New boat for Keith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
It should sell fast at that price. I traded my O'Day plus $6k for the Pearson. The guy I traded it to had the O'Day 25 sold before I delivered it to him for $8k.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
Congrat's on the new boat Keith. It looks like its in great shape although I know you always make excellent improvements to your boats. I'm always hoping to get a previous owner like you when I'm in the used boat market. I agree with anchorclanker. That's a great price for the 26 especially given the meticulous attention you gave to her upgrades. I would suggest you get a classified ad on the sailboatowners.com web site. I sold my 222 within 3 weeks after posting the ad a couple of years ago. Good luck selling the 26, and I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of the IP 31.

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Be careful of the increased tides in Brunswick compared to the Gulf. Cross winds and thunderstorms opposing tides can get a sailor very confused when the visibility is decreased.
Thanks recess. I am going to be careful

Oct 2, 2008
Hey Keith, you can only use one boat at a time. I found that out years ago when I had my O'Day sloop and my catboat.
I agree joe, even that little renken was too much "second boat" to have. They just require too much attention. Too bad though. It would be great to have the time and money to keep a lake sailer.

Oct 2, 2008
Congrat's on the new boat Keith. It looks like its in great shape although I know you always make excellent improvements to your boats. I'm always hoping to get a previous owner like you when I'm in the used boat market. I agree with anchorclanker. That's a great price for the 26 especially given the meticulous attention you gave to her upgrades. I would suggest you get a classified ad on the sailboatowners.com web site. I sold my 222 within 3 weeks after posting the ad a couple of years ago. Good luck selling the 26, and I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of the IP 31.

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25
Thanks Dave. I should take her down to the coast. There is not a big market for sailboats up here. I think I will list her with sailboat owners.

Aug 15, 2011
macgregor mac 22 seabrook tx
Thanks Dave. I should take her down to the coast. There is not a big market for sailboats up here. I think I will list her with sailboat owners.
I live on galveston bay south of Houston and I've seen two odays( a 25 and a 26) with less upgrades go for over $8000 each and both sold within a couple of weeks, so someone is going to be very lucky when they buy yours. I have a 25 myself that I bought for$2,500 from a marina and the next week someone offered me $6000 for it! Good luck with that IP by the way, I myself dream of a 31 someday.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
The asking and selling prices change based on location. You would burn more in fuel, not to mention your time, than you would ever gain trying to move it to a different market area.

OTOH, the asking price is low for virtually any area, and for the condition and upgrades it is a steal. So if your looking to move it fast it shouldnt take long, and a buyer would be smart to drive some distance to grab it.

You could probably up it to $7500 and still move it quickly.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
Hi Keith -

I paid about the same price for an 83 O'Day 25 a little over 2 years ago that was in decent, but not pristine shape like your 26. Mine did have an inboard (some like them, others don't want the hassle and expense of maintenance so I consider that a wash when compared to a new outboard), but the interior was not as nice, I still had to fix the water intrusion problems (which you have already done), the trailer was in rougher shape, and mine didn't have all the nice upgrades that yours has. With that said, I considered the price of my 25 to be a very good deal. I would consider your 26 an outstanding deal and you should be able to move it quickly once you get the word out.

You may also consider Craigslist for local sales (watch out for the scammers), but for a wide national audience, you can't beat Trailer Sailor. I had put up fliers at local marinas and the local West Marine but didn't get much activity from those even after it sold (and before I had taken them down). You might also consider sailingtexas.com given that you want to appeal to those in the south. These online deals are all low-cost ways of advertising the boat. If you get someone to come look at it, I'm sure it will sell quickly. Plus, given the value, someone from quite far away might be willing to drive to get it. My 222 was bought by a guy in Texas (a long way from Wisconsin).

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25

Oct 2, 2008
Those are all great suggestions guys. I like the online method. I sold the little renken through Craig's list.
I had the inspection today here in Brunswick. The boat is in great shape. The bottom was as near perfect as I have ever seen. The surveyor was very through. He want to the top of the mast. Checked out every little thing and explained a lot. In addition he did some on the spot repairs for free: The engine wouldn't turn over and that ended up being a loose wire, the radio hot wire was broken, one of the spreader lights was corroded and wouldnt light, and the belts were loose on the engine. He tightened those up too. He charged $18 a foot. He didn't charge to do the repairs. Should I have given him a tip or a little extra? I'm feeling guilty or stingy.
Keith.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
So Keith's going bigger- I'm going smaller. Sale pending on a sunfish for my kids...at least that's what I'm telling them.

Oct 2, 2008
Well? Maiden voyage?
Hi recess, we will get to go down in about ten days, but will not go out in the boat untill the first week of June. I will be two weeks on and two weeks off ( to spend in Brunswick) until sept or maybe October, then i hope to take three months off and, watching the weather, sail around to Tyndall, maybe with a detour to the Bahamas.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Red Snapper season opens June 1st......you go out on June 1st....... fate is telling you to bring some strong poles! Look forward to seeing you in St. Andrews Bay. By the time you bring that boat around I will have some good natural reef fishing waypoints for you. I have a few good spots now, but I am heading out for some weeks for waypoint hunting trips.

I sail the boat for days on end in rumored areas and mark waypoints that the bottom looks good on the fishfinder. Then I drop my GoPro camera on 100lb test to video the actual bottom features. The maximum depth of the GoPro is supposed to be 200 feet, But I would not send it more than 150 feet. Of course the proof is in the actual fishing. The GoPro does let me know if the structure I am seeing is really hard reef or just hard packed sand. It eliminates places that I know will not produce good fishing and I can move on to the next waypoint to be checked.

I call it sailing with a serious purpose. If the wind is really good, I just sail and mark the chartplotter. I will come back later and investigate.

Oct 2, 2008
Red Snapper season opens June 1st......you go out on June 1st....... fate is telling you to bring some strong poles! Look forward to seeing you in St. Andrews Bay. By the time you bring that boat around I will have some good natural reef fishing waypoints for you. I have a few good spots now, but I am heading out for some weeks for waypoint hunting trips.

I sail the boat for days on end in rumored areas and mark waypoints that the bottom looks good on the fishfinder. Then I drop my GoPro camera on 100lb test to video the actual bottom features. The maximum depth of the GoPro is supposed to be 200 feet, But I would not send it more than 150 feet. Of course the proof is in the actual fishing. The GoPro does let me know if the structure I am seeing is really hard reef or just hard packed sand. It eliminates places that I know will not produce good fishing and I can move on to the next waypoint to be checked.

I call it sailing with a serious purpose. If the wind is really good, I just sail and mark the chartplotter. I will come back later and investigate.
Hi recess, your ideas and the sailing with a purpose sounds like a perfect activity for us too. My wife, from Miami, loves to fish. I am wanting to upgrade my current chart plotter to the Raymarine e7D series with built in sounder. I would love to be down there on the first.

Hopefully the buyer will close on our house May 24th. If that occurs, then we are going to live half the month on the boat in Brunswick and half up here in an apartment while I continue to work through hurricane season. Then, I hope to have accumulated enough money to cruise to the bvi, or if we r not prepared for that trip, then the keys and around to your area. If we go to the BVI, we would stay maybe four to six months. Then return to the states to work four to six, then maybe cruise again.

I get to go to the boat, now named Mystic Girl, this Saturday for a few days. It will be the first time I have been on her as the owner. We have some upgrades lined up, a refrigeration and autopilot

I am scared to take her out with just Lynn and I.

Good luck on Red Snapper opening!

Attachments

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
That is an awesome line of Red Snapper. I am green with envy about your proposed trip. You may want to look at the Abacos Islands unless you have people in the BVI you are meeting up with. More islands to cruise and closer to Florida. Or do both.

Oct 2, 2008
That is an awesome line of Red Snapper. I am green with envy about your proposed trip. You may want to look at the Abacos Islands unless you have people in the BVI you are meeting up with. More islands to cruise and closer to Florida. Or do both.
Will do!

Status
Not open for further replies.