,
I don't know about the process to convert the yanmar for marine use, but take a look at the size requirements before you go that route. I had to bump out my engine compartment 2-inches to replace a 1GM with a 2YM15. I'm happy for the extra power. My old engine is at Mariner's Marina in Barnegat and is currently being rebuilt with new cylinder, re-bored, and new seals. The transmission was newly re-built just a few years ago. It should have new life if you want it. Your boat would be a little under-powered with it but perhaps it will be serviceable for you. Send me a PM if you like.
We had a nice stay at the Chadwick Island Marina last summer!

Sep 4, 2016
Cool,

Yea the whole thing seems like it is going to be a lot of work. Just found out today from both the Yanmar Industrial and Yanmar Marine dealers no one has any idea how to convert this engine over to marine use. Not a totally big issue, but is going to present some challenges. As far as the bigger engine compartment, I had already thought about that and had the idea of rebuilding the stairs to accommodate it. Not that it is the ideal situation, but if it is the only option it's not a big deal.