New Beneteau 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2009
Beneteau 31 Lewisville, TX
Hi,

My wife and I just took delivery of a new Beneteau 31 on Lewisville Lake in TX. I notice that SBO has very little info on the B31. Are there any owners out there interested in sharing tips?

Thanks!

Ben.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Ben, we are building a web site for B323 owners that may be a help to you. http://www.beneteau323owners.net . The 31 replaced the 323 in (2008?) Beneteau's lineup and though there were some major/some minor changes, maybe there will be something you can use.

Jun 28, 2009
beneteau 31 southern california
Hello - I too am a recent B31 owner...thus far I've really enjoyed the boat and only come across the following problems: screws holding the closet/cupboard doors shut have proven too small and have had them pull away from the door on more than one occasion - been replacing them with the next longer size and wood gluing shut the hole when reattaching, my prop zincs need to be replaced ever two months...seems often to me...that and my joker valve in the head failed this weekend while away...other than that love the boat!

Jan 22, 2008
I know my 323 sat on the dealer's lot for more than a half year, so it didn't surprise me that the joker had taken a set and died just a couple months after I got the boat. They replaced it, and I've had no other problems since then.... Every two months on the zincs seems excessive, but not unheard of. How do the neighbors fare on theirs?

May 3, 2009
I haven't had any of those problems yet, although I've only had it about 2 months. I haven't dived to look at the zinc yet, and my area is not conducive to doing so. Are you on fresh water or salt?

The only problem I've had with the boat proper is the navigation lights were miswired so that the steaming light ran all the time, but the dealer fixed that promptly. We've had some issues getting the aftermarket bimini (dealer supplied) right. As designed it interfered with the boom when the bimini was folded. They've adjusted it, and we're stil working through whether there are interference issues.

Do you have any interesting accessories? How did you organize that cavernous lazarette?

Jun 28, 2009
I haven't had any of those problems yet, although I've only had it about 2 months. I haven't dived to look at the zinc yet, and my area is not conducive to doing so. Are you on fresh water or salt?

The only problem I've had with the boat proper is the navigation lights were miswired so that the steaming light ran all the time, but the dealer fixed that promptly. We've had some issues getting the aftermarket bimini (dealer supplied) right. As designed it interfered with the boom when the bimini was folded. They've adjusted it, and we're stil working through whether there are interference issues.

Do you have any interesting accessories? How did you organize that cavernous lazarette?
I'm in salt water - only accessories thus far are mounting a direct-wired Sirius Satellite Radio and an EPIRB - I'm going to either replace the head or the pump unit before the year is over...additionally I'm starting to look into adding another water tank. I can barely make it two days with the factory tank while at sea (and showering for two each day).

I'll admit when I got the boat I had these big plans for the lazarette and ended up but throwing everything in there (not very salty!) unceremoniously.

May 3, 2009
Do you just have the single water tank under the quarter berth? I gather there was a factory option for an extra tank under the V-berth, so it should be fairly easy to add one there. Mine seems to ride a little aft-heavy, so I suspect the designers expected more forward tankage.

Jun 28, 2009
I just have the single aft water tank. From looking at the beneteauusa.com site's parts search there are two different sizes for the tank under the v-berth...it seems like a pretty straight forward installation...I agree mine floats aft-heavy as well...I'll for sure go with the larger of the two tanks. Just got a quote for a feathering prop at $2200...I think I'll be doing that replacement on the first haul out after next summer :)

I'm in the process of getting a handicap rating - since its a new design there isn't a PHRF rating that anyone can tell...what's the fastest you've had the boat under sail thus far?

Do you just have the single water tank under the quarter berth? I gather there was a factory option for an extra tank under the V-berth, so it should be fairly easy to add one there. Mine seems to ride a little aft-heavy, so I suspect the designers expected more forward tankage.

May 3, 2009
I'm in the process of getting a handicap rating - since its a new design there isn't a PHRF rating that anyone can tell...what's the fastest you've had the boat under sail thus far?
On our orientation sail with the dealer, with crazy winds, my handheld GPS recorded a peak speed of 8.1 kts. I'm not sure I believe it. The boat's speed log showed just over 7 kts on the headsail alone at one point. I'm not sure I believe that either. I think both of those are above the theoretical hull speed.

Since then, I regularly see low 6 kts, but nothing like that first day. I don't have a handicap from our club yet.

For the record, we have the furling main option.

Jan 22, 2008
I think you can believe the GPS. My 323 hit 8.6 downwind. This is a very shallow hull and she can fly- even on jib alone!

Jun 28, 2009
I too had big suspicions regarding my better than expected speed under sail...during the purchase process my dealer made a big deal about the new hull shape and the kind of stellar performance to expect (groupe finot yada yada).

I've hit such high speeds I was curious as to whether or not my speed meter needed calibration...since then I've confirmed my speed with the in-water speed meter, onboard gps and handheld gps...and i've broken and held 9 knots+ on a reach in 20+ knot wind many times...damn boat moves...I've done the 'hull speed' calculation based on the LWL # and am pleased to invalidate that rule of thumb. Oh and i misspoke earlier when I said the feathering prop quote was $2200 - I re-read my Email from the vendor - its $2600.

I think you can believe the GPS. My 323 hit 8.6 downwind. This is a very shallow hull and she can fly- even on jib alone!

I too purchased a new Beneteau 31 in March. I took delivery in St. Petersburg and sailed it home to Ft Walton Beach, FL. Like many of you I found the boat heavy in the stern. We added a bow water tank (dealer installed) that doubled its water capacity. I keep it full to better balance the boat - it does elevate the stern. I am next looking to add an asymetrical spinnaker. Does anyone have one and if so what is your opinion of the brand you have? What are its dimensions? Thanks for any response on the spinnaker. Mickey, Ft Walton Beach, FL

May 3, 2009
For any of the other Bene31 Owners in the US:

Do you have the factory installed air conditioner unit? If so, can you check the electrical data label for your model and input voltage? I noticed that mine is labeled as a 200-230VAC 50hz model, but it's wired to a US standard 120VAC circuit. It works, so I am wondering if it is mislabeled, or a Euro model that has been adapted to 120VAC.

M

MCB

Exceeding theoretical hull speed

Exceeding 'displacement hull speed' meant the boat was beginning to plane.

[QUOTE=...and i've broken and held 9 knots+ on a reach in 20+ knot wind many times...damn boat moves...I've done the 'hull speed' calculation based on the LWL # and am pleased to invalidate that rule of thumb.

May 3, 2009
Never Mind

For any of the other Bene31 Owners in the US:

Do you have the factory installed air conditioner unit? If so, can you check the electrical data label for your model and input voltage? I noticed that mine is labeled as a 200-230VAC 50hz model, but it's wired to a US standard 120VAC circuit. It works, so I am wondering if it is mislabeled, or a Euro model that has been adapted to 120VAC.
Never mind on this--we figured it out. We tracked down serial numbers with the A/C vendor, and it looks like Beneteau had installed the wrong unit, realized the mistake and replaced it with a 115V version, but left the old electrical box--which is the same for both voltages. So, no worries other than the confusion.

pearle

Aug 31, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 31 FCYC
New 31 owner too!

zincs spent after 2 months is an issue - might be caused by your mooring spot. If they have metal posts in the water or other boats are causing a charge. I have heard of dangling a zinc on a line attached to the prop shaft by an alligator clip. Has anyone tried this?
Also looking for an asymetrical - there seems to be a good price right here on the Sailboat Owners store - very light weight for a good price. Has anyon eelse tried this sail or the other canvas items available in the store?

Re: Never Mind

What brand/model AC unit did your dealer install and where is the unit located in your boat? Mickey, Ft Walton Beach, FL

May 3, 2009
What brand/model AC unit did your dealer install and where is the unit located in your boat? Mickey, Ft Walton Beach, FL
Mine is a Cruisair "Stowaway Turbo" self-contained unit. It's installed under the port-forward setee cushion (the cushion against the forward cabin bulkhead.)

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
We would be very interested in sharing tips; we have found interesting fittings to install lexan sheets in front of the shelves in the saloon... the hand holds will see new life as towel bars in the head compartment... we also bent a lexan sheet to make the shelf behind the v-berth usable.

May 3, 2009
We would be very interested in sharing tips; we have found interesting fittings to install lexan sheets in front of the shelves in the saloon... the hand holds will see new life as towel bars in the head compartment... we also bent a lexan sheet to make the shelf behind the v-berth usable.
That's interesting. Do you have any pictures?

I'd also like to replace the cockpit table arrangement with something more useful. I've got a small white fiberglass table. I see pictures on the Beneteau site showing a fold out teak table. What do other people have.

BTW, I tell passengers not to use the metal shelf fiddles as handholds. I don't trust them to stay put under stress. The wooden fiddle on the shelf above makes for a much sturdier handhold. Not that anyone will stop to think what they're grabbing on to if they loose balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.