Need jibing knowledge

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Sailing my Cal 21 I jibed three times today.
The way I learned was to haul in on the mainsheet as the boat turns, having it in tight as the stern crosses the wind, then ease it back out on the other tack.
This worked fine the first two jibes.
But on the third jibe, either the wind was stronger or I got hit by a gust. As the stern crossed the wind and the boom crossed over, the boat heeled suddenly, a lot, and broached.
I'm wondering if I should have very quickly eased the mainsheet after the turn to prevent the broach?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It sounds to me like you have it. I usually pull the main sheet in hard, make my turn, then ease it out as needed.
Sometimes I tie in a preventer for downwind. Then I need to remove that too for a jibe.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
It sounds to me like you have it. I usually pull the main sheet in hard, make my turn, then ease it out as needed.
Sometimes I tie in a preventer for downwind. Then I need to remove that too for a jibe.
Agreed - plus just before jibing head away a bit so you are further from an accidental jibe while you are attending to pulling the main in. The idea (at least mine) behind having the main in tight before turning is it does'nt build up as much momentum if it does not have as far to travel.

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Let me add some info:
Say the wind is from due south, 180 degrees.
I'm running downwind, steering a course of 10 degrees.
The wind is on the starboard side of the mainsail.
I give the command, "Prepare to jibe."
The crew hauls in the mainsheet as far as it will come in, to a close-hauled position.
The boat is not broaching.
I turn the boat to a course of 350.
The wind gets on the port side of the mainsail.
Exact same situation as before the jibe, except opposite hand.
The boat broaches.
Why?

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well as the jibe starts happening (boom starts coming over) steer so as not to jibe, but not enough as to really not jibe.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
You'll pretty much have it all under control once you've grown another couple of hands and perhaps a knee, or two. It's such a newbie misconception that a boat can be sailed with just two hands and feet.
Seriously though, the person on the helm needs to anticipate a broach before it happens. From experience, you now know that it can happen, perhaps 33% of the time or more. So, after the sail has come across, start easing the sheet and putting the helm down a bit. At a certain point, your boat will no longer want to broach anymore and you can steer to course, trim the sheet and relax.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In a 21 foot boat in less than 12 knots a breeze, leave it all the way out until you're dead downwind. Then just grab the main sheet and throw the whole thing over to the other side. Done. I Jibe boats up to 35 feet this way.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
In a 21 foot boat in less than 12 knots a breeze, leave it all the way out until you're dead downwind. Then just grab the main sheet and throw the whole thing over to the other side. Done
Somewhere here, there's video of Pia doing that. Quite handily too.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
for end boom setups I do the same as JackDaw. for mid boom I pull the sheet about 1/2 way

Les