New boat for Keith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Guys,
I signed a purchase agreement on this little lady. We are going to do the initial inspection Tuesday! GULP.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
What is that Keith, a Hunter 27 ? :confused:
Joe, she's an Island Packet 31. The IP 31 is the first sailboat I ever saw that made me think,"I want a sailboat!". Our goal is to
live aboard part of the year someday, and cruise the Bahamas, the Keys, and maybe even the Caribbean. That is what the IP is designed to do with it's shoal draft and modified full keel. They are a little slow but sturdy and reliable and she should take a grounding better than most other designs. Beamy with a lot of interior space. Good reputation.

Attachments

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello emergpa1,

"I'm down with that!" Is that still an acceptable phrase to mean "I think that is a good idea"? We were aboard an IP 27 last summer and have been thinking about the purchase of a 27 or a 31 since that time. Those boats seem to be sturdy and well built. For the time being we are sailing an Oday 272, but the IP line is still on the horizon.

Best wishes with your survey and visit to the boat.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Keith

Congratulations and good luck on the inspection. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

If you have not found it already, check out www.iphomeport.com. It has a wealth of knowledge on the IPs and owners who are willing to share.

Matt

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
What a great boat! I respect boats built to handle whatever is thrown their way and Island Packets fit that bill.
Congrats!

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Nice boat, looks well capable and comfortable. Is that the one in Milwaukee?

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Keith,
Congrats on the purchase of the Island Packet 31. I've checked those boats out for years in the boats shows and they are really put together nice. The IP was always one of my favorites. That and the Pacific Seacraft.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Those are such weatherly looking boats. I hope the inspection goes well!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Nice looking boat! Good luck on Tues.

Pretty sure I saw one on Craig's list recently in the Nj/ Md Area.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
They are not slow when the seas kick up. I have a friend with an IP. Handles very well when the wind and seas pick up. Our Pearson 323 weighs 14,000 lbs and sits in the water well when it gets rough. You appreciate all that weight when it gets snotty out there. I have always liked the lines of the IP and how well they handle rough seas.

I think you should keep that boat in Panama City. ;)

Oct 2, 2008
They are not slow when the seas kick up. I have a friend with an IP. Handles very well when the wind and seas pick up. Our Pearson 323 weighs 14,000 lbs and sits in the water well when it gets rough. You appreciate all that weight when it gets snotty out there. I have always liked the lines of the IP and how well they handle rough seas.

I think you should keep that boat in Panama City. ;)
Thanks for all the well wishes and encouraging comments. I was not dissapointed, She is indeed a beautiful boat. It is located in brunswick, Ga Very solid feel to everything. And I was surprised at how BIG she was. We spent a lot of time on her but didn't get to go out. That happens next with the marine surveyor on April 22.
Joe I agree with you. The traditional lines look very American to me. The island packet has been my dream boat since I started dreaming! I love the deck layout, the foredeck, the bowsprit and the ground tackle setup. The interior is very roomy and solid.
Hey recess, I am gonna have to keep her in Brunswick, Ga for the spring and early summer but will sail her around to Tyndall AFB late summer to early fall. I have an uncle who is an experienced sailor and will help me. I look forward to seeing u there.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Keith

Congratulations and good luck on the inspection. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

If you have not found it already, check out www.iphomeport.com. It has a wealth of knowledge on the IPs and owners who are willing to share.

Matt
Thanks Matt, I will check that site out. I have been lurking on the IPYOA.com site.
I am dismayed that we cannot visually inspect the chainplates. We checked the hull moisture in that area and it was dry. Still they could be corroded. I have researched and found the factory has a refit service to replace the chainplates, but it is very pricey. I will have to try to budget for that as well as new standing rigging given her age. Have you any experience with replacing your rigging or chain plates?.
The survey is April 22. I don't anticipate any surprises and should close on the boat before the end of April.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Thanks Matt, I will check that site out. I have been lurking on the IPYOA.com site.
I am dismayed that we cannot visually inspect the chainplates. We checked the hull moisture in that area and it was dry. Still they could be corroded. I have researched and found the factory has a refit service to replace the chainplates, but it is very pricey. I will have to try to budget for that as well as new standing rigging given her age. Have you any experience with replacing your rigging or chain plates?.
The survey is April 22. I don't anticipate any surprises and should close on the boat before the end of April.
Keith

Unfortunately? I cannot help you regarding the chain plates. our boat has spent it's life in fresh water where the shainplates are less of a worry.

Replacing them will not be easy since it means dismantling some of the cabinetry, especially in the head.

If you do a search on chain plate replacement on iphomeport.com you will find quite a few posts to read.

During your survey, you may want to remove the chainplate cover plates and check the caulking. If it's in good shape, then it's an indication that the chainplates may not be in bad shape. You can always ask the current owner about his maintenance schedule for the caulking as well.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Matt

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Be careful of the increased tides in Brunswick compared to the Gulf. Cross winds and thunderstorms opposing tides can get a sailor very confused when the visibility is decreased.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hey Keith, you can only use one boat at a time. I found that out years ago when I had my O'Day sloop and my catboat.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Thats an awful lot of boat for the money your asking. I am sure I share others hopes that it goes to someone who will appreciate and care for her as well as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.