Need to re-seat the big front window on a Hunter 29.5

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I patched a leak in the fixed side ports on our Hunter Vision several years ago. The biggest issue is getting as much caulk old out before redoing it. What have you got to lose
If you decide to purchase a new window I would recommend that you have the fabricator drill the holes (do not drill them yourself). This can be expensive if you crack the new acrylic.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Drilling holes is not that risky: tape the plexi on both sides if the mask has been removed, place it on a piece of wood to stabilize it, drill slowly with a drill press, not a hand drill. You will not be able to control the bite of the drill bit with a hand drill. Over drill the holes, so the expansion and contraction of the plexi will not press against the screws. That is where cracking most often occurs after installation. I did the front plexi in my Telstar. It is 5 feet wide!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Interesting how different manufacturers address the fixed deck lens issue. Beneteau does not advise screws thru/into the acrylic lens. Instead, they recommend using wood hold down cleats that are screwed into the recessed deck surface to hold the lens under pressure until the adhesive / sealant completely cures. A few days later, the cleats and screws are removed and the screw holes are the sealed. With the different amount of thermal expansion that occurs in the lens and also the deck material, seems that screws would induce fractures in the lens over time.
I agree with many others that these fixed lens cause quite a bit of grief and expense over the years. Much better to eliminate them in the design phase and install deck hatches instead. Hatches would improve ventilation are much easier to to repair in future.

Jun 26, 2013
Hunter 280 OK
FWIW, when I replaced the side windows on my H280, I used 3M double sided tape to secure it in place, then Dow 795 to seal. Side windows don't have as much bend as the front window though. Also, you get one shot with the 3M tape, so I used shims to guide the window into place.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
There are different flavors of that 3M double adhesive tape. Some are fairly strong & some are incredibly strong. Know which one you have before you start.

May 10, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Beaver Lake, Roger, AR.
I reset two opening hatches and installed two winches back at the helm. All went very well and the two leaks in the hatches do not leak any more. I’ve got a tube of 795, razor blades as well as some dental tools. Going to try to remove and reseal the vertical sealant around the large window. I’ve found that sealing is all about the preparation as so many have said. Taping everything that I don’t want sealant on has been outstanding. Thanks for all the input.

On the winch install, I took the advice of a source I can no longer remember but from a logical point I thought it was outstanding. If any one here pointed me to it , thanks. Drilling the holes twice the size needed and filling with epoxy to seal the core balsa so that the core stays strong was something that while not a primary seal, it does give a sense of security.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
I had a Hunter 34 flush window substantially leak the beginning of last summer (2018) which really ticked me off as I had resealed all the other ones and the opening ports the previous winter but not this one! Took a lot of time to carefully pull, clean and seal them.
So as not to waste the season, I bought a tube of white Flex Seal caulk after watching numerous annoying ads with the "WHAHOO" guy on TV thinking "yah, right" at the time. With low expectations and little to lose, I carefully masked the area so as not to make a mess and applied it neatly in a thin line one early sunrise before leaving on a sail. No one can tell it's there unless looking for it and it worked perfectly for the summer in spite of many long, heavy rain storms! I was delighted and surprised because it was all just too easy. The repair stood up, but for the sake of being stupid I am going to do a proper job this winter and pull the window while on the hard.
It is thick enough not to run down a 15 degree slope and stayed in place while hardening.

This is VERY interesting to me. The leak on the right side of what I will call the windshield is very small and I know the area that it is coming from, but a leak none the same. I have to leave a trash bag and towel inside every time I leave the boat. Do you know if he used the Flex-steel caulk tube? Is it thick enough to not run down a 5 degree slope while it thickens / cures?

Is there anyone out there that has tried to patch rather than a full pull out clean and reinstall. If I were to do this I would remove and patch 12 inches either side of the leak.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Installed Plexiglas portlights on my H31. Annapolis Marine Plastics advised against drilling holes and using mounting screws. I used Sikaflex 291. Very happy with the results. Do not use 4200, it won't adhere to the Plexiglas at all.

Aug 22, 2017
Installed Plexiglas portlights on my H31. Annapolis Marine Plastics advised against drilling holes and using mounting screws. I used Sikaflex 291. Very happy with the results. Do not use 4200, it won't adhere to the Plexiglas at all.
3M advises not to use the x200 adhesives for mounting windows unless you also use mechanical fasteners. Some of the glazing adhesives don't have that prohibition. The stuff from Dow is one of them. The Sikaflex 291 is probably the same.

I am curious if the people at AMP gave you a reason why they recommended against mechanical fasteners. I don't have any reason to think that they gave bad advice. I am just curious to learn what their reason(s) might have been.

May 10, 2017
I’ve received some great advice. I’ve decided to replace the big front Topside window. The current one is “crackled” if you know what I mean. The rough dimension is 18”x 32”. I have a sheet of 1/4 plexiglass. I have two questions.
1. The window dimensions are all curves. I’m thinking I’ll cut it with a jigsaw with VERY fine teeth. Will this work?
2. I would prefer not to drill holes in the plexiglass. No real reason other than if I can do this with out the holes I like it better. I’ve leaned the sheet I have at a 45 degree angle. Place a small heater under it and it has deflected about an inch over 48 inches. The plexiglass seems to bend very easily. Four 5 pound bagies of sand, one on each corner will deflect the window enough. Will Dow 795 hold this after it “cures”? How long does it take 795 to cure?

Any other advice?

May 10, 2017
Looking at the TDS for Dow 795 it list partial curing in 7-14 days, and full cure in 21 days.

http://www.smalleyandcompany.com/docs/pds/DCS 795.pdf

Looks like I’ll need to drill four corner holes. I can’t let the boat sit unused for 21 days with sand bags on it. I’ll take advice on drilling the holes. No drill press available.

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
I did mine last year on my Hunter 280. Dow 795 is the correct material to use. Once you remove the fasteners, you need to break the old adhesive seal. You do this using strong nylon fish line. Carefully, I used a large needle with the fish line attached from the inside push the needle through the adhesive in a spot where the end of the d needle can be pulled through on the outside. With the fish line on each side, use blocks of wood to create a handle with someone inside and outside start sawing with the fish line around the window and the center. You may need a putty knife to "gently" pry the window up. Good cleaning both surfaces and using the DOW place the window back in place.

Good Luck!!

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
Reused the window and fasteners. The fasteners are really only to align the window.

May 10, 2017
So just a quick update on my project. I ordered my 3/8 thick 24 x 48 plexiglass sheet, from e street plastics. Great folks, great product. https://www.estreetplastics.com/. I ended up cutting it with a vibrating multi tool with a semi circle cutting head.

9C3510AB-96FE-47FF-982F-99C6BD3F3E70.jpeg

I’ve decided not to drill holes or use screws. This means that I will have to put a pre bend in the window. Without the pre bend most of the caulk would be expunged from the center areas where the pressure would be the greatest. To get the prebend I used ratchet straps a and a heat gun.

FC759085-AB13-4F5F-AF04-099DA9D30C30.jpeg

I got about an inch of bend using the heat gun but stoped because too much would be as bad as not enough. I’ve created a bit of a solar oven closing in the bottom and let this sit in the sun for a couple days.

60E5D39B-813B-41F2-AAD4-1CA7FB4B35B3.jpeg

Bend came out great. I’ll install it some time this week.

Aug 22, 2017
Neat trick with the solar oven. Thanks for posting.

I would have expected that you would have needed a metal flat edge across the hooks on the straps to prevent getting divots in those areas. I love learning something new.

May 10, 2017
Funny you say that. Actually you are correct. On the second day as I was looking at the window, I noticed the rainbow like circular colors around the hooks meaning some distortion in the plexiglass. I changed and added what you say but it was wood. Took a 2x4 used a date blade to cut a 7/16 inch wide slot and lined 100% cotton gauze in the top. Width of the slot was critical so I would not have to make it too deep as I didn’t want the wood going too far out onto the top surface of the plexiglass. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures.

Nice catch.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
On both my 29.5 and 38 i did this job. It’s really not complicated. It’s all in the prep. Use Dow 795, make sure the tubes are “fresh” and have not been sitting on the chandlers shelf for a long while.
Make sure you clean all, did i mention all the old stuff off. Use Achol as CD says never use acetone on acrylic - it will craze it.
I get my plexi glass cut locally it you need to replace it. The original was flat, it takes the curve over time. When you put it in on the 29.5 I prepped it, did a thick bead of 795 laid in the spot and weighted with bags of sand 9 50 lbs. 4 screws on in each corner with over sized hole in the glass and fender washer under the heads. Two days later i removed the screws, removed the fender washers, replaced the screws back in the holes with a dap of 795. 4 days after that i removed the bags of sand and knifed the seam with a razor blade (horizontal across the window and deck bridging the gap) and presto it looks like you know what you are doing. Hasn’t leaked since.